X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfiring P1313

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 01:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Misfiring P1313

Ok guys, I have read a lot of the forums and it goes from an easy fix to a new car....lol

Drove to work yesterday -18c
Did some running around at lunch it now +2c
On drive back to office check engine light flashing, starting riding rough.

Drove home my 35 KM and was largely ok.
Found my i903 and read codes and cleared.
Hoped issue was just wet wires.

Just now took it to the store see how she was running and it started again, but running smoother but still having issues.
Brought It up 160k...running smooth, it all in the lower RPMS.

So I dug out my i930 again

P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P1313 Misfire Catalyst Damage Bank No: 1 (Which reads as a little scary to me!)
P1316 Misfire Rat above limits.

Thermo, am I truly harming the car by running it?

I will to be taking her into a garage, but like to direct them as where to start.
Are there more test can I run with my i930 that would be help to the garage or you guys?

Thanks
Vic

Old 01-25-2020, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 710 Likes on 635 Posts

Damage is ABSOLUTELY occurring when the MIL is flashing and can occur ABSURDLY QUICKLY (like a few blocks).

Old 01-26-2020, 06:19 AM

Thanks Dell.

I am going to buy new plugs and gap them before taking it in.
Going to search forums and manuals for what coil pack to order if necessary as well.

Vic

Old 01-26-2020, 07:30 AM

I have the hesitate turn and going up hill as well and valve cover gaskets are leaking at little as well.

Great helpful post here from Thermo, did not know how to quote it properly. Very applicable.

DJRhoades, in short, your P0305 code is causing a lot of other codes. This is where things can get a little bit confusing with modern day cars. Your problem lies with cylinder #5. This is located on the back side of the motor, on the right side. So, you are going to have to lift the top half of the intake off to get to the coil (there is lots of write ups here on how to do this, not hard, so don't worry, just takes a bit of time). From there, I would say to pull the coil and look at the top of it. Do you see what looks like a white hair in the clear top? If yes, replace the coil. If no white hair, then look at the rubber boot end for signs of oil. If you see oil, then you have a bad valve cover gasket and that will eventually need to be replaced (odds are, you can put some paper towels down the plug well now and be good for another few thousand miles. This will come back though. Probably a good idea to pull the plug and wipe the oil off of the plug and gently use a wire brush to clean the tip of the spark plug (this will remove any black carbon that is there that has built up).

If you don't find oil in the plug well, then I would say to remove the coil for cylinder #2 (near the radiator, left side) and swap it with the one from cylinder #5. At this point, reassemble the car. As you are finishing things up, you want to reset the codes (you have some old ones in there). This can be done by either taking your code reader and clearing the codes or simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal, waiting 5-10 seconds and then reconnecting the battery (will need to reprogram the windows, but this is easy). Take the car for a drive. If the check engine light comes back on, get the codes read. If you now have a P0302 code, then you have a bad coil (buy a new coil since you are at the auto parts place, they should have a coil, if they say that they don't, then ask them if they have the coil for an 05 Lincoln LS 3.0L, I bet they will, same part). If the problem continues with cylinder #5, let us know and we can take things from there.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:45 PM

So I got car back from the shop yesterday.
I had bought in all the parts myself, just had a trusted local mechanic do the work.

As It was predicted in the threads, needed new plugs and I changed that coil pack as well.
Valve gasket was leaking into Cylinder 1, so I changed Valve gasket, Manifold gaskets, pulled fuel injectors and cleaned all sensors.

Have only put 100km on it since getting it and traffic was heavy last night so I never got to open it up. Snowing today, so I will give it a good run this weekend.
All seems well. That plug was bad for sure and it so much work to change 1 plug might as well do all of this work as the same time.

For other people search for parts these are the ones I used

DIO 4713 Iridium spark plugs
OEM 50186 Direct Ignition coil (I got 2 just in case)
FEL VS50615R Valve Cover Set (Most expensive item)
FEL MS96485 FELPRO Gasket
FEL ES73020 PLENUM GASKET
FEL MS96494 Manifold set
FEL ES70599 Fuel injector O-Ring set (upper and lower)

So after the initial fix, we did the serpentine belt
DAY 5060970

A PVS valve and fuel filter is coming from RockAuto
...and is it was sitting from 10 days, the front left wheel bearing is getting loud, that will be delivered tomorrow.
I changed a lot of them in my 2003 X-type.

oh and I noticed one of the dame headlight jet washers covers is missing, so I ordered that as well from ebay.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:44 PM

Car running great with new plugs and 1 coil and gaskets.
Today replaced front drivers wheel bearing.

Riding much better, of course got PVC value and fuel filter for her in the mail after I got home today.

Hengst HG H110WK Fuel Filter
Standard Motor Products SI V516 PCV Valve

Old 02-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the process of changing the coil packs on my 04 x-type. completed the job including upper gaskets. but after bolting down the intake. im not sure why the hose connecting to the side of the TB - isnt reaching? any ideas? Thanks in advance.