Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New! Could use some knowledge!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New! Could use some knowledge!

Hello All!
Though I am not new to cars, I am new to the world of Jaguar's.
I have been looking at many different kinds of cars, (all awd), and my grandfather actually suggested the x-type to me...

So to start off! I found a 03 2.5 5speed x-type in town for $9600, it has 61K miles, all stock except tinted windows.

He says that he had every fluid changed, and all the brakes done, and the 60k mile tune up done. What does this include?

When he started it I heard the belt make a slight squeak, but after it warmed up it was gone...Drove great. Lots of power! (I drive a 02 taurus now)
Love the car! Want it, but the blue book says its only worth $6700...is this acurate?

Also, some poking around has shown me that the diff's on the x-type cant take much abuse, is this true? I wanted to due some modifications and such, and I do redline it sometimes for fun, but if this is true then I might steer away

So any input would be helpful, thanks!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 PM

oh wait, I meant transfer case. LoL not diff...

Old 06-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

whatwas, first off, asking $9600 for that car is pretty high. I would pass on this car unless the dealership/seller is willing to come to to something under $7000. yes, the car has low miles, but with the newer cars, anything under about 150,000 miles is still good as the motors are capable of going out to 300,000 miles with regular maintenance.

As for the maintenance at 60K miles, if they followed the book, all that really entails is doing a lot of inspections of the brakes, belts, electrical system, and then doing an oil change. Sounds good, but in reality, these are things I do at pretty much every oil change. The spark plugs are not due until 100K miles. They probably also did the fuel filter (oh, that is a 30 minute job and a $10 filter).

Now for the make and break question, is the transfer case the weak link. Unfortunately, yes it is. From our discussions with other members if you like to go red light to red light a lot, this is going to be an expensive car to own due to replacing transfer cases every 30K miles to the tune of about $3000 each time. You drive sensibly (you can still play with the car periodically), the transfer case will outlast the car. Doing engine modifications is only going to make this situation that much worse. Granted, what you will also find is that the choices of engine modifications are pretty slim. If you are looking at bolt on things, you have your choice between new mufflers, new cold air intake, and that is about it. Any modifications beyond that and you are looking at something custom and can expect to pay a price accordingly.

If you are wanting something a bit more sporty to have fun with, I would recommend finding an S-Type with the 4.0L engine. That will have the power you are after, a very nice ride, and a drivetrain that is going to handle how you like to drive without driving you too much more over what an X-Type is going to run you.

If you have more questions, ask. I don't want to make the X-Type sound like a bad car, it isn't (most of us have had a very trouble free car), but at the same time, there are limitations (as with any car).

One last thing if you are set on the X-Type in question, ask the dealership how they changed the transfer case fluid. If the car sales lot says something to the effect of "we pulled the drain plug, drained out the fluid, put the plug back in and then refilled to the proper level", RUN FROM THE CAR!!!!!!!! odds are, they didn't do the transfer case fluid and are probably lying about a lot of other things. Why do I say this? The fill plug on the transfer case is wedged between the transfer case and the engine. You can not access it without dropping the transfer case from the car (little known fact). So, the only way to refill the transfer case is to fill through the drain plug. There are ways to do that, but most people don't know about this. But then, to the car lots credit, part of the reason why the price is so high is because they did all of this work. You can buy a car with the same miles without the maintenance for around $6K, spend another $500 and a little bit of time yourself with the car and get the same stuff done. Just saying.

The following users liked this post:
...what was that?... (06-12-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 AM

WOW! Thanks for all the info...
So no one has been able to fix the transfer case problem at all?
I have heard of people beefing up other transfer cases like on the old eagle talon and such...no way with the x-type?

Does the S-type come in awd? I like in Wa and have to travel 60 miles a day for work, need something safe and awd.

I am going to try and talk him down, he is a private seller and says he has only had the car for a couple of months. I am going to take it to an import mech in town and have him check it out, just to be safe.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to the forums. If there is anything to the X both good and bad you will find it here. If you take several hours to search around here you will be handsomely rewarded in knowing the different specs, model features and trim levels that were available on tehse cars. From your brief description that sounds like a very optimistic price on the part of the seller. If it's a maual 2.5 that sounds like it could be more of a base maodel. For $9600 you could get something easily in the 2005 range I would think. PLEASE do your research BEFORE you buy, so you know what you might be getting into. DON'T buy it just because you cn buy a Jaguar for under ten grand.

