Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help fast please.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help fast please.....

Hello all,
I have an issue with a 2003 x type jaguar with the 2.5. When the car is started in the morning or when it has time to get cold it is missing really bad kinda like there are bad plugs in the car but it only last for about 3 to 5 minute and then the car smoothes out and runs as smooth as a new one. Codes according to autozone stated misfiring in all 6 cylinders. Any help would be great I am not working for the first time in over 25 years and cant afford to pay for parts I dont need and really cant afford to take it in to a garage. I have only had the car for about a week and have never had a jaguar before. I did replace the front side spark plugs to see if it would change the codes but it didnt. It really doesnt make sense to me that the car is so smooth after it warms up a little and runs so bad when I first start it. I have read thru the site but didnt really find anything that seemed like what I am seeing. Like I said it really runs great after it has run for a very short period of time. I really need some help here any idea to correct this would be so helpful. Iam going out tot work on it now to see if I can find and vacuum leaks I have read that is a issue with the jags.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

On the side of the intake tube just before the Throttlebody is a thing called a MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) (It is real close to the battery neg. post)..At Autozone or Pepboys, they sell a spray can of cleaner for this..Two screws and a electrical connector..remove the electrical connector and then unscrew the two screws holding it on and then Spray wash the peewaddin out of it and let it dry and reinstall..Just try this..it may not be the problem or fix, but will at least eliminate it as the problem with a dirty one ..they will cause the engine to run rough as a cob if dirty.

Last edited by Colt; 02-16-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 PM

I had a similar problem with my wifes 2002 X-Type. We took it to the dealer who hooked it up to the computer, the car told the computer that several misfires had occured. The dealer told us to flush the fuel injectors for a cost of $140. That corrected the issue.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 PM

GSD,
Did you jag run good after it was warm? or about 2 minutes of running?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:36 PM

Yeah as soon as it warmed up it had no issues ran perfectly.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, I have a similar problem too. It idles rough and sounds weird when i first start it. I hear a weird tapping noise, but all of this goes away once the car is warmed up.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 AM

I dont have a tapping sound just sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders. One very important issue I think I left out is this car has 177,000 miles under her belt. Thats what it says and shows but I have a really hard time with that I am very picky about my car and this car does not have a mark or wear place on it. I was looking at 3 jags and the one I picked had doulbe the miles of the other 2. If it does have those miles the person before me was very easy on it and must have had seat covers and kept in in the garage when it wasnt on the road. My x eldorado was the same way it had low miles but it was a 1999 and you could put it next to a 2010 and it look just as good. I just hope the 2.5 was made to hold up for a few miles.
Thanks for all the help

Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Anybody else have any thoughts? This is bugging the hell out of me I cant figure it out and as I stated before I cant stand a car that doesnt run the way it should. I have also noticed the gas milage is about 12 MPG to 14 MPG and I would think from what I have read it should be a little better than that. If it only does it when its cols it makes me think it cant run rich as it should when it is cold and when it warms up it does fine. any thoughts?
Any help would be great I need it I dont know where else to to look or what ot look at. I have searched this site over and over and cant find anything that seems to be what I have I have found many misfiring reasons but they are all at a RPM range , take offs ets but nothing when its cold. this car runs great when warm or after it has been started for the first time for the day even when it is cold it only seems to do it first thing in the morning.
So to make it short bad gas milage, poor start performence when started for the first time in the morning other than that it runs like a new one. Anybody have any thoughts?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

My usual answer to virtually any problem on these when they misfire...probably not this but it costs nothing to check and nothing to fix
Remove the top plastic engine cover
On the right alongside the air intake pipe that runs from the air filter to the throttle body you will see a pipe like this
Name:  da68de35-1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  56.7 KB
These commonly split and cause misfiring/poor mpg cut out at 3000rpm
If its damaged you can tape it up until you get a new one.
My dealer sells loads and they are only around GB£5 ($8??)
Good luck if it aint that

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 PM

I have tried all the everything that has been put out here and still no luck. I ransome injection cleaner thru it that I know works great at a cost of $27.00 but did nothing. It just dont make sense how after running for about 2 minutes it runs like a new one. Now when you first start it the engine light starts blinking for about a minute then hols solid. It reminds me of a old car I had with a hand choke if you didnt know where to pull the choke to itran just like my jag does except it clears up in just a few minutes and it does not matter what the temp outside is. It goes straight from misfirin to running like new almost like somebody pushed a button. On the intake there are 2 black somethings dont know at this point what they are but one is adjustable does this have anything to do with the choke or lean/rich mixture? What happens the first 2 minutes that would change to mak the car run great. The odd thing isit only des it after sitting over night. I started it the other morning and ran it maybe 5 minutes looking for problems while it was running rough found nothng went back out and started it almost 9 hours later and it started and ran great. Anybody have any thoughts? It just doesnt make any sense to me.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it could be something fuel related. Possibly a bad injector that misses while cold and as it warms up the injector flows better, thus eliminating the miss??

