X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Correct Codes for 04 X Type! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Correct Codes for 04 X Type! Help!

Ok, the car is at the dealership getting diagnosed. My ex had read off the code for the throttle pedal sensor and then replaced it. The car went into limp mode again a few days later so off to the dealership it went to see what was going on.

The service manager is telling me that around 04/05 Jaguar changed the meanings of the codes and the problem might not have been the throttle pedal sensor. The problem is probably something else. Great. I asked him where I can get a print out of the correct codes and he has no idea.

Help! lol Where can I find the correct/current meanings for those 04 X Type trouble codes?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Jo, send me the codes you have. I have the dealership manual for your car. I just need to know when it was built (there is a sticker in the driver's door and on that it will state when the car was built). Send me the build date and the code(s) you are getting and I will tell you more info than you want to know.

Just for your info, around March of 2004, Jaguar made some upgrades to the X-Type. So, you have a model year 2004 vehicle and then you also have a model year 2004.25 vehicle. But, in most cases, they are all referred to as model year 2004 cars. Either way, I can help you out.

What you think of the dealership there on VA Beach BLVD? I wasn't too happy with them. I walked in wearing jeans and a T-shirt and I was kinda looked past. I only got help when I approached someone that looked like they could help me. Not much of a "can I help you?" place. Hence why I only went there once in the 2 years I owned the car and lived in Norfolk.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Okie doke. Thanks. I'll look inside the door and let you know after I get her back.

I'm not really thrilled with the receptionist on the phone; she's always in a hurry and sends you to voicemail too often but the actual parts and service people have been very nice, helpful, and informative. So far, so good. This is the first time I've taken her there for service so I'll have a better feel for their customer service tomorrow.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Here is the OBDII DTC guide for alot of MYs to 2005

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Ummmmm

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Here is the OBDII DTC guide for alot of MYs to 2005

bob gauff

that file won't open/download for me (and i would like to have it!)
i tried a few times, left it for a few hours, and tried again, still no dice.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:13 PM

I saved it to my computer and then opened it.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Thermo, the sticker says manufacture date was November of 03. And the service invoice from the dealership says they got a P0121 code which is the same code it had before.

Last edited by baycliffpwds; 09-18-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

Jo, for information, you have an early release 04 X-Type. So, you don't have the upgrades that were later incorporated into the vehicles. So, you may find that when going after parts, you will need to specify that you have an 03 car vice an 04 car to get the right part since some of the parts are different and will lead to a lot of confusion when trying to get the part to go in.

As for your code, whoever was thinking that the gas pedal was the problem, was mistaken about the error code you were getting. The P0121 code is for the throttlebody, not the gas pedal. So, the fact of it going away when you replaced the gas pedal sensor was just a fluke. Granted, the throttle position sensor and the throttle pedal sensor are easy to get confused with. I have to think before I start talking about them.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jo, for information, you have an early release 04 X-Type. So, you don't have the upgrades that were later incorporated into the vehicles. So, you may find that when going after parts, you will need to specify that you have an 03 car vice an 04 car to get the right part since some of the parts are different and will lead to a lot of confusion when trying to get the part to go in.
Well, that's confusing. lol But that's good to know. Thank you. You're a life saver.

After David read the code, I looked it up and found it listed on Jaguar online club's website. It said: P0121 Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Range/Performance Problem. I went right back outside and told him it was the throttle pedal sensor. Oh crap. I bought the wrong part. Oh well; I'll just consider that "preventative maintenance" and a lesson learned.

I kept telling the guy at Nally Jag today that I needed a piggyback and he was totally confused. Ok, it's a pigTAIL! What kind of technical term is that anyway?! When the service manager first told me the "map" sensor was shredded, my first thought was WTH, there's no navigation system in that car! Glad I didn't actually say it.

By the time I get these terms straight, I'll be too damned old to drive!

Last edited by baycliffpwds; 09-18-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

Jo, just sit back and enjoy going senial with the rest of us. Just when you think you know the names of things, they are going to change them again.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, also be looking at Ford products too. At the time that your car was built, Ford owned Jaguar and they used a lot of the same parts. So, you can possibly find the plug that way. I know the wrecking yard down near the NAS has lots of Fords sitting there (walked through there, saw all the cars). But, this is going to require a some work on your part (pay with with a little bit of your time or pay me with money, your call). Just a side note on this. A lot of the plugs are "keyed". What I mean by this is that they have little ridges around the plug that only allows certain plugs to connect up. This is done so the guys at the factory don't plug the wrong things together. So, simply finding a plug that has the same shape and number of pins may not work. Hence why you need to take a sample with you to make sure it will work. But, most MAF sensors all use the same key setup.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 AM

lol Thanks. I have now officially become my mother.