Thermo is right about the transfer case being the weak link in these cars. I think it was in 2004 (maybe 2005) they changed the transfer case and it seems like they have been a lot fewer issues with it. Alos seems that overall cars from 2004 on have been a lot more reliable as the 2002-2003 models had a lot of teething problems that Jaguar cleaned up. Do a search on here for the particulars. Also seems like there have been less issues with manual transmission cars. That said, Like Thermo mentioned, this is NOT a good candidate to mod up for performance. Other than what he mentioned your best bet would be to find a Sport model with a 3.0 liter engine and maybe with a manual transmission although those are very hard to find.

I have a 2005 that just turned over 90K miles and it's been virtually bullet proof for me. I think the X can be a great car for the money, but in my mind it is crucial you know what you are looking at. Do your homework and it will pay off. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran member

What was, Jaguar owners are kind of a fickle group. For the most part, they don't modify their vehicles, especially to the point that it is obvious that they have been modified by looking at the outside. Am I saying it doesn't happen, no. But, for the most part, you will find that they are left in a pretty much stock form. With that being said, the aftermarket world looks past them unless you know some tricks (for example, a lot of mod parts for the 3.0L Lincoln LS motor will bolt on to the Jag motor, but not all). But even those are hard to come by.

Like was mentioned by Alfa, there has been no "miracle fix" found for the transfer case of the X-Type. It is a structural issue with the case itself, not a bearing. So, the only way to fix this is to either manufacture a new case (no one is willing to spend the money on something like this) or you have to get a case, take it to a fab shop, and have them do a lot of welding to beef up the case. Then you are looking at a lot of time and money to get something like that done. Also, as was mentioned, the 2004 and newer X-Types have a different transfer case than the 02-03 years. This has proven to be more reliable, but not prone to failure.

If you are looking for a good AWD car that is fun to drive, may I recommend a Subaru WRX or STi. They are a bit more common place, but their drivelines are bulletproof and the car will do what you are after. Granted, they also are not cheap as they are desireable by a lot of people. If you do go with the X-Type, drive sensibly and you will have a good car. Please don't read this as you can't have fun with the car periodically (lord knows I have fun now and then), but the more you play, the more likely you are to have to pay.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, really great stuff...

So its the structure. Hmm, I have heard of this before on other cars...Just not a big market I guess with these.
I am not going to go all crazy just so I can make myself clear. I just want it to sound a little meaner and have a little more get up when I need it

That being said I have thought of the wrx and such, but like you said, supply and demand prove to hav those be impossible to find for under $20k. I have found a 03 Audi a4 avaint with the 3.0. Nice car and while most people fear them, I have had plenty of friends that beat the crap out of them and run them into the 200k miles no sweat. This car is only at the $10K price with 85K miles. Not to bad at all, 6 speed and what not. Going to go test drive it tomarrow and see the difference in the cars.

If I was to pull the transfer case, where would it need to be beefed up? Anyone got a pic?
I am pretty handy with a torch and might be able to fab something up...

Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

After just having had my T-case replaced (under warranty... ;-) at ~60K miles and reading all the stories and theories about their failures I've come to the conclusion that the basic problem is due to the limited amount of lub in the case and the likelihood of leaks through the drive-shaft (or propeller shaft as the Brits call it).

Small amount of lub and slow leaks that are not really noticeable coupled with the difficulty of measuring how much lub is in the case as well as adding new fluid results in case going "dry" and failing.

No one has really said that their T-case failed because it was mechanically under-engineered for the power of the 3.0l engine (unlike the transmission??) rather that they failed when the ran out of lubricant.

Did I get that right?
================================================== ====
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM

I hope it isn't a leak thing, and is more of a mechanically under-engineered thing. I can fab something if it is, but if it just leaks and there is no way to find and stop the leak then I am

Anyone know of another transfer case that might fit? Mabey from an awd taurus or something along those lines?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:37 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

I've heard that Ford dove into the corporate parts bin for the X-Type AWD and that the T-case is actually sourced from Volvo.

