X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Help and Advise with Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need Some Help and Advise with Transfer case

What can happen if you fill the transfer case up to far, and in pints and ounce how much oil should go in the transfer case? Is there a kit I can buy to rebuild the the transfer case with new bearings? I think I've mine is starting to make a noise. I've read most of the threads I could find, but any help on this new thread would be helpfull. Plus there's always someone out there that is doing something new or doing it a different way. Thanks everyone.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Vai, as long as you are not grossly over filling it, all you will do is spit some fluid out the vent and you will get a funny smell from the car as the synthetic lube burns off of the exhaust pipe. No big deal.

As for how much fluid, you are supposed to add in 550ml if you do a complete drain. So, that works out to be 1 pint and about 3 ounces. If you rebuild the transfer case, then you should add in 600 ml of fluid (75W-140 full synthetic gear lube).

As for a kit to rebuild the transfer case, I can't say that there is one out there. One of the members rebuilt his and he posted a list of the bearings that you need and where to get them from.

The following users liked this post:
vai1953 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Thanks Thermo, of course buy the time I got around to checking the case it was dry. I didn't clean it out, and I didn't see any place where it was leaking from. I turned wreaths for 47 years until an accident driving service truck. But the case has a small humm to it, I've put maybe 100 miles on it since I filled it, I put in a pint and maybe 6 to 8 ounces in it and lost maybe a half of an ounce when I got the plug back in. It's not making near the amount of noise it made before filling, but I'm getting a burning smell and not the gear oil smell I was getting before. Do you think I should drain it, and refill. I put a piece of cardboard under it and there's no leakage, I've yet to get under it and see if there was anything up under on the bottom of the floor. It's a 2002 x-type with 102000 miles.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Veteran member

Vai, right after I do an oil change or change out the transfer case fluid, I get that same smell. There is just a little bit that is stuck in the metal of the exhaust. I personally would not worry about it. Give it another week or so and the smell should go away. It doesn't take much to really get a smell going.

As long as the transfer case doesn't sound like it it eating itself, I would keep driving it. If you have a leak, normally it will come out at the spot where the rear driveshaft meets the output shaft of the transfer case. The flange actually has a seal on it and it leaks from where the nut holds the flange on to the output shaft. If you drop the rear drive shaft, you will see the nut inside the joint. Remove the nut, clean up the surface, a little bit of RTV on the face of the nut and then tighten it back down. That will normally stop that leak.

vai1953 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Thanks Thermo, that sounds like what I've been looking for. Although, when I was under it there wasn't any wetness around the driveshaft, or any place under it. Unless the leak was so little that it leaked a small amount for a long period of time. I will have to climb under it and re-look under the car again, I will pull the driveshaft out and and tighten the shaft nut too. Thanks a lot again.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

vai, if you look under the car just in front of where the e-brake comes out, that is where you will see the fluid if the nut is your problem. If you look, you should see a heat shield in that area too. The fluid normally covers that silver heat shield and turns it almost the color of the underside of the car.

vai1953 (05-05-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>As long as the transfer case doesn't sound like it it eating itself

Yes, as a someone who has had the T-Case fail, I can report that the noise it generates sounds very much like a failed wheel bearing (i.e., you'll KNOW when its time a come...)
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

vai1953 (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Pab, did you have yours replaced or did you rebuild it? If you don't mind me asking what did it cost you? I've turned wretches for many years and I was thinking of doing it myself, so since I put oil in it, it's started to quite down, still has a little humm. I just drained it about a hour ago, I'm going to refill it again, I didn't look at what I took out yet, or even how much was in there. I jacked the other side of the car up so I could get as much out as possible. Thanks for your help also Pablo. I live in the Pocano mountains, don't want to break down out there......LOL

Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Pab, did you have yours replaced or did you rebuild it? If you don't mind me asking what did it cost you?

Ha, it was April '11 and the car was still covered by its Jaguar warranty.

I believe I got one of the last factory-new T-Cases in the country because soon afterwards people on this list started saying that only rebuilds were available.

If I'd paid for it I bet it would have been a ~$5K job... =:-0
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

vai1953 (05-08-2012)