Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav Disc Not Loading

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Disc Not Loading

Hi,
Just got myself the 08/09 Navteq dvd disc for South Africa (only version available) at quite a hefty price. When I pop it into the DVD drive It shows "Loading ...., be patient" and this takes forever. Occasionally the Jag logo pops up then a warning message to the effect that most of the features work when the car is not moving and an OK button to accept. Then it goes back to loading. Once I saw a quick message about communication fault and it goes back to the loading message.

I've popped out the disc, re-inserted and tried and it's always the same. The Nav system is the Denso type on an 04 X-Type. The radio, climate and other functions work.

Anyone seen this kind of problem and how did you resolve it?

Thank you.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Try

1) blowing the unit out with some "canned air" made for electronic devices;
2) using a long cotton swab with a bit of alcohol or window cleaner, see if you can reach it into the unit and "scrub" the little lens, or;
3) purchase a "CD / DVD Cleaning Disc" and insert that into the unit for a while.

Also, very closely inspect your DVD for dust, dirt, scratches or plain old fingerprints. A little soap and water could fix the problem. Be sure to only wipe the disc from the center out, not in a circular motion. If it deeply scratched, any good computer shop should be able to polish any damage off the disc.

If none of those solutions work for you, try burning a copy of the disc with your computer, using the slowest copy speed available to you. If the original disc has a major flaw, it won't copy successfully. If it has only a minor flaw, "slow burning" a copy can sometimes overcome the problem.

(If you use an external USB DVD burner with your computer, make sure you also use the power supply that should have come with it. Using only the USB bus for power doesn't always supply the laser with enough juice to burn a "solid" copy that will work with a problematic DVD reader)

All of that having been suggested, maybe first try reaching up behind the dash and wiggling the plug that attaches the unit (or whacking the top of the dash while it's trying to read the disc!).

Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
Try

1) blowing the unit out with some "canned air" made for electronic devices;
2) using a long cotton swab with a bit of alcohol or window cleaner, see if you can reach it into the unit and "scrub" the little lens, or;
3) purchase a "CD / DVD Cleaning Disc" and insert that into the unit for a while.

Also, very closely inspect your DVD for dust, dirt, scratches or plain old fingerprints. A little soap and water could fix the problem. Be sure to only wipe the disc from the center out, not in a circular motion. If it deeply scratched, any good computer shop should be able to polish any damage off the disc.

If none of those solutions work for you, try burning a copy of the disc with your computer, using the slowest copy speed available to you. If the original disc has a major flaw, it won't copy successfully. If it has only a minor flaw, "slow burning" a copy can sometimes overcome the problem.

(If you use an external USB DVD burner with your computer, make sure you also use the power supply that should have come with it. Using only the USB bus for power doesn't always supply the laser with enough juice to burn a "solid" copy that will work with a problematic DVD reader)

All of that having been suggested, maybe first try reaching up behind the dash and wiggling the plug that attaches the unit (or whacking the top of the dash while it's trying to read the disc!).
Thanks Bruce. Will try this out using the CD/DVD cleaner. BTW the DVD is new from Navteq. I've made two copies but both are not recognised by the nav system though I can read the discs on the computer.

Also this is the unit in the boot so I'm not sure where to reach the connector.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

If cleaning the read lens and checking the cable connector to the unit still doesn't make it work for you, I'd give one more try burning another copy of the disc. Really, use the slowest speed you can burn with (like 1x, 2x, 4x or the like) and a high quality blank DVD.

Instead of using a DVD blank from that spindle of 100 you bought at such a good price online, buy a single "Name Brand" DVD in a case from the local computer store and copy the factory disc onto it as slow as possible - or even have someone at the computer store do it for you on a known, "hot" burner.

Think "Star Wars" kind of laser.

Sometimes problems with a quirky DVD reader can be dealt with in such a fashion.

Questions: Do you have an old disc for the system that does work? Is there a Jaguar dealership anywhere near you that you might visit and "try" another disc?

Best of luck!

Old 10-23-2021, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi . i know it is an old thread, but wondering about South Afirca Nav DVD for jaguar XJ X350. does any one have one? or know where i can get one?
(i am living in Mozambique but go to RSA quite oftern and working NAV would help. my can came with Japan's dvd in the system. ;-)) )

Old 10-23-2021, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...v-disks-82890/

Asking in the appropriate forum may help. This is x type (x400) forum.

The following users liked this post:
valmoz (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...v-disks-82890/

Asking in the appropriate forum may help. This is x type (x400) forum.
You are definitely right. I am fairly new to the forum (although registered about 2 year ago, havent explored it yet).
thanks for pointing in the right direction.