Ford owned both Jaguar and Volvo at the time and Volvo has had AWD cars since the late '90s so that story might have legs.

================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All I can say is that since 1997 I have owned quite a few entry level lux cars - started with the BMW 325i, then Acura TL then Mercedes C 280 4 matic and finally a Jag X. My experience has been that the cost of maintenance has been around the same for all.

Each car has it's pros and cons. I like the Jag for exterior styling, the seats and all round driving. The TL had the best fit and finish and audio system. The 325 was fun on the highway Iersonally find the x to be better than the C 280 in almost every single way.....that's just me experience. I also know that out of all these cars the x type has the lowest re sale value, but I'd take an x every time.

As for mileage. I am a great believer in low is better. I have never owned a car that wasn't great at 30K miles and wasn't significantly worse by 80K. I usually take decent care of my cars and based on my experience low miles are really really really important in a used car.

My 2 cents

Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

AWD is actually from Jatco and is used in Volkswagens and a bunch of other cars. The front/rear biasing 40/60 is unique and part of the problem.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

theres nothing wrong with the transfer case

just dont use it as a drag car and like thermo says it will out last the car itself

just do regular tc changes

like most awd cars

keep an eye on tire wear

change fluid and treat it right

Old 06-14-2011, 02:34 PM

LoL I am not going to use it as a drag car, It will experiance some get up when I am feeling it (with honda's reving beside me or something).
I got in the audi, sucked! Was a crap drive, the add said it was a 6 speed and I get there and it is a auto with "select drive". I said that means its a 5 speed auto, they said no its a 6 speed. I drove it anyway and counted the gears. 5, just like I said. Had a busted windshield and a crazy rattle from the engine bay that they said was just the ac compressor...yea ok...all this from a high end toyota dealership too. Crap!

So I will be getting ahold of the guy in town with the 2.5 5 speed x-type and see if he will come down $3k in his asking price to what the KBB says...if not then the search continues!

*Pab-Volvo you say? Mabey I can source another volvo awd that splits the drive same as the x-type...Ill have to look more into it. Does anyone know if the ECU plays a part in the t-case in a stick? Would make it harder for me personally...

Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

The TC is not Volvo, it's Visteon. Built specifically for the X-Type.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by exexpat
AWD is actually from Jatco and is used in Volkswagens and a bunch of other cars. The front/rear biasing 40/60 is unique and part of the problem.
Jatco makes auto transmissions - used to be owned by Nissan/Infiniti. Jeremy is right in that Nissans, Infiniti's, and several Volkswagen and Audi's use Jatco. However, hard to know which cars exactly since marketing agreements these days don't allows companies to disclose who is using parts made by whom in many cases.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 PM

Sad day...no wonder no one has tried to fab and aftermarket unit for the X-type...

So from what I have gathered, the t case just leaks fluid out and this makes the t case over heat and burn up which is why it fails?...Or is it just that it has weak components and thats that?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

what was, the problem with the case failing is that the case physically splits into 2 pieces due to the metal flexing and then failing over time. Under hard acceleration, the case flexes too much. Over time, this leads to fatigue failure and the one side of the case breaking into pieces. So, with the crack in the case, you can see where this will lead to loss of fluid. Granted, a lot of us have "drained" our transfer cases only to find no fluid in the case as it was. So, the "overheat" issue isn't a major concern as I see it. I'm sure if you are doing prolonged high speed driving or lots of back to back hard accelerations that it would lead to an overheat condition, but normal driving, not that big of a worry from what I can tell.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 AM

I think the main issue was Jag claiming it was sealed for life. Both jag dealers near me offer TC fluid servicing.

Touch wood mine has been fine. It's been rock solid in very driving condition. I've even driven on the beach where every I was the only car! I had to over a soft bank of sand and the guard was shocked my car made it. He told us an Outback had got stuck a little earlier.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only had mine 2 months, but at 114,000 miles it still runs and handles like a dream. Paid 6500 from Jag dealer, so I think your seller is a bit high.

Dumping the clutch to get a good hole-shot is something I never really considered trying, but I do like to wind it up pretty good more often than not.

Quick Reply: New! Could use some knowledge!