X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted headlight harness info

Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default RE: Melted Socket & Lamp

I DISSAGREE AQUILL, ITS NOT A BAND AID, THE ISSUE IS WITH A LOOSE ORIGINAL CONNECTOR AT THE BULB THAT BEGINS TO ARC WHEN IT GETS A POOR CONNECTION THUS MELTING THE CONNECTOR. IVE NEVER REPAIRED MELTED REPAIRED CONNECOTR AGAIN. BUBLS ARE BULBS ON THE X AND THEY SUCK FOR LONGEVITY. JUST LIKE THE SYLVANIA SILVERSTARS I USED IN MY WIFES VDP, 3 COMPLETE SETS IN A LITTLE OVER A YEAR WHERE THE FACTORY BULBS LASTED YEARS. BUT I DO AGREE WITH YOUR STAEMENT ON HIDS, I SWITCHED HERS TO CUSTOM BUILT 05 XJ8 HID PROJECTOR HID'S AND LOVE EM, I HAVE ANOTHER SET TO DO NOW FOR THE HIGH BEAMS WITHOUT THE SHIELD. I DO NOT RECOMMEND HIDS IN HOUSINGS WITHOUT PROJECTORS AND BLOCKOFF SHIELD, YES THEY BRIGHT AS HELL, BUT TO OTHER DRIVERS TOO SINCE THEY DONT HAVE THE UPPER BEAM BLOCKED, WHICH IS ACTUALLY ON THE BOTTOM BEHIND THE PROJECTORS LENS

Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We've had multiple people go to the dealer and pay more than $50 for the dealer to put another original connector on their car. We've had multiple people go to the dealer and pay another $50 do have a second original connector on the same car that previously had a second connector replaced. IMO that seems like a band aid(I'm not a dealer basher I'm just saying that there is a better cure for the problem.)

I'm sure you've heard how many people want a fix for the bulbs blowing problem! LOL

The electrical is funky on these jags and I couldn't find a bulb that wouldn't blow in the cars headlights (main beams-all others are fine!) I've put in the cheapest of headlights in other cars and have never blown one except in my x-type. I think that it has to do with the tiny filament that come in the bulbs. The stock sylvania h1 bulbs have a much thicker filament than any other bulb including the sylvania silverstars (blew at least 3 pairs.)

Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 PM

YES BUT WEre they putting in original connectors or replacing with the purple new seperate 1's? and I wasnt reffering to buls continueing to burn out but connectors melting to the bulb terminals. (this better Aquill)

Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Melted headlight harness info

autozone sells splice in replacement sockets for a few dollars. I bought some there for my '96 and they've been great. I use the sylvania silverstar ultras in mine with bulb grease. never had a heat issue since.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: BRUTAL

YES BUT WEre they putting in original connectors or replacing with the purple new seperate 1's? and I wasnt reffering to buls continueing to burn out but connectors melting to the bulb terminals. (this better Aquill)
I knew you were referring to the connectors. Are you sure it's just the connectors being loose and arcing or is it something else as well? I'd have a hard time seeing how a person could take the stock lights in and the dealer replace the connector and a few months later replace the second connector. We've had a few different people have that same connector replaced more than once and come on here asking for help because they don't want to replace the connector (have the dealer replace) again after they already had them fix it once (whether or not these people are for real and aren't making the whole thing up, I don't know! The dealer would warrant it for a year-at least from my experience they would, wouldn't they?)

Yeah much better!

I was just using the bulbs as more of another way the electrical is funky on these cars! As you stated no other bulb quite works too well on these cars! LOL

Old 01-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

2 things, I've never seen an original style connector offered from jaguar to fix the headlamp socket with. If some techs are using original style connectors I would like to know where they are getting them. The only thing I can think of is from old harnesses.

