X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first 2 weeks with my X-type

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first 2 weeks with my X-type

My first 2 weeks with my 2002 X-type 2.5 have been a blast. After I signed all the papers on Saturday and was waiting for delivery of my new(used) car, I had a panic attack. I went into the dealership looking at a Mazda 6 and or Audi A4 and both of those cars didn’t deliver when I test drove them. butt parked right next to the Mazda was this blue beauty whispering to me, “just one test drive, you don’t have to buy me, just one test drive”. Well after being disappointed by the other 3 cars I tested, I listened to the disembodied voice. Well after I drove it and kicked the tires I told the salesman lets go to your office. Now back to my panic attack….Well I realized I just spent more than I wanted plus my insurance was defiantly going to go up and I will have a lot higher repair costs cause it looks to complicated to fix myself, I freaked out. I never had a luxury car before, well I did have a 79’ Cadillac Eldorado that I bought in 1995, and my last two cars were a 95’ jeep wrangler and a 93’ Mazda mx-3 which I still have. (I love my Mazda). What did I do? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. What was I thinking??????????????
When I left the dealership Chicago had a really bad ice/snow storm that started when I was arguing the price of the X-type. As I drove the 9 miles home I have never felt as safe in any car ever driving in that horrible weather, AWD baby!!! Airbags everywhere!!! And the buyer’s remorse I had went away. One bad thing though is since I didn’t know who to work my new car my widows fogged up so bad I had to drive with all my windows cracked. (I later found out that when dealerships shampoo the carpet they don’t dry them and it evaporates which equals fogged windows).
I was afraid to take it out on the bad roads on Sunday for my first cruise so it sat in my driveway until around 10 am, I couldn’t take it any more and took it for a 30 mile drive. Absolutely amazing!!! But the widows kept fogging up again.
My first day at work was insane, all morning I had people at my desk saying “I heard you bought a Jaguar”, and only three people saw me drive into the parking lot. After lunch everyone and I mean everyone in the company, searched the lot for my car at their lunch break. I heard comments like, “you now have the best car in the lot”, “when did you get your raise?”, “you should get the good parking spot next to the owners and the presidents range rover”, and “wow your hotness level just jumped a lot!!!”. The last one came from a lady! I had one person actually get jealous and talk some smack behind my back about me kissing butt to get a raise. If he was smart he would realize that I paid half of what he paid for his 07’ chevy. I can understand everyone’s shock because I went from the Mazda to the greatest car ever built.
Things this past two weeks I need to get used to; Every girl checking me out now in my X-type, before I would only get a few in my old car, driving a bigger car with softer suspension, buying higher octane gas, being pampered by the softest leather seats I ever sat in, having to drive everyone for lunch at work, actually being worried when I valet at the clubs, washing my car every week, BEING ANGRY AT MYSELF FOR NOT COUGHING UP THE CASH TO GET THE 3.0.
So far the fogging thing has almost gone away, but only a week into driving me passenger headlight went out!!!!!!!!! And boy does it look like a headache to get to the bulb. I will look at it again I really don’t want to take it to a jaguar dealer for a headlight.
The things I plan on adding to the X by the end of the fall;

Change to sport rotors and sport ceramic brakes.
lower the ride height and stiffen the suspension (right now with Chicago’s streets being beat up and horrible the soft suspension is a blessing)
17 or 18” rims with new tires Pirelli’s or the Kohmo’s that most people on here have
tint the back an rear windows
change out the CD changer to a 10 disk CD/MP3 changer
maybe change the exhaust
hopefullyi will find a good way to add remote starter.
[ol][/ol]
Sorry for the long long long pointless story, the bad spelling and grammar. I just thought only other X owners would understand my last few weeks. (I did really try to keep it short)

I forgot to add my stats for the weeks
my average mph is only 11mph
and my mpg is at 15.1
city driving gotta love it

Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Default RE: My first 2 weeks with my X-type

Wow, I feel like I just relived my first week!!! Thats a great story, I understand everything. Ive had my 3.0 for 7 months and Im still learning to use everything properly. My first luxury as well. Plus I went from a 96 Toyota Corolla, to a 2002 3.0 X-type Jag. Now thats a leap...

Old 03-11-2007, 11:08 PM

I forgot to add my stats for the weeks
my average mph is only 11mph
and my mpg is at 15.1
city driving gotta love it

Old 03-11-2007, 11:52 PM

Good to hear your experiences. Many of us here I'm sure experienced similar feelings and thoughts.
About the 2.5 versus 3.0, don't feel too bad, Car magazine of UK (the most widely distributed and respected
automobile magazine in the world) actually calls the 2.5 the "pick of the range" because in their opinion
even though the 3.0 -obviously- has better performance, the 2.5 is at the right spot for performance/cost/mpg. Of course, they like the diesel even more, but we don't have that option here, so I'd say there's nothing to feel bad about the 2.5, either. The next one you get might be 3.0, perhaps. One important thing in having "useable" power though: is yours auto or manual transmission?

