X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help w/noise from engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help w/noise from engine...

Newbie here.. thanks up front for any advise you can offer.

Wifes car is an xtype 3.0 awd / 2003.

Upon start up, it makes this weird noise like a bearing thats gargeling water. I'm thinking the water pump but dont even know where to start with her car.

the noise seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine. this noise is present whether parked or driving and it is speed sensitive meaning it changes tone as the engine increases in rpm's.

We purchased the car about a yr ago. It had roughly 100K on it and had recently had the tranny replaced. (I considered it a positive to have an almost new tranny in the car). Prior owner stated it was replaced under warranty at a Jag dealer which I was able to confirm.

Anyway the noise is annoying and the car sounds sickly!!!

Thanks,
Andy

Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You must be able to identify the noise. Probably is the water pump idler bearing. Mine was also noisy and speed sensitive and I've replaced the tensioner. These are the moving parts in the driver side.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Default What do you mean??

I must be able to identify the noise?????

If I could identify the noise I wouldn't be asking for advise....

Thanks alot!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the timing chain tensioners if it does it when the car is not moving and is cold. Not a big deal now but the fragments in the oil could destoy you engine. Just a thought. Mines been doing it but a magnetic filter and drain plug Is good insurance until you replace it.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lmao!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Just to re-clarify...

the noise is there while stopped or moving. the noise is coming from the engine and is rpm sensative.

how to adjust the timing tensioner???

Old 03-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by afonda
I must be able to identify the noise?????

If I could identify the noise I wouldn't be asking for advise....

Thanks alot!!!

I was trying to help and to describe my problem that was similar with yours. In order to receive an accurate answer or advise, you do need to identify where the noise is coming from (i.e. left side or rights side, up or down) and come here with more info. Don't tell me you are not able to clarify at least the area is coming from. Ed told you how to do it. Since you presume is coming from the driver side I jus told you what it can be.

I am not a technician, I am just another Jaguar owner willing to help you out. I think you should be happy for any answer. At least that will help you to narrow the problem and learn from other's experience.
can the doctor put a diagnostic for you over the phone?
the noise is coming from the engine and is rpm sensative.
Do you know how many parts in the engine compartment are rpm sensitive? ALL engine moving parts are related to your rpm.

If I would knew that will be your reaction ...

Last edited by Tracus; 03-05-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 PM

MAYBE WE SHOULD CLARIFY ABIT......
call me stupid: isn't the "driver's side" a different side for those of you over the pond?

'cuz for me, the belt and idler and etc etc are on the PASSENGER SIDE..... :-)

Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Default No problem to clarify

this jag has the drivers seat and steering wheel on the left side of the car.

the noise sounds like a bad bearing spinning in water.

Are the timing chain tensioners hard to gain access to?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself have not done the timing chain. But from the looks of it, changing the timing set will be a tedious job. I am dreading it for sure!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I my self having mustered enough courage have removed my entire sub-frame and powertrain. The engine is out at the shop being repaired from the damage of those little metal filings that come from bearings. Well if it were your tensioners it would sound like a rattle and that is not good. It means something HAS ALREADY FAILED. The oil pressure is held static in this engine. What this means is that the pressure it had BEFORE you turned it off WILL be there until you turn the key again. At least for the tensioners this is how they operate. So your tensioners ARE NEVER SUPPOSED to back down on tension. Now logically, if you drop pressure due to a leak around or inside a bearing or journal then you will loose this precious oil pressure.

You should do two things if you hear the rattle sound. Replace OIL filter, not with FRAM but a WIX or a Factory filter, and replace the oil with a good synthetic. If you do not change the oil yourseld bring 6 quarts with you to your local oil change place or take to dealer. While you are at it install a Magnetic drain plug and one of these babies : MagnaFilter http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...gnafilter.html
This will help to capture metallic debris from bearings.

It sounds to me like you have an air leak in the water cooling system, specifically the water pump. (in US the pump is on the left side of the car if you were sitting in it.) I have have the pleasure of replacing my pump at about 55k miles. Extremely easy for the pump, not so for the body. Check your radiator "overflow" tank and make sure it is not empty and the cap is securely in place. Look for ANY sign of leakage.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I know the answer

I know exactly what your probelm is, and how to fix it. But seeing you were such a snot to someone who was willing to take the time to help you, I think you should go to a Jag *******.....er Dealer.......

Last edited by adreasx; 03-08-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Default Im sorry you feel that way...

I dont think I was a "snot" at all.

If you would go and read his post, you will see it does not make any sense at all.

If you know what wrong, I would really appreciate your input. Isnt that what this forum is all about anyway? Input to help others??

Thanks,
Afonda

Old 03-09-2009, 08:35 AM

I dont think I was a "snot" at all.

If you would go and read his post, you will see it does not make any sense at all.

If you know what wrong, I would really appreciate your input. Isnt that what this forum is all about anyway? Input to help others??

Thanks,
Afonda
HEY:
can't we all just get along?

afonda, I think you're off to a rough start here. we want to help. It doesn't help that you get immature responses like this:
Originally Posted by adreasx
I know exactly what your probelm is, and how to fix it. But seeing you were such a snot to someone who was willing to take the time to help you, I think you should go to a Jag *******.....er Dealer.......
(though truth be known, I've done a similar thing )

But it also doesn't help that you reacted so harshly to some advice that you interpreted differently than the poster meant it, and then when he clarified, you didn't retract your harsh reply at all.
I'm not sure why you would just assume that somebody was being ignorant to you, rather than first trying to clarify what he meant? Are you typically the victim of such abuse?

I'd suggest you use the information you've been given here, then get back to us with what you find. We'll continue to be more than happy to help out any way we can.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Default My other vehicle is a

Ford F250... I have been all over the Ford FTE forum for a long time now and never had any issues.

My first post here... and I get this.

Tracus.. would you please be so kind as to clarify what you were trying to convey in your initial post on this thread? Please??

I would truly welcome any advise any of you may have to help me fix my wifes car. I really dont want her stranded anywhere. Plus I work over an hour from home and cant easily come to her aide at the drop of a hat. So, keeping her car in top condition is very important to me.

Thank you all for the help you have given. I am looking forward to a mutually beneficial relationship.

As far as this issue at hand, I dont know how to tell you anymore than I already have. I will try to answer all questions as best as I can.

Thank you all again.
Afonda

Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Tracus.. would you please be so kind as to clarify what you were trying to convey in your initial post on this thread? Please??
cute.
But he did already.

As far as this issue at hand, I dont know how to tell you anymore than I already have.
And I'm not sure anyone can help you anymore then they already have until you actually try some of the suggestions given, and then report back what you've found.

If yopu've been "all ove rthe FTE Forums", as you say, then you must SURELY be aquainted with how to find strange noises.... 'cuz Ford trucks have been making strange noises for as long as they've been making 'em. C'mon man, you;ve got to make some effort of your own here.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Default I guess there is no pleasing any of you...

I wrote a really nice response and I still got reamed up one side and down the other....

Thanks alot!!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by adreasx

Adreasx, I think afonda is just a bit frustrated. Think of how you will be helping everyone if you know what's up with this one. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Default Can someone please adivse on how to check the water pump?

Is there a test to check the water pump or the tensioner?

Also, can anyone assist me with the exact location of the water pump?

Quick Reply: Need help w/noise from engine...