X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAJOR drivetrain problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MAJOR drivetrain problem

Drove the car in the snow and although i had a bit of fun i didnt flog on it. but now it is in trouble.

before this happened i Changed the tranfer case fluid and found little fluid in it upon draining it. Flushed and refilled it with Royal purple as it should be done. The snow started went out and drove around. was spinning the tires a few times to get up the driveway. the front wheels barely had any power to them. Drove it today on clean roads and after a little fun on some still covered roads i take it to go eat and when i go back out i put it in first and let out the clutch and it clunks real loud and then no power to any of the tires. just freewheels in every gear and grinds and clunks. Trailered it home and havnt had a chance to look at it do to it being out in the snow at the bottom of my steep driveway.

Anyone have any idea if this is the transmission, clutch, or transfer case. The gears and clutch all work as they should... no power to the wheels though. Im thinking transfer case personally.

oh and the transfer case was replaced under warranty 13 months ago. Did the fluid b/c the seal was already leaking again. Now i am stuck withthe bill bc they did not fix it right the first time. no telling how long it has been leaking. wonder how much a T/C will cost as i will be doing the work myself this time.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: MAJOR drivetrain problem

I would check to make sure one of the axles didn't pop out first. If there is an axle out the grinding noise you hear may be the end splines of the axle grinding against the splines inside either the t-case or the transmission and the clunk could be the axle actually trying to right itself and the torque just blows it back out. Make sure you inspect the splines before trying to jam the axle back in as the rounded over corners will stop the axle from going back in. If you find no axles popped out I would suspect the transfercase, especially if it looks like a grenade went off inside and there are parts, gears and case material on the ground. Did you see my post about the most common failure with X-type t-cases. It said "most transfercase failures I see are cars in the snow that suddenly catch traction on one wheel and BANG the transfercase explodes like a grenade".

Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 PM

lol somehow i find humor in your post despite the trouble. but i will check that. i had a significant amount of gear oil and a pungent smell of hot gear oil when it did it. But it was cracking when i was turning right before hand. i am wondering if ice didnt get wedged in the cv shalfs and pop them out somehow. I havnt had a chance to get under the car but it looks intact as far as the T/C goes. I will hope strongly it is only the CV axel out. i might have to go get the snow shovel and flashlight out [&:]

Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Ive seen 1, strip splines off axle shaft, and yes it was a manual also, wouldnt do it on the lift and had to show the guy working on it why it wouldnt move when on the ground, but fine in the air with no weight or load. You may get lucky...but then again

Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 PM

well after finally getting it in the garage up my steep driveway i jacked it up to have a look-see. What i found...

The transfer case is in almost 2 separate pieces [X(]

Now what i need to know is..i had this replaced along with the seal twice by a jaguar dealer. the seal was leaking again and the transfer case dried out. i did not notice until december and the 12 month unlimited mile warranty expired in november. is this a losing battle or what?

Also anyone know what the parts involved are going to cost and what special tools will be needed? or am i better off parting this out?

Old 01-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

If you had the t-case replaced a couple times under warranty and the last time was just over a year ago I would certainly try to get Jaguar to pay for it even though you are beyond the 12 months. You have much better chances if you are a regular customer at your local dealer and the car was maintained there with service records available ie. you had the oil changed a couple of months ago at the dealer and they didn't note any leaks from the t-case. Get the picture? Have the car checked at the dealer and if they dont seem to want to help right off the bat call 18004jaguar and follow prompts to customer service.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 PM

i will see if i can get pics. its not in a good spot to take.

but yes i am going to try calling the dealership after that i will be contacting jaguar. Thanks a lot real_tech i appreciate the help and advice.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jagxtype - sorry to hear about the troubles. I have an 04 3.0/Auto. The transfer case failed out of warranty by a few weeks and 4K miles. I spoke to the dealer and called 1-800-4jaguar. It ended up costing me about $400.00 when all was said and done. I think it is definitely worth pursuing. For what it is worth the total bill for mine was estimated at $4,400. Jaguar even called and mailed me follow ups to make sure I was happy with the repair. In my opinion they sure stepped up to take care of me. I did not buy the car new and it had 4,000 miles when I bought it.

Let us know what happens and good luck.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:41 PM

heykeith thanks for the advice. That is really easing me a bit. I sure hope it works.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

yes, Jag and dealers do step up and try to help with things like this, but if you were a warranty repair only customer and no customer pay work like pads, alignments etc...you have very little ammo to fire with. Its more a loyalty type help more than anything

Old 01-29-2009, 01:54 PM

What Brutal says is true. The dealer does do some service on my car and I do some. Also I tend to make it a habit of bringing in a dozen donuts and coffee when the car goes in. Don't underestimate the power of TIPS go a LONG way!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 PM

yeah brutal. i understand the loyalty. i would have work done there but i am very mechanically inclined and do all repairs myself. so we will just have to see what happens in my case. plus i cant have them doing my repairs when they will not give me a loaner and they are over 70 miles away from my house. I suppose i will find out shortly.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM

hey jagxtype, i know how you feel. my transfer case also crapped out on me a few months ago. It cost me $2k to fix using my local mechanic and a used part from the junkyard. I had the same sypmtoms, my mechanic showed me the opened transfer case and all the gears were stripped. I lost confidence in my jag after it left me stranded. But I hope for the best for you. I hope the dealer pulls through! I wonder if they will complain that you used royal purple instead of the genuine jag oil? will they notice? just curious?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:02 PM

theres nothing left in there. it is all over a parking lot and in my garage and it is black despite flushing it over and over again. it will sit until i get it fixed cheap or find a cheap one on ebay or at a junkyard. i am going out to buy a truck tomorrow. just wondering though hanky... did you try to fight it with jaguar or anything?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am so sorry to hear this! This is an x-type owners worst fear. Did the car run rough prior to your fluid change? I wonder what would have caused it to expode? Do you ahve any pictures you can link to? I'm very sorry man!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

do you have insurance? It sounds like you spun out on the road and went into a bank of snow but were able to make it home before the car quit...

Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 PM

christo...

yes the car was getting loud. thats when i investigated. too late i suppose.

Jvegas...i really did think about that. but i have 2 wrecks recently (one in my jag and one in my truck...truck wasnt my fault but my passenger got hurt so i had to claim it in the wonderful state of illinois)on my insurance already and i am about to turn 21 so i want my rates to drop. but who knows...it was a snow related destruction i am sure.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Jag, sorry for your luck. At least you are getting the best advice money can't buy.

Vegas...remind me never to play poker with you. I'd be left with just enough to pay for free advice.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 AM

good advice is abundant around here. I can always count on this place!

well i am going to buy an s10 to pimp tomorrow till i decide what to do because it sucks being 20 with nothing to drive on a weekend. [8D]

Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

An X type to an S10?

That's like going from dating Heidi Klum to Whoopi Goldberg.

Quick Reply: MAJOR drivetrain problem