X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

moneypit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 03:22 AM
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default moneypit?

I just bought a 2002 x-type a few weeks ago. original owner car with 131000 miles.2.5 auto. it test drove ok with only a couple apparent issues. check engine light and airbag light. got it home, codes are p1647, p0430, and p1111. I was led to expect this to just be an o2 sensor. car runs ok. the fun part begins when I took it in for inspection and the mechanic called to inform me that reverse doesn't work. just like that no warning. all forward gears fine. go to trans shop. they show me fresh fluid with metal flakes. quote 6000 for new trans, 3000 for used installed. I see that I could get used trannys for 700 dollar range. question? anyone have experience either changing one themselves or paying local garage. what to expect. as far as the codes and airbags, how deep could that go? car seems too nice to part out, and my daughter took a liking to it, so i'd like to fix it. help.
ps, I've had my 98 xk8 ragtop for 4 years now and still love it.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You need to find yourself aa new mechanic. The reason for the sudden loss of reverse is that they removed the wrong plug when they drained the transmission and they have released the mounting for the reverse band.
The following is a quote from the JATCO tech manual.
I quote verbatim from a technical bulletin regarding the JATCO JF506E transmission: 'A no reverse condition after fluid service: This could be caused by mistaking the reduction-band bolt for the fluid check plug. This mistake is easily made but the consequences are time-consuming and expensive. Once the reduction-band anchor is removed, the band will move out of place, which causes the transmission to seriously slip in forward gear and to lose reverse."..

The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
motorcarman (07-02-2017), speedwaymike (11-19-2020)
Old 07-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

if you bought it cash its not a money pit ,you don't owe the bank nothing. start fresh fix whats needed and enjoy

read this forum and you will have all the help you need

Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If reverse was working and you had your mechanic change the transmission fluid and that is when the issue happened, 99% sure they removed the wrong plug like avern said. If you bought the car and didn't try reverse and you didn't have the mechanic change the fluid then chances are the previous owner messed it up. You aren't really clear on how it happened. If it is the former, they botched the job and need to make it right. If it is the latter I don't know what recourse you have if you bought it from a private party.

Please let us know how this ends up.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 PM

to clarify, the car test drove fine. My regular mechanic had not even put the car on the lift. The fluid was checked at the transmission shop as part of the diagnoses. They were familiar with the wrong plug scenario and said it was different symtems. Maybe a broken reverse drum? can the plug In question be reached if I jack the car up in my driveway? I would like to check that out rather than take their word for it. I am still probably looking at removing the unit anyway. I saw a vid where the reverse drum was relocated with a wire if in fact that is whats wrong. Can that be done without removing unit from car?

Old 07-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

You can view the transmission from the underside and check the plugs and perform the wire trick for reverse brand. If the transmission shop checked the fluid it can only be done by (1) remove and drain pan or (2) remove the drain plug. More than likely they pulled the wrong plug for the fluid sample.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:57 PM

update; I just spent time cleaning oil leaks and examining underside of eng/trans. from under here I still can't see where the reverse retainer bolt is unless i'm looking right at it. There's a big bolt at very bottom of unit. that should be drain.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts
Old 07-04-2017, 06:48 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I am going with money pit on this one. You can pick up a running model for the repair costs you are looking at, maybe the labor cost alone.

Although the wire trick and some intake gaskets could fix you 100% for under $100, how's your lucky streak going?

Old 07-06-2017, 05:17 PM

thank you, dell for the pic. that helps, now I need to find the reverse bolt.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure you were looking at it in the picture. It is that big bolt head that looks like a drain plug, hence the common error, most people don't realize your drain is behind the linkage.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Having worked on jaguars for 20 years, owned over 10 including 1 xtype. I still own 3 and daily drive my 04vdp. My quote about the xtype is this.
"cheapest jagaur to buy, most expensive to own." to me theyre $1500 cars at best and a repair bill can easily be cause for a tow bill to scrap yard being the cheapest and best option. Spend more and buy up the model line

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
motorcarman (07-07-2017), TobyJag (02-26-2021)
Old 07-07-2017, 05:13 PM

thank you brutal, I tend to agree. I have, so far had good luck and enjoyed my xk8, maybe I'll look to an xj.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Default Fix or scrap

I have two questions. First, how much oil comes out when removing the reverse plug? I'm going to give that idea a go first. Second, has anyone replaced a tranny themselves? Do you have to remove the entire engine unit? Does it have to come out below. What I'm getting at is, can this job be done at home with a hoist? If it's doable, I can make a winter project of it and maybe learn something. If the car really has to be up in the air, it's going to the scrapyard. The minimum it would cost me to pay to replace or repair is well over what I paid for the car.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

i tend to disagree about the x-type
your car is not a money pit this is why

Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my opinion thus far from owning a 2004 Jaguar X-Type, 70,000 miles. I would call it the Ford/Chevy of Europe. I also own a 2006 Porsche Cayenne which has been a dream to own (runs immaculately, parts are solid, having had to change a starter and general maintenance, fluids mostly). The Jag is a very good looking car IMO, but mechanically it isn't great. I've had to replace almost all things rubber from deterioration. It has squeaks and creaks. It still floats on the road a bit, even after changing the shocks to sport, the front and back roll bar bushings, and rear upper and lower control arms (and still that darn squeak is in the rear!) The transfer case is a travesty due to how you have to change the fluid. The metal buildup on the transfer case and differential plugs were VERY alarming. I had to change the cooling fans because the AC fan was wobbling and the bearings were shot. I bought a new PCV hose that was collapsing when the engine ran so I put a spring inside of it.

