X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfiring and no codes showing..any ideas ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfiring and no codes showing..any ideas ?

my 2002 2.1 x type is misfiring and lacks power when throttled. looked under the bonnet and running parallel to the throttle cable is another similar cable which goes through a circular plastic housing, this plastic housing has broken away and hangs loose, i have no idea what this cable does or if it has anything to do with the misfire.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello
Might bean idea to put some pictures up of the parts/area you are talking about?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 AM

I'm having the same problems. No codes, no leaks. Brought it to the workshop had the coils, MAF, spark plugs changed and the cat drove like a beast. But problems came back again about 3 weeks later. Now, the car jerks occasionally. Point to note, I realize that the car tends to jerk more when the car is cold/gas is low but a new fuel pump did nth... Any solutions, anyone?

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

I would try cleaning the throttle body and also the MAF sensor. Both of these products have a cleaner specifically geared towards them. DO NOT!!!!! use carb cleaner. You can potentially damage things. The specialty cleaners are cheap anyways. With the throttlebody, when you remove the inlet air tube, you will see a bunch of brown on the inside, that is all sorts of build up. Use a finger (or other suitable device) and open the butterfly valve (the silver disk blocking the air flow) and then spray until the brown goes away (ensure to spray the edge of the butterfly valve and remove the build up there too). Then reinstall the inlet tube.

Next remove the MAF sensor (near the air filter box, removed by loosening 2 screws). Use the cleaner to spray down the hole there. Do not spray straight down, but bounce the spray off the inside of the tube (you do not want to damage the fine platinum wires at the bottom of the tube). Fill up the tube, dump it out, fill it up ..... Do this about 3-4 times and end with the tube empty. Reinstall the MAF sensor.

Now, after this, you may find that the car is hard to start (you have essentially flooded the engine, hence why). Get into the car, depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor (this will force the computer to not admit any gas to the engine ironically) and then attempt to start the car. After a few cranks, it will fire up and then feather the gas pedal to keep the engine running. How long you need to crank is dependent upon how much of the throttle body cleaner you use. Then lets see what you have at that point.

iawgnix, I loved my time that I spent in Singapore. I am making plans to make it back there some day. I didn't get to see everything I wanted to. Not to mention that I want to pick up some more jade jewelry while I am there too. But then, it is nice having access to the Navy Base there too. So, if I make it that way, I will see if you are still around.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks Thermo, Ill give it a try and if you ever stop by, send me a msg.