Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lug nut removal help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lug nut removal help

Hi Guys,

I`m a new jag owner 2004 x type sport and have a question about my wheels (18 chrome factory)
they seem to have lug nut caps on them and i can`t get them turn. My question is are they reverse thread? or push on maybe thanks for any help.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Default RE: lug nut removal help

They are normal thread. Sometimes the stainless steel caps get mishappen and it's a bit hard for you to get the socket over them. May need toTAP the socket on with rubber a mallet to shape the cap again? They may also have been over tightened and in that case you may have to extend your wrench arm with a piece of pipe slipped over it for a bit more leverage.Careful not to break the wheel bolt. I got rid of my factory nuts with the stainless capsand got solid chrome instead.

PS don't foget to introduce yourself and your cat when you get a chance

Old 11-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had nothing but very bad experience with the factory lug-nuts. They may have been abused by a previous owner, but the first time I tried to take the wheels off, I ended-up having to chisel-off the covers on 3 of them, just to get 'em to turn.
In my very humble opinion, it's a poor design.

I've been looking for an inexpensive alternative to replace them all with.

Anybody?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

It is very easy to ding the caps on the lug nuts especially when the nuts are hard to remove.
I believe the washer design on the lug nut is for use with the alloy wheels to keep the turning steel nut from direct contact with the alloy causing wear.
The first time I removed my wheel I had problems with several lug nuts and one wheel being stuck on the hub. The problem nuts were siezed up and the wheel was siezed to the hub and took at least an hour to remove. Now every time I remove the wheels I use anti-sieze on the lugs and on the washer part of the nuts. Also I smear anti-sieze on the back side of the wheel where it contacts the steel hub. Since I started doing this I've not had a problem removing the wheels.
There seems to be a chemical reaction causing somebonding between the alloy wheels and the steel parts.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

I replaced all of mine with solid chrome with the washer, for my factory wheels, from a company called LA Wheel & Tire. I think it was about $140 US for a set of 20. They were pretty much an exact match to the factory without the annoying stainless steel outer cap.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

that nice little lugwrench thats in your trunk....throw it away and buy a 4 way, that pos does nothing but damage lug nuts..along with the tire guys that spin a couple nuts before they realise they got the wrong size socket

Old 11-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a set of wheels lugs from this vendor LA Wheel & Tire, but through ebay, and I only payed $54.80 (20 lugs) including free shipping! They are solid metal w/o the annoying caps.

The following users liked this post:
Comrade Gibby (11-06-2013)
Old 11-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome deal. I think you'll be happy with them. I have and this is will be my second winter season with them.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BRUTAL

that nice little lugwrench thats in your trunk....throw it away and buy a 4 way, that pos does nothing but damage lug nuts..
+1 ..I pretzelized my lug wrench trying to remove a seized (way over-torqued!!!)lug nut. I then proceeded to spin the chrome cap off the lug nut while simultaniouslystripping the nut itself. I ultimately had to break out my nut extractor kit and remove what was left of the lug nut. [:@][:@][:@]

Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM

Are the lugs standard size?

A mechanic I know said he didnt think they were and a "normal" lug wrench or socket wouldnt work and I should just take it to the dealer for a tire rotation.

If I buy new lugs, can I then get them rotated anywhere in the future?

My first Jag, so I'm being cautious.

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Strafe, I use a 19mm socket to pull mine off and on. I use a star bar to pull them off and then the star bar to get them snug. But, I do the final torquing with a torque wrench to make sure I don't warp the discs over time. I torque the lugnuts to 100 ft-lbs.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Strafe, I use a 19mm socket to pull mine off and on. I use a star bar to pull them off and then the star bar to get them snug. But, I do the final torquing with a torque wrench to make sure I don't warp the discs over time. I torque the lugnuts to 100 ft-lbs.
Thanks for the info! That's what I needed to know.

Do you still use the oem lugs?

Old 06-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
I torque the lugnuts to 100 ft-lbs.
100ftlbs aseems a bit much? Isn't the recommended, especially on aluminum wheels like 75?

Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 PM

Agreed. 90 to 95 maximum torque (depending if anti-seize is applied).

Anyone buy or know where to buy replacement Lugs and Studs for use with the 18" Aruba rims (so looking for Lug with the washer)? Any aftermarket or alternative Make/Model I can use at an Autozone/Advance/O'Reilly's? The solid chrome would be nice but no parts place sells either Lugs or Studs to replace on the X Type. Anyone have luck using a Lug and Stud off of say, Contour/Mystique/LS?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 AM

I own a 2002 X-Type with 2.5 engine and auto tranny. Just replaced ALL OEM lugnuts which I purchased from O'Reillys/Checkers for a total of $33.80 ($1.69 per lug). I had a local tire shop do the dirty work for $10.00. The brand is called Dorman with an item number of DOR 611-104.1. Word of advise, if you will do the job yourself and will throw away the OEM nuts, drill a small hole in the middle and spray anti-seize in the hole (i.e. WD-40 or such). Drive around to heat up the studs. Go to your garage, raise car and give tire a few kicks (this will further help loosen the lug nuts). Lower and with a breaker bar and proper size impact socket, loosen lug nuts. Remember, "Lefty Loosey...Righty Tighty." BTW, I have driven surface road and freeways about 300 miles since the new lug nuts have been installed and re-checked lug nuts with torque wrench and all is well. IMO, best to spend the $10 bucks to have the pros do this.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Just a note to the uninformed. If you apply any sort of anti-sieze to the lugnuts, you actually need to LOWER the applied torque by a certain amount (depends on the lube used, if in doubt, let me know and I will see what I can find out). Most lugnuts are designed to go on with no lube and therefore have a higher running torque and require more force to turn them once they start to get snug. By applying a lube, you are adding a slippery surface to the equation and to get the same sort of clamping force, you need to apply a lower applied torque. If I remember right, assuming that the dry lugnut is a relative value of 1 (ie, stud should have say 100 ft-lbs of torque applied, you need to apply 100 ft-lbs of torque), using a lube like say Molykote M55 is a value of 0.83 (or, only need to torque to 83 ft-lbs to achieve the same clamping force as that for a dry stud being torqued to 100 ft-lbs). Every lube has a value like this and if I do some looking around, I can find that relative number.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 AM

Takes Thermo. Duly noted on the lube. Have a great weekend all and have fun with the cat!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont mean to revive such an old thread but I too have issues with my lugs and contemplating ordering some oem ones to replace the rounded ones i have on there or if you guys know if these would fit 12x1 5 Chrome Mag Lug Nuts w Washer Brand New Wheel Nuts 13 16" Hex Set of 20 | eBay

Quick Reply: lug nut removal help