X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual transmission, won't go in gear when cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default manual transmission, won't go in gear when cold

hello all, so have a new problem. I'm leaning towards the slave cylinder, but hoping something easier to get to!

so, when I start the car in the morning, it will not go into reverse or drive. with some pushing, it will force into first, but I hate doing that! but I turn the car off, put it in first or reverse, start the car with clutch in, and drive off. it will still be a little stubborn to go into other gears as well, but as the engine reaches warm temp, it shifts better... that baffles me a bit.

so, ideas?

2004 xtype, manual 6 cylinder AWD, 160K miles

thanks in advance!

Jon

Old 10-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

If you don't have the scratch for a clutch master or slave cylinder, have someone bleed it, and it will probably buy you some time. I think I have the generic bleeding method on my posts somewhere. Don't keep using your current method of taking off, or you will be replacing a clutch also......be cool....Mike

The following users liked this post:
dolamyte (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:28 PM

Mike,

I tried thumbing through your fifteen pages of posts, (wow...) but I didn't see a subject that looked like one for the method to bleed the clutch cylinder. does anyone have a link to that procedure?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

It took me awhile too. It is the post on 8/16/15, that says Misfire Question and Clutch Pedal Play. Not having ever seen a manual shift X Type, there is a lot left there for your imagination. It is one of my typical novels, so light a cigar......Be cool...Mike

Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it harder to move shifter when it's cold? If so change your gearbox oil, it gets too thick when cold. You can try driving it in first gear with higher revs for a short period, it will warm up the oil quite fast and then it should go between gears normally.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Default update!

So, this has been a long time coming... sorry for not being the forum good sport and letting others know what was discovered. here's the story:

so, upon not wanting to go in gear when motor is cold, I would just turn car off, put in first or reverse as needed, start car, and go. other gears worked ok. anyway, one day, petal just fell to floor. so I got it in second and drove it a couple blocks home slowly. parked it, and didn't mess with it until I was able to get money for a clutch replacement. after calling dealership, and other shops, the slave cylinder is apparently in the gearbox on this model, so it has to be pulled. and to pull the gearbox, they have to pull motor. so 14.5 hours labor to change, they recommended changing entire clutch, at 2300 American dollars...

well, I got money, and before I brought it down, wanted to change a part on front wheel assembly before I did. left car idling for a bit. and to my surprise, the clutch petal came up and started operating again! so instead of a tow truck, I drove it to the dealership myself. while there, they discovered that a previous owner had changed the master cylinder and did not hook up the slave cylinder line to it. the cap was still on the cylinder! they cleaned out the line, removed cap, bled and installed. clutch all better! only 220 dollars! so invested the rest of the money on front wheel bearings and rear control arms. hope this was entertaining!

Jon