Your leap is similar to mine and andersen's, my previous car was a 1994 Saab 9000 CS. Great, great car, but no Jag.

Enjoy the car.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  4.7 KB

Houegroove.........I can relate to everything you've said.......I think pretty much most of us can!
Good story, well told.

Jim C

Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep i agree. Know the feelin. I went from a 98 toyota corolla to the jag. a dream come true.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:30 AM

Hey!! I'm right there with you. I got myX last Saturday and I love it!! When I go to work, I'm always saying that I can't wait to get home to play with my car. This is also my first 'luxury' car and it cracks me up to hear the "you got money" comments too.

Good luck with your car!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah, a breath of new blood....the high, the awesome feeling of being in a great car that none of the previous you every owned can ever match...reading that story brought back great memories of me on my first day home with the jag.....lol

thanks...thanks for making me remember and thanks for taking that crazy notion out of my mind for even thinking of trading my jag in for that beemer I was looking at this past weekend...lol

Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Not an X thing, it's a Jag thing. Same reaction at work, in the hood, at school, at church, and on my 240sx forum. A lot of haters, A LOT OF HATERS!!!! LOL at the ones who say "Damn, you got bread like that now!". If they only knew that my Jag costs much less than their Scions and such. Pimp factor went up 1000% from my 93 240sx. The Jag replaced my wifes 96 Tercel and she tells me she gets a bunch of Haters at her job as well. I still love my Nissan, as it's much faster than the Jag, but when you hop into the Jag, you do feel much safer and pimp as the luxury overwhelms you, specially if it's your first luxury car!

Old 03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Housegroove77, youve summednearly everything I felt (and still feel) about the X type andI've had mine nearly 2 years with no plans on selling.The sense of safety especially when drivingon water logged roads with the AWD even at high speeds is worth its weight.
PS..Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your MPH should be in the 20s.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

low 20's that is, i get about 21mpg with normal freeway/motorway driving (90% freeway/motorway, 10% city)

Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds about right 04XTYPE....i get a bit less (heavy foot) lol

Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 AM

Nobodies smarted off in this thread yet...thats surprising!! Its such a touching subject,[sm=headbang.gif] I cant take it...

Old 03-13-2007, 09:07 AM

the XJR is a great car, no doubt about it.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:47 AM

Everyone thanks for the postive comments, its good to knowIwas not the only one.
macchiavelli: I have a auto transmision they didnt have a manual on the lot, given that it would be a pain for me because i stay in 2nd gear mostly.
racerx82: A beemer? really? why? a friend of mine has a 00' or an 01' M3, when he finaly let me drive it I was spoiled and will never buy a bwm unless its a M3.
mr_lanceo: I am still waiting for my financing to go through, i still havent heard anything yet... I hope thats a good sign?
michaelnv: Is it really supposed to be higher? if so i will go get it checked out. My Mazda MX-3 is only getting 18mpg's and its smaller and lighter but needed a tune up (i am going to do it this spring).
04XTYPE: I only touch a freeway once on the weekends all city driving for me!!!
Smidgy: congrats on the bling bling car, i know what ya mean i go home and sit in my driveway for a half hour after work just playing with my X
bigdreams05: There are alot of Haters everywhere i was already hated on at work for pulling the receptionist before she quit now their hating for the car. as a great man said "Cant we all just get along?"
BuckMR2: thanks buck, i feel safe in my AWD than in my Jeep wrangler 4x4

Old 03-13-2007, 12:05 PM

andersen06: "Nobodies smarted off in this thread yet...thats surprising!! Its such a touching subject,[sm=headbang.gif] I cant take it... " Good things come to those who wait....if you bulid it they will come....you had me at hello!
JimC4: Thats why its good to have forums, for people to complain relate and share.

by the way anyone know what to do with the original "Jaguar" cell phone it came with. I keep it conneted in my car as a conversation peace.

As for pimpage with my new X-type, it will be put to the test this weekend. I am going on a second date friday, first with the jaguar, and we will see if a can "break in" my car. (wow i have no class, sorry). And this saturday is guys night out at the clubs after the St. pat's day bars!!! (I volunteered to by the designated drive this saturday, just to show off my2002 X)

Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Designated Driver? Are you crazy man? How you gonna throw a bunch of smelly, drunk people in the X? They might throw up in the Jag and leave it smelling like barf for weeks! You can be a DD, but use someone elses car and gas!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:58 PM

I agree.. Nasty drunk people in the X??!! Hell no. Use someone else's car or get drunk up yourself and take a cab. You don't want yourbaby to get funk-dified.

Quick Reply: My first 2 weeks with my X-type