What kind of gas are you running in it?

Some said the gaskets/O-rings.. I think that would be an ongoing issue when the car is running.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:10 AM

I am running shell 93 in it. My last car had a northstar motor and it wouldnt run on anything but shell 93. This is driving me crazy.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Wel my probem is starting to get worse. It is taking longer to get the car warmed up to run. Yesterday after it smothed out like it normaly does I left the house and it was missing anytime I tried to hit down on the gas pedal I had to baby it for about 3 to 5 miles then all was great again. AsI stated before it only WAS doing this when I first started the car in the morning now it is every time the car is cold and it is not as easy to get warmed up to run right. Anybody have any thoughts? I could sure use them.Also the check engine light is blinking when I first start the car but stays on steady after it is warm.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 AM

I still say something fuel related.. Bad injector or your pump is not working correctly. Now that you have a CEL go to autozone or pepboys and have them scan it for you. It should be a free scan and they will tell you codes.

You dont want to keep driving it around this way either.. It will continue to get worse and damage more parts/engine.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:34 PM

Your right is it getting worse took it out today and after it was warm i pushed down to pass a person on a back road and it was like a rev limitor was on the car would hit about 3K RPM and cut out so after I got around them I drove another few miles and tried punching it again and it took off with no problems the rest of the day and I tried all day to get it to repeat. Autozone said the code said all cylinders were misfiring. Does this new info help any?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM

How about the fuel filter? This car has a lot of miles and I dont know when it was last changed. Is there a possibility that it is in need of replcing? I agree I feel it is a fuel problem just not sure where to start

Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by shaynes
How about the fuel filter? This car has a lot of miles and I dont know when it was last changed. Is there a possibility that it is in need of replcing? I agree I feel it is a fuel problem just not sure where to start
I dont think its your problem but it is a cheap fix if you want to start there. My guess would be the fuel pump/relay is not working correctly OR the injectors are not working at 100% when pumping fuel into the cylinders.

Best bet locate a mechanic that specializes in Jaguars and see if they could get to the bottom of it. Otherwise there is always the dealer but that could get costly..

Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Well I agree it is most likely a fuel issue but I would think all the injectors could be bad when the car runs great most of the time. I stated before it only did it when it was cold or not so much cold but when I started the car for the first time in the morning but now it has staarted every great now and then it will kick in ad out when I am on the road with the car heated up to where it should be after driving for 30 minutes or so and when I push down hard on it for some reason at around 3000 rpm it starts kicking in and out almost loke the rev limitor is kicking as it does when u put the car in park and floor it but it only does this every now and then. My thoughts are tht there is something that is limiting the amount of fuel the car is getting. The codes showed misfiring on all cylinders which makes me think itis a fuel issue something causing the car to not be able to get the correct amount of fuel. I really cant afford to take it to a garage and would like to try to figure this out on my own due to me living of my saving account now so and suggestions you can give me would be great. If it will help I can go back to autozone and get the codes he received if that would help but he did say all 6 cylinders were misfiring and he seemed to know what he was talking about. I cant see having 6 weak coils or injectors maybe the regulator or a filter. I will first try a filter and after that what do you feel would be my next move? I did runs some injection cleaner through the car and it seemed a little better for a day or two then it got worse. Maybe I broke something up I dont know but I do know I have used it before and it works great. So again any information would be very helpful. I am going to hold off on the filter until I get some feed back. Again thank all of you that have been helping me you hae been a great help.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something similar with mine. I have the 3.0L, but it may be helpful. These engines have adjustable airflow flaps. (Please pardon my lack of technical terms.) Basically, after the throttle body, the air goes into a manifold. You should see 2 black caps, each with an electrical connector plugged into them. On the 3.0, they are located on the pass side of the engine. Give this a shot, and it may solve your issue for $15. When you start the car, have the hood up. Listen closely to those 2 black caps (they're about 3-4inches across in size). If you hear a "hissing" noise like air is being sucked through, then I'd bet that is the problem. These caps are secured using 2 screws each. Go to your local Jag dealer, and get replacement o-rings for them. Both combined shouldn't cost you more than $15-$20.

Unplug the wires, take the screws out, and slide the units out. You'll see that ring right away. Replace them, and install the flaps back into place. Be careful so you don't jam anything. It's an easy fix, took me about 20 mins at most. Resolved all issues, including codes being thrown.

Quick Reply: need help fast please.....