X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh insert Vs full grill?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mesh insert Vs full grill?

Guys, I'm thinking of changing the front grill to the mesh style. I see you can pick up a mesh "insert" for only $99 or the full grill with surround for closer to $300. If I'm handy with a Dremmel is there any advantage to paying the extra $200? I'd hate to spend $99 only to find out that the mesh insert is an inferior product and could never look as good as the $300 version.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mesh insert Vs full grill?

The full grill looks better. Better to spend $300 the first time than to spend $99, then turn around and spend $300 because the insert looks like crap.

JMHO...

Old 07-18-2007, 01:27 PM

Just to throw another wrench in things...

The local dealer has a full mesh grill in stock they are willing to part with for $208. That seems like a smokin' deal, but I'm concerned maybe it isn't made of stainless steel?.? Does anybody know if the stock wire mesh grills are inferior to the aftermarket ones?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  7.4 KB

I've saw soo many that have done this on both sides. Some with the full grill and some with the inserts.
If you're really pretty handy there's no reason why it shouldn't look just as good and save yourself enough todo the bottom too probably!
Have you checked Adamesh? He sells on Ebay!
Also, are you looking for the chrome grill or body coloured? And what mesh are you looking for, bright chrome or black mesh?

Jim

Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Personally, I prefer the black mesh with the body coloured grill.
See below for a few examples

Jim

Old 07-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Well, I picked up the grill from the dealer (chrome colored). I'm going to go ahead and install it...could be too much "bling" for my taste, but $208 for a full grill seems too good to pass up.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the full, its cleaner and looks better and then you could sell your old grill on ebay.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the only thing that should differ would be the material that the grille is made of, but i think they are all stainless steel. it is not hard to install just the 'insert' into your existing grille, and you had a dremmel already. basically all you would be doing is cutting out the vertical vanes in the grille to make it open. every system mounts the mesh the same way - it is sandwiched into the entire grille housing, which consists of 3 pieces (outer trim, plastic middle with the vanes, inner piece that mounts to the hood).

$208 isn't that bad for the entire setup with the mesh, but i would be willing to bet that that is an aftermarket insert that they installed, not the arden kit. last time i checked the upper arden insert, without installation, was around $450. along the same lines, for 2005+ all X's in the states seem to come with the upper meshgrille, so jaguar may have found a cheaper source to manufacture them under their own name, or no name at all. i have the arden upper and aftermarket lower and they both look the same from the outside, but the arden has a small outer steel rod that makes the grille stiff to the point of not being able to bend it at all. my aftermarket lower grille was very flexible. i look for reasons to work on the X (and the bike) and sometimes just make them up, so i wanted to have to cut and sand the grille and do the install myself.

finally...

as luck would have it, my uncle is on his way over here now so i can install his grille (upper for sure, possibly lower too). he bought an entire assembly from ebay, with the mesh inserts, for around $100. the outer portion is the silver color and his X is white with the chrome outer grille so i will have to take both of them apary to swap the insert. i will have him take pics as we go along so everyone can see how to do it.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Nineball, thanks for the good info. The one I picked up from the dealer has a Jaguar sticker on the box so someone is definitely manufacturing them cheaper at this point. As you said, all the current models seem to come with the mesh grill so the price is probably dropping as they become more common. Dealer prices are almost alwaysMUCH higher than whatyou find online...maybe the aftermarket manufacturers will lower their prices as well?.?

Now I just have to figure out how I am going to transplant the growler from my old grill to the new one...any suggestions there?

Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM

The growler is attached w/ one small screw. Pretty simple just make sure you have a small angled Phillips screwdriver.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Nineball.........If you're gonna post re retro fitting mesh grill and or inserts c/w pics, please let me or one of the other mods know and we can make it a FAQ. Would be a good addittion to the section.
Also would be better to let us know so that we can make it a FAQ immediately before it runs off course. That way members can then find the topic, properly named very quickly n easily.

Thanks and look forward to the post

Jim

Old 07-18-2007, 09:09 PM

already done. go faq it yourself!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 65

Lol..........done!

Jim

Old 07-18-2007, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Skyjump136

Nineball, thanks for the good info. The one I picked up from the dealer has a Jaguar sticker on the box so someone is definitely manufacturing them cheaper at this point. As you said, all the current models seem to come with the mesh grill so the price is probably dropping as they become more common. Dealer prices are almost alwaysMUCH higher than whatyou find online...maybe the aftermarket manufacturers will lower their prices as well?.?
ya, i kinda figured they had their own version as well as the Arden version. anything with Arden in the title will be more expensive since they are the Official aftermarket supplier, but their quality is also far above what you can get from another online retailer. while you are paying for the name, the quality does go up.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:00 PM

Well that was easy. It is now installed and the growler has found its new home on the mesh grill. Now I'm looking at the lower section thinking that definitely needs a grill too...

Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 60

Woohoo Skyjump........well done that man. I'm guessin a big thanks to Nineball!
You have soooo gotta do the lower as well............I've seen so few in the flesh so to speak, but when I do....WOW.........Gorgeous!

Jim

Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 PM

lower grille is a lot more work than the upper.

there are 2 mounting systems available currently, and the factory style is the worse of the 2. i hate to say it due to the problems they gave me, but the cheaper one available from jaguarxp is the better of the 2. it comes with a rubber surround and the better of the 2 styles of mounting. it uses "C" and "W" style mounting brackets behind the mesh and stainless screws to hold the grille in place. the factory style uses pressure clips around the edges of the mesh which don't look as good as the other style when finished. both systems require removal of the horizontal vane. you can take the entire front bumper off to remove it in one piece, but most people (myself included) just cut it into 3 pieces and remove it via the opening. the thought behind saving it is assuming you will uninstall it one day. mine is in, and will be there long after i no longer own the car.

the short version of installation is:

remove the rubber trim under the front end
tie the cable you will find out of the way
remove bolts holding in the vane
cut and remove vane
mount using whatever style you have
reattach wire
reattach rubber liner
sit back and smile

my uncle did not buy the lower grille yet, so i did not install that today. i have a spare one that will be going on my dad's X but not until i find a good deal on a mesh insert for his upper. once i get one i will do the same thing for the lower install.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 PM

while the upper makes the car look newer or more exotic, the combination of the 2 really makes the front end stand out (as if it even needed help to do that). if you look closely you can see the black rubber surround on the lower mesh.

Name:  bothgrilles.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  28.3 KB

Old 07-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Not a mesh fan but you've a badass one

Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: nineball

my uncle did not buy the lower grille yet, so i did not install that today. i have a spare one that will be going on my dad's X but not until i find a good deal on a mesh insert for his upper. once i get one i will do the same thing for the lower install.
Damn nineball! Seems like your whole family has X-types? Ah, only in a perfect world! Haha.

Quick Reply: Mesh insert Vs full grill?