I have been using the correct Jaguar 2 seperate terminal repair kit for more than 3 years and have never had a single car come back with connector problems. I also have never had an X-type in for connector problems that had the 2 piece style connectors installed at the factory. Burned out bulbs, yes, melted terminals, no.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello -

Thank you so much for posting the responses. I really appreciate it. The only thing is - I'm just confused what the best thing I should do. I read the aquill's initial response to mine but I'm not sure if it's something I can do on my own. The next post says to be careful about something or otherwise I will have to replace something bigger...

Do you think I should take the post to the auto repairshop near my place and see if they can fix it for me? How much do you think I should be charged for the lamp, the socket, and the labor? I'm in Queens in New York...

Thank you!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry I didn't respond sooner the website has been messed up to put it nicely.

What is your diy ability? Putting the hids in is not hard at all and we actually have faqs on doing the install that usually have an in-depth description and pics to go with it. It really isn't worth paying someone else to do it. If you need help there are many of us that can help you and if you find yourself in a jam we can get on the phone with you and finish the job.

The problem with the x-type housing/headlamp is that there are plastic pieces internally that break easily. Many people have these problems and you probably wouldn't want anything to do with fixing that problem. You'd be better off getting another lamp and putting it on (but you have to remove bumper to do this so it isn't too fun.)

All in all if you are very careful and don't push on things you'll be fine and shouldn't break anything that wasn't ready to break already. If none of this makes sense I'll try to help a little more...

Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
2 things, I've never seen an original style connector offered from jaguar to fix the headlamp socket with. If some techs are using original style connectors I would like to know where they are getting them. The only thing I can think of is from old harnesses.

I have been using the correct Jaguar 2 seperate terminal repair kit for more than 3 years and have never had a single car come back with connector problems. I also have never had an X-type in for connector problems that had the 2 piece style connectors installed at the factory. Burned out bulbs, yes, melted terminals, no.
I agree whole heartedly, I have about 6 old connectors I took out of broken assemblies before I figured out how to repair the broken assemblies, and no I never put the original connectors in, why would I when the 2 connectors fix works great and never had a comeback, and the stock single ones are known problem areas. But the thought was there at first

Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Thank you for the responses.

If it was just replacing the lamp, maybe I could give it a try but considering the socket is melted, it doesn't look like I can just take out the old lamp and replace with the new...

So it looks like I might have to resort to going to an auto repair shop...If I was to take it to the auto repair shop, can you help me be prepared?

* Does any generic socket work or do I need to get a special socket?
* Is there a specific type of bulb or any generic work?
* Do you have an auto repair shop you recommend in Queens, NY?
* Any idea what the cost should be?

Thank you!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Could you take a picture for us? Have you previously taken the bulb out before? Have you tried to remove the bulb yet?

Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Default Melted socket

Hello -

I managed to get most of the lamp out today and got a new H1 bulb. The trouble is, I can't find the socket for the lamp in any store...!!!

I found this socket on line - says it's ceramic. The idea sounds good since it won't melt considering it's ceramic and not plastic... but the auto repair shop said that I need to get a specific socket for my specific car type (jaguar x-type 2003). Is that the case? Can you please let me know?... Thank you!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/H1-Headlight-Bul...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

That connector would work great for the bulb. Then all you need to do is attach another female connector to the other wire and connect it to the male spade that is located right beside where the bulb goes into the housing. I've done it but can't for the life of me remember what my wire colors were (yellow and brown?). If you cut off the old connector, power wire goes up the middle and and ground is on the side. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY. Someone can step in anytime.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 PM

that will work to the bulb, the stock connector has a ground and power in 1 piece, your now going to put the power into 1 connector on the back of the bulb. then the ground wire will need a new connector also to go to a small tab the part of the metal housing next to the opening the bulb goes in, and itsnot but half the width of the spade teminal of the bulb. This is how you fix melted connectors, you cut them and the bulb off and replace the single connector with a double

Old 02-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

A new set of hids will delete the connector altogether and will last longer than the halogen bulb.

Next broken bulb you get swap out the halogens/ or next bad connector...

Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Get some hids and wire them up. They are much better!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Glad we could help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Melted headlight harness info