But, as with most people on this forum I'm guessing, we like working on cars. There is no way in hell I would own this car if I couldn't do my own maintenance. I think this car has two major problems. #1 It wasn't built to be worked on, it was built to drive a while and then throw away. I have seen far to many things on this car that you cannot get to without believing that. #2 The parts that Jag/Ford used for this car are soooo cheap, but that's why the car was so cheap to begin with.

So, if you want to own a cool Jag for very little money, the X-type is for you. You just better know how to turn a wrench. I probably won't buy another one after owning this one. The quality I've gotten in a similar aged German car is incredible compared to the Jag, which is why I will probably never own an American car again either.

I'm just hoping that something major doesn't happen like tranny, transfer, or engine meltdown. If that happens it may be on the chopping block.

Sorry for the long rant. Just my opinion. And also thank you to everyone who contributes. I have gained excellent knowledge from this forum.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Default update

Hi all;
I only paid 2000 for this car. 2002 2.5 auto. 134,000miles. it was original owner, but that isn't always good. The car test drove fine, so I thought it was a good buy. My 98 xk has been great, so I was favorably disposed despite the warnings. A week after purchase, reverse broke. I could either take a beating, or invest in repair and hope to use the thing long enough to make it worthwhile. I chose repair. I took it to a well referenced trans shop. 4500 later, the reverse piston was replaced with the stronger replacement and the reverse solenoid. I had them replace transfer case fluid. Two of the subframe mounting bolts had to be cut to remove, and both knuckle pinchbolts replaced. Most of the job was labor for removal and reinstall of the eng/trans unit. They also replaced the one driveshaft. When I got it home, I replaced the front upper O2 sensor. At least something went well and inexpensively. No more check engine light. To echo what has been said elsewhere on the forum, it is clear the engineers designed the car with no thought for maintenance. Most of the effort to do anything on this car is just to get to stuff. It makes my xk look bulletproof. Now I get to drive this thing for a couple years praying nothing else major happens. Now for the minor items. The radio works but not the cd changer. The airbag light is on. The power /fan speed knob operates stiffly, I wonder how long that will take to break. Overall, the car is nice but not worth what I have in it. I would have better off with an xj

Old 08-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayson Massey
Here is my opinion thus far from owning a 2004 Jaguar X-Type, 70,000 miles. I would call it the Ford/Chevy of Europe. I also own a 2006 Porsche Cayenne which has been a dream to own (runs immaculately, parts are solid, having had to change a starter and general maintenance, fluids mostly). The Jag is a very good looking car IMO, but mechanically it isn't great. I've had to replace almost all things rubber from deterioration. It has squeaks and creaks. It still floats on the road a bit, even after changing the shocks to sport, the front and back roll bar bushings, and rear upper and lower control arms (and still that darn squeak is in the rear!) The transfer case is a travesty due to how you have to change the fluid. The metal buildup on the transfer case and differential plugs were VERY alarming. I had to change the cooling fans because the AC fan was wobbling and the bearings were shot. I bought a new PCV hose that was collapsing when the engine ran so I put a spring inside of it.

But, as with most people on this forum I'm guessing, we like working on cars. There is no way in hell I would own this car if I couldn't do my own maintenance. I think this car has two major problems. #1 It wasn't built to be worked on, it was built to drive a while and then throw away. I have seen far to many things on this car that you cannot get to without believing that. #2 The parts that Jag/Ford used for this car are soooo cheap, but that's why the car was so cheap to begin with.

So, if you want to own a cool Jag for very little money, the X-type is for you. You just better know how to turn a wrench. I probably won't buy another one after owning this one. The quality I've gotten in a similar aged German car is incredible compared to the Jag, which is why I will probably never own an American car again either.

I'm just hoping that something major doesn't happen like tranny, transfer, or engine meltdown. If that happens it may be on the chopping block.

Sorry for the long rant. Just my opinion. And also thank you to everyone who contributes. I have gained excellent knowledge from this forum.
All this is true. I am on my second X type, because I don't think there will be any more traditionally styled Jaguars any time soon, but you can't deny the multiple issues, specially when compared to similar German cars of the same time. The transmission and transfercase are one thing, and a very large thing that should have been adressed early on. The Jatco box, even when working properly is confused, is not smooth and has to be babied to last.

But then you got all the other issues like all the rubber suspension parts having to be replaced. I have a 74 E type CONV and a 95 XJS CONV that have not needed constant new suspension parts and don't squeak and clunk every 2 month demanding a new part, like both of my X types have.

In spite of all that, if my car was to be totaled again I would not hesitate to get a third. I love the car, the way it looks and the character it has.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:03 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Money pit

I see from various posts that at least 75% of expensive problems comes from the petrol engine and auto drive train.
Most X types in my area here in the Uk seem to be the later Ford diesel engine models. Yes we suffer the usual Jag problems but the Ford diesel manual gearbox system is "A" bullet proof and "B" fixable cheaply by any local workshop.
Having said that no IC engine vehicle has a rosy future here at all.

Last edited by DUNKS; 08-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:46 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Here my 2cents; The reverse ring does not suddenly came off by it self, and you bought the car and drove for few weeks before inspection, I'm sure you must put in reverse many times, and now your mechanic said reverse is not work, just ask him what has he done to it and tell him to fix it.You can file civil complain on this case.