X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!

Hello all! I just bought a 2002 X-Type 3.0 with 72k miles! Overall its a nice a car but I have issues already with it. While I was driving it home the transmission kicked and got a message saying gearbox fault and its on limp mode now. Here are the codes p0333, p1647, p1000 and p0735 but that code went away after I did a reset. I been doing a lot of reading in here and has helped me a lot. Im just not sure what to do now, fix it but Im kind of worry that would lead to more problems or just sell it. I already checked the tcm and thats all good, also my cruise control works fine.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:54 PM

I also put Regular gas by mistake but only 3 gals. Maybe that made my knock sensor go bad?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

marval, first off, I would try filling the tank up with premium fuel and seeing what you have at that point. Also, take a look at the battery and the battery cables. You are getting faults on the O2 sensor, knock sensor, and the tranny. Normally when you start seeing stuff like this, this is due to a wiring issue. Our cars are known for having battery cable issues. So, spending an hour and $40 for 2 new battery cables may be a cheap repair for you. After that, I would need to dive into the diagrams and see if I could find any other commonality between all the parts. But, I am thinking the only one is the low voltage going to the ECM which is causing the problems you are seeing.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:33 PM

Thanks Thermo! I will fill up tomorrow and see what happens. The more research I do on this forum the more I get worried about the problem. Then I came across the service bulletin about the j-gate, whats that about?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 AM

I filled up the car with gas and drove it till I got the gearbox fault message to see what other codes I would get. I got p1000, p0735, p1647 (I think the 02 sensor needs replacing) and the knock sensor code went away this time. The car drives normal till it hits 5 gear and gets into limp model, please dont tell me that I need a new transmission.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Thermo will probably be more of a help to you with electrical problems seeing as he has substantial knowledge in that subject area, but I think I may be able to help you with the transmission. After reading a bunch about these cars on this forum, I have noticed that common trend between the car acting crazy and the level of the automatic transmission fluid. Before you start worrying, I would do a quick flush of the transmission fluid as it has a notorious nature of getting dirty and causing problems. The flush might cost you $80, but it is worth it because you will have to do it sometime down the road.

The other codes don't seem too worrisome just as long as the electrical system is allright. If I were you, I would replace the o2 sensor first and see if that takes care of that code. If it does, then you just have a few mechanical things to take care of which are all documented on this forum. If not, then talk to thermo about your electrical system

Last edited by disguay; 11-21-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM

Thanks disguay! Should I take it to a shop and get it done? I know how to the change oil, brakes and etc but I never done a transmission flush before. People who did the transmission flush because they got a message saying transmission failure or something like that on their scrreen, so that did not cross my mind to do a flush. I have owned Hondas and my current Lexus and they have been easy to fix over this jag.

Thanks again!!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Marval, just do a quick search around these forums. Click the advanced search button under the search button and look around for the automatic transmission flush. I really can't be any help when it comes to specifics about the auto tranny because I own a manual, but I have heard real horror stories fixed with a common fluid flush. Just get familiar with the process, go under the hood and see if you feel comfortable with the job at hand. If not, take it to a shop, but if you've done brake jobs then I'm sure you will understand how to flush the tranny fluid.

As for how easy this car is to fix, I at first had the same thought as you which is that this car is going to be a nightmare. After spending a bit of time patrolling these forums and underneath the car, I have found that this car is pretty predictable. There might be one tricky step in every procedure on the car that you won't find on any other car, but that's just part of the fun of owning a jag

Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

WRT transmission flushing, to cut to the chase, ATF is located in the transmission, the torque-converter, and the cooler. Draining the tranny doesn't touch the fluid in the other two places. Only drain, fill, run, drain, fill run, etc. will eventually result in all the fluid being replaced.

Just make sure that any shop you take it to doesn't simply drain/fill and tell you it's done.

Plus the approved fluid is pretty expensive, so the repeated drain and fill will run up the bill...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks guys for all of your help! I have not had time to flush the transmission on the jag and its just been sitting in the garage. I decided to take the jag for a spin and now it drives normal but till how long would it be like this, who knows. After thinking about on what I should do with the jag and I decided that Im going to sell it and stay with my GS300. Hopefully, some one would buy it for $6k. Once again thanks for all of your help!!