Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need replacement tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need replacement tires

Hi Folks,
Looking for a decent all-year tire for my 2002 X-Type. Last tires I had were the OEM Continentals. They didn't last very long at all (although I just recently learned I need all sorts of suspension and rear end work). I do mostly highway mileage. Looking to spend no more than about $125 per tire. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goodyear RSA's... Great all season tire, I got them from tire rack for a real good price. I think they are much better then the stock Conti's.. They are OEM on my 09 Murano and I like them on there as well.

Deff worth the money..

Old 11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Longer lasting= harder rubber. My compromise if I need all season tires is Kuhmo Estca ASXs. Installed price should be a good bit under $400 from your average indie tire store. Last around 30-40k. They are master of nothing but well above average in every catagory. There was just a thread on the subject a few weeks back.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  19.3 KB

I had Pirellis on my 2.5 X type and loved them, little road noise, greta in the wet or dry and lasted well too for my money.
I've driven over a million miles as a sales rep in over 20 years all mostly on either Pirelli, Continental Contact Sport 2 or Bridgestones REO50.

I recently upgraded from 17" wheels to 19" and went from Continentals to Kuhmo Ecsta's for the very first time.
I really want to give them a chance - I didn't pick them, they came with the wheels!
First impressions for me are that they are slippery as hell (albeit in the wet ) and I'm really not that confident in them so far. To be honest though they are brand new and need run in for a hundred miles or so to bed in and get some grip......then we'll see, but I won't be pushing them as far as I did with the Conti's based on experiences to date.

Tyres are like oil and many other things though.....all down to personal preferences!

Good luck with whatever you decide to go for Kilroy

Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

I had Pirellis on my 2.5 X type and loved them, little road noise, greta in the wet or dry and lasted well too for my money.
I've driven over a million miles as a sales rep in over 20 years all mostly on either Pirelli, Continental Contact Sport 2 or Bridgestones REO50.

I recently upgraded from 17" wheels to 19" and went from Continentals to Kuhmo Ecsta's for the very first time.
I really want to give them a chance - I didn't pick them, they came with the wheels!
First impressions for me are that they are slippery as hell (albeit in the wet ) and I'm really not that confident in them so far. To be honest though they are brand new and need run in for a hundred miles or so to bed in and get some grip......then we'll see, but I won't be pushing them as far as I did with the Conti's based on experiences to date.

Tyres are like oil and many other things though.....all down to personal preferences!

Good luck with whatever you decide to go for Kilroy
Remember Jim there are like 10 different Ecsta's from touring tire to max performance all season tire. I've found the ASX to be far superior to the Conti CS2s that I couldn't wait to remove a week after I brought my X type home. I thought I might need 4 wheel bearings they were so lound at 2/3-3/4 tread over asphalt roads. Granted, I couldn't last more than 200 miles to do a fair comparison. I prefer to save my hearing loss for the Tivver. Having driven on some of the non performance oriented Ecsta's I would agree but then again, they aren't even in the same performance catagory so you would need to compare it to other hard as a rock tire.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Kilroy,

Where do you live? Snow country? If we know that we can perhaps advise with a little more precision. Some all-season tires are a little more bent toward snow traction than others that may be a little more dry/wet oriented.

Here in Pittsburgh, I've had good results with ContiExtremeContact DWS for all-year around driving. The DWS are a little less noisy and perhaps a little worse in the snow than the prior non-DWS version, but still handle very well in all conditions but very deep snow.

I didn't get a chance to drive my Goodyear Eagle GT's in the snow but they were fantastic in the wet and on dry pavement.

Hankook Ventus Evo's were iffy in the snow, good otherwise.

Falken Ziek 512's were pretty horrible all the way around.

All of the above should be roughly in your price range.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I've got the Conti Extreme Contact DWS and am happy with them.