X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help please

Hey everyone ! Need some help here, my 02 xtype cranks but won't start and I noticed the antifreeze pours out somewhere under the car when I'm cranking. No water in the oil at all, does anyone know what this is ? I would greatly appreciate all advice or opinions, bought this as a project so not sure what's going on, didn't get much info from the owner.???? Thanks guys

Old 10-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

First thing i would suggest is do a compression test on the cylinders.
also do a pressure test on the cooling system see if you can pinpoint the coolant leak.

one step at a time

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Danny7710 (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 06:24 PM

Thank you for the input, it's a start for me. I already planned on doing upper and lower intake gaskets, plugs , mass airflow, knock sensor etc. not sure when if ever it was all don't , but I just want this beauty running ASAP , can't wait to drive it! Whatever it takes this Jag will be on the road , it is my mission with hopefully a successful outcome. I take all the pointers , opinions and facts I can get, thanks again!

Old 10-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Default Coolant leaking

I can see coolant coming out under the car somewhere towards the firewall, just can't see up in the motor enough to see where from. I pour it in, it seems to come right out , more when I crank it , what's back there and would a coolant problem cause a crank no start???

Old 10-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Danny: Just a dumb thought..... since coolant pours out near the firewall without even cranking the engine, and pours out faster when you crank the engine, the problem might be as simple as a split coolant hose between the engine and heater core.

Stand by the driver's side front tire and look down between the engine and firewall. Near the brake master cylinder you'll see two black hoses, each wrapped in a metal heat shield, descending behind the engine, and going into the low part of the firewall. One supplies coolant to the heater core, the other is the return line from the heater core. If either hose has a split or has been melted by the nearby catalytic converter, coolant will leak between the engine and firewall.

I can't think of a reason why a leak in these lines would cause the engine to crank but not start, unless someone overheated and damaged the engine by running it without coolant.

The following users liked this post:
Danny7710 (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 PM

That definately sounds like the leak area, I'm going to look around. As for the rest, no start, it seems many things as far as servicing have been neglected, I already planned on basically dismantling the engine as deep as I need to, and replacing anything it needs. I got this car for what I feel is a steal at $950.00, I'm ready to get dirty and spend some money, the car is mint otherwise, I'll replace the engine if it comes down to it. It's my first jag and I'm determined to drive it. I'm going to need plenty of help, which I've gotten so much iof already, thank you all again. Will definately be in touch with my finds and questions!