New guy here

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here

Just bought a 2003 x type. Anything that I should know? So far I'm lovin' it

Old 04-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my 03 xtype for only a few months, and have found out some very important things. Some info MAY be inaccurate due to my lack of complete experience. Other members here may correct me where it's needed.

One really major manufacturing fault is the development of rust from within the rocker panel support beam and working it's way out. Water comes in through the A pillar and into the rocker panels from what I understand. Lack of rust proof coating allows for rust to form and expand to the outer portions. A simple way to find out if you have this rust is to inspect your door jams along the a pillar, and behind the plastic side skirts. My own xtype basically no rocker panels left, I've since sourced outer rocker panels and will make custom inner pieces.

The transfer cases are known to have a weak housing, hard acceleration from a standstill can cause the housing the fracture. Under regular driving they tend to be reliable, just make sure to you have fresh fluid in yours. Plenty of threads here on the process for the fluid change.

Depending on your vin and if your car is an auto, the jatco 5spd installed in our cars has a piece that is made from weak metal and can fracture under higher temps, poor lubrication, and or just getting worn from age . My vehicle is past the vin range of this issue from what I know. Just to be careful I did a fluid change shortly after purchase. You can find a walkthrough of a trans fluid change on these forums.

These are the major things that I can name off the top of my head. These xtypes can be very reliable cars and a lot of fun to drive. However consistent and proper maintenance is very important. As well as being aware of issues stated above.

I hope you enjoy your new jaguar! Best of luck throughout the ownership.

Andrew

Old 04-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Some rust on driver side rocker and lower a pillar, just above rocker as seen when door is open. Mine is a 2.5 5spd. Plan on doing fluid change on trans and tcase.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Badyna
Thanks. Some rust on driver side rocker and lower a pillar, just above rocker as seen when door is open. Mine is a 2.5 5spd. Plan on doing fluid change on trans and tcase.
If you go on jegs, you can find replacement outer rocker panels. They're priced at 113$ a side. That's what I planned on using, then getting some metal and making a custom inner support. For the tcase fluid use 75w-140 gear oil seems many people use redline or royal purple brand. Transmission uses castrol transmax import multi-vehicle if it's an auto, for manual trans I'm unsure.

Again best of luck man

Andrew