X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass airflow sensor??!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mass airflow sensor??!!

Hi, I am new to this forum and Just bought my first Jag in July. I paid 14K cash for my 2006 xtype and I LOVE IT!
I'm having a bit of an issue......
I have a 2006 AWD XTYPE 3.0, My check engine light is coming on and off periodically and throwing a code for a mass airflow sensor. I've replaced it and still having the same issue.The performance doesn't seem to be affected and I only run 93 octane in her. please help me! The check engine light is DRIVING ME INSANE!!!! I have hit a bit of a rough patch financially and can't really afford to take it to the dealer at this time but I don't want to let this go and do any damage to "My Baby"

Old 10-05-2013, 04:09 AM

Oh, not sure if this helps or not but she only has 67,500 miles on her and has had all her service work done at the local dealer. She seems to be well maintained and I'd like to keep her that way!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi Steve

There is an X-type forum, so you might be better posting in there. You've not had a Jaguar for long, so be aware that it is much cheaper to read the fault codes first, (even at a main dealer), then pay for any new parts that are causing the problem. Just buying expensive parts without knowledge of the defect source can be frustrating, when it doesn't cure the problem. I have seen guys spend hundreds of pound/dollars and still have the problem when a few minutes work with a lap-top plugged into the car reveals something completely different and in most cases, something not expensive to fix

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 10-05-2013 at 04:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Xtype steve (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 AM

thank you, I am still learning my way around this site. I will look for the Xtype forum and post my question there. I have a code tool at my disposal and that is what it is saying (Mass airflow sensor) I don't plan on replacing part after part but I've seen a few things on other sites about intake gaskets that may also be causing the problem. Thank you again for your answer!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Steve,

I've moved your thread from General Tech Help to X-Type forum and deleted the duplicate thread.

Good luck.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 10-05-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Xtype steve (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 05:12 AM

Thanks Graham, I am still learning to navigate this site.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Steve, if you look next to the battery box, you will find the MAF sensor. Remove the plug and look at the connections on the car side of the plug. Are they nice and silver in color, or are they kinda rust color, possibly even a really dark gray? if they are not silver, then I would get your hands on a small jeweler's screw driver or an Xacto knife and gently scrape the connectors to get them back to shiny. A little bit of isopropyl alcohol and a Q-Tip might be helpful too (especially if they are gray in color). Then see what problems you have then.

The other check I would say to do is to follow the cable bundle back under the throttle and see if there is any damage to the bundle. It may be possible that the calbe got squished at one point and it has stripped the insulation off of some wiring and it is making intermittent contact, grounding the signal out, making the computer think the sensor is bad.

Xtype steve (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 AM
Smile

Thanks Chris, I will look at that tomorrow....I wondered if it may be a short of some sort. When we hooked it up to a diagnostic machine it did read a MAF sensor, but also said there may be a possible short as the cause for the code it threw, also There were a couple of times out of the corner of my eye the screen on my navigation seemed to flicker and I actually had a couple of instances where my automatic windows didn't automatically go up. I thought it was weird but, never gave it much thought at the time because the instances were few and far between and I figured the car was too new to have any wiring issues. I really appreciate the time people are taking to not only help with my car, but this site, so thank you all. I love my sleek and sexy black cat lol. When my time came that I was in a position to buy a car of a better caliber My dream was to own a BENZ but when I drove the Jag i fell in love and was hoping I didn't make a mistake.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Steve, if the Nav screen is flickering, that is not related to the MAF Sensor. A lot of us have this issue and what it is is the dimmer switch on the headlight switch is starting to go. You have a long time before it will be a real problem. I have been watching the flickering for a few years now and it still isn't bad.

As for the automatic windows, sometimes if you push on the buttons at a funny angle, they won't do the auto bit. Not justifying things, just stating what I have experienced with my car. I bet you will find that it occurs more often with the passenger (right) side windows than it does on the driver's (left) side windows.

Xtype steve (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Talking

Thank you, Thermo and everyone else for all these useful tips. I took the wiring harness off of the mass airflow sensor and cleaned the terminals and also untwisted the wire bundle, relieving some of the tension off of the wires and making them straighter. I am happy to say, It's been 3-days of driving around looking at beautiful Pennsylvania foliage and windy back roads and so far the check engine light has gone off and hasn't came back on since. I'm thinking cleaning the terminals is what needed done. I wasn't able to see any nicks or worn casing at a quick glance, but I plan to examine them a little closer this weekend. I knew that the screen wouldn't have anything to do with my mass airflow sensor but I did think if there was something possibly grounding out (i.e. short) that it might cause a little flicker or interference. Anyway thank you all again and I am very thankful to have found this page. By the way, is the dimmer switch for the lights a common problem in xtypes? seems to be a lot of people on here talking about it.......

Last edited by Xtype steve; 10-08-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Veteran member

Steve, yes, it is one of the more common issues that are familiar to us. For the most part, if it isn't too bad, most people just live with it. I have my lights down really low, so, when it flickers I normally don't even notice it. I only see it once in a blue moon when I happen to be looking down at the speedo.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

When my MAF died, I also had a split vacuum intake hose. Either of both threw the CEL on with "CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE" on the display. The vacuum intake hose splitting is one of the most common issues with the car, as the early hose is very weak. If you don't already have the later ribbed hose there, might consider replacing it just in case.

Though since you're getting the MAF code this is likely not your issue.