X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on gasket problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on gasket problem

My 2004 xtype 3.0 is losing coolant extremely fast and could this mean a dreaded cracked block or head could this still mean that my gasket is blown this is a timely matter that I need to address as soon as possible as I am in the car dealing buisness and I want to sell this car it is in beautiful shape except this problem and with this problem I will take a loss on the car if I can only sell it the way it is im a DIY mechanic but something as major as this I would need to enlist help to change the engine as I don't have the right equipment but a gasket fix as long as my head isn't warped I could do if anyone has any insight on my problem such as how to differentiate between a cracked block or head and a blown gasket it would be extremely helpful

Old 12-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

My first question would be have you overheated the engine recently?
Second have you done a pressure test of the cooling system after it has sat over night? If you haven't that would be my first step in figuring out where the coolant is going.
The cooling system is a low volume/high velocity type and it doesn't take much of a leak to lose the coolant quickly.A big failing point in the system is the TEE in the upper hose assembly. The plastic cracks from all of the hot/cold thermal cycling.
If you can't fin any leaks then remove the spark plugs and look for ones that appear to be steamed cleaned. That will be the head that is leaking. If you have cracked the block I would think you would find a nice water/oil emulsion in the crankcase.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (12-25-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 03:41 PM

What exactly do you mean by steam cleaned? Can you give me a description or a picture and yes the car overheated the temp sensor was bad and when girls have problems with cars they think any guy can fix it for them and you know how guys like to show off so the car ended up with more damage than it would have if they would have just called me as far as finding where the coolant is going it's going right into the oil if the blue devil doesn't work I plan on pulling the valve cover and taking a look to see if I see any visual cracks would this be an appropriate action if the blur devil fails? Also I don't know if I mentioned this in the original post but I'm misfiring on 3 or 4 cylinders so im definitely going to check the plugs before I do anything I have a list of error codes from when I ran my code reader on it and half of them were misfires and mixture to lean

Old 12-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Dumping stop leak additives in will most likely cause additional problems, like a plugged radiator, heater core, etc. Fix the problem and quit looking to put a band-aid on it. Typical car salesman mentality.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Sounds like the minimum problem you have is a head gasket. You still need to find out what caused it to blow in the first place. If that much coolant is going into the oil who knows how much further damage might have been caused. Maybe you will get lucky, but it wouldn't surprise me if you will end up replacing the engine. That will probably be the simplest and most cost effective solution in the end. I wish you luck.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I am sorry to hear that you ended up with the chocolate milk crankcase. Since the oil is emulsified the engine has been operating with water in the lubrication system.
The least expensive solution is to find a good used engine from a wrecked X-Type. At the minimum you have damaged the main and rod bearings and possibly the camshaft bearings. The cost of parts without any labor is far more than the value of the car.
Look around for a damaged x-type you can buy for parts. Make sure not to get rid of the old engine until you are sure that you don't need anything off of it.
Also do a search for DrDome a forum member who parts out wrecked x_types. I am sure he has an engine.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but the cats don't like overheating.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:56 PM

I actually know where one is at the local u'll a part but the problem there is that you can't turn the cars on so idk if the engine is even any good

Old 12-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It's happen to my car; It was before I found this forum, when it's lost coolant I just dump any coolant in to filled it up, to the point I even put "Stop Leak" in and the car got over heated, drain oil out full of milk chocolate. Wish I found this forum earlier!