X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum, 2002 Jaguar X Type owner, engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New to the forum, 2002 Jaguar X Type owner, engine failure

Hello im new here, I ot this car about 6 months ago, it currently has 129,000 miles on it, I really like the car and its in great shape, I put these wheels on Wednesday last week, and then on christmas eve the motor threw a rod or something, anyways got word today it needs a new engine, there was a little knock that started after I bought it, and what ever it was finally caused engine failure. The mechanic that works on Jags in my area suggested to go with a new motor rather than pay to take it apart to see whats wrong, so long story short we found an engine with 26,000 miles on it and they are going to get the engine and install it for $5,500. Does that sound reasonable? considering its only got 26k and a brand new motor is upwards of $8k seems like the way to go, anyways the car is in such nice condition I'd rather just replace the motor rather than be on the hunt for another car that will likely have issues.
Any thoughts or opinions on this? if I put a nearly new motor in could it cause any known problems on the older parts, like tranny or anything else?
The car is already at the shop and the motor will be getting shipped in the next 2 days.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Here it is below, note it was 15 degrees out which is why you could see the exhaust in this pic. also with the thought of having an almost new engine, leads me to want to do a little after market performance modifications, where before I just babied it everywhere.

Attached Thumbnails New to the forum, 2002 Jaguar X Type owner, engine failure-20121221092404.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Tough call, how much do you have in the car now? I'm thinking that an '02 really isn't worth a whole lot over the $6K the motor is going to cost you.

All things considered, and this really sucks, but perhaps you should be looking for another one, unless this one is in super super condition.

Sure you can put the motor in, but what if your T-Case decides to fail, or your ABS dies, or your transmission control unit fries because the previous owner dumped a 32oz coke on the center console, or the engine control unit fails because that minor leak in the wind shield finally soaked into the dash, or...

I think '02 with those many miles probably isn't worth what your considering doing.

I feel sorry for you, because the car does look good in the picture (although, I'm old school, and don't particularly like the large wheel look...)

Good luck
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 12-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by pab
Tough call, how much do you have in the car now? I'm thinking that an '02 really isn't worth a whole lot over the $6K the motor is going to cost you.

All things considered, and this really sucks, but perhaps you should be looking for another one, unless this one is in super super condition.

Sure you can put the motor in, but what if your T-Case decides to fail, or your ABS dies, or your transmission control unit fries because the previous owner dumped a 32oz coke on the center console, or the engine control unit fails because that minor leak in the wind shield finally soaked into the dash, or...

I think '02 with those many miles probably isn't worth what your considering doing.

I feel sorry for you, because the car does look good in the picture (although, I'm old school, and don't particularly like the large wheel look...)

Good luck
The car is in excellent condition, the interior looks brand new, i've never seen a car with over 100k have a driver seat with no wear on it, the prior owner must have worn soft dress pants all the time, and rarely to never, carried any passengers as all the seats seems brand new, body and paint is in near mint condition, all the chrome is free of defects, all the buttons in the car work flawlessly, the only issues i've had is when it got cold out it started up crappy, and now whatever sound the engine was making failed and finished off the engine, they are assuming by the sound its a rod bearing or something in that area, what ever it is sounds insane if you start it, which it still starts, I look at it this way, if everything else is in good working order, and the only issue was with the motor, putting one with 26k on it should give me another 100k off the car as long as all the other parts hold up. I think it would be cheaper in the long run as this is the second used car i've gotten in the last year that had engine failure. It seems to be to be too much of a gamble at this point. I could go find another one, but I really think it would be less of an expense in the long run to do it this way.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Sure, I don't disagree what so ever, the car does look nice!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Do it......better the devil you know than the devil you don't know

The following users liked this post:
Wine Guy (12-29-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a similar story with my wife's 2002 X-type. I bought the engine. Frankly now, I wish I had walked away. But I am neck deep in putting in the new engine. So there we are. If you are confident in the condition of the rest of the car, putting in the new used engine is not a bad call. Walking away is not a bad call. No wrong answer here.

IMO: Unless your skills are top shelf, I'd let some else do the job. I'm pretty good with a wrench, and have done it for a living. But the X-type is a bit of a bear to work on.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce
I have a similar story with my wife's 2002 X-type. I bought the engine. Frankly now, I wish I had walked away. But I am neck deep in putting in the new engine. So there we are. If you are confident in the condition of the rest of the car, putting in the new used engine is not a bad call. Walking away is not a bad call. No wrong answer here.

IMO: Unless your skills are top shelf, I'd let some else do the job. I'm pretty good with a wrench, and have done it for a living. But the X-type is a bit of a bear to work on.
The shop its at is getting the engine with 26k miles on it shipped in, and installing it for a maximum $5,500, he said thats the worst case scenario price factoring in that they will potentially have to replace some misc. parts during the install I mentioned to him that one of the hoses on the radiator leaked on occasion, and he said during the install he will be finding things like that and fixing them as part of the total cost of the motor install, he basically said for $5,500 the motor and its components will be in perfect working order when it leaves the shop,
Sounds better then going through the mystery of buying another used car.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

I spent $1200 for my 60k mile engine. Lets say your lower miles unit is worth twice that, then $3100 for the installation and guarantee is still a steal. Those guys are going to earn that money!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce
I spent $1200 for my 60k mile engine. Lets say your lower miles unit is worth twice that, then $3100 for the installation and guarantee is still a steal. Those guys are going to earn that money!
they seem to know what they are doing, every car person I asked in the area refereed me to them, so rather than shop around figured I should go where everyone said was the best.

Its going to be a couple weeks before its done, the place that had the engine was in Arkansas in an area that is in the state of emergency, they got a bunch of ice then snow on top of that and no power, but the guy called them back today and said he had the engine still and should be able to get it shipped out in the next couple of days.

I will keep posting on how its coming along. and take a video of the end result.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 PM

Heres a vid when I just got it last July. literally the only place worn on the car is where you grip the steering wheel.

Heres my most recent video, should have taken one after the engine started going whack but was too depressed lol

Old 10-30-2020, 12:56 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wine Guy
Heres a vid when I just got it last July. literally the only place worn on the car is where you grip the steering wheel.
New Toy, Jag X Type 3.0 AWD - YouTube

Heres my most recent video, should have taken one after the engine started going whack but was too depressed lol

Jaguar update, new rims - YouTube
What happened?. I can't play your second video.