Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 03' X-type 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me 03' X-type 2.5

Hello everyone,

Today (5/26/15) I bought a 2003 X-type 2.5. Found the car on Craig’s list everything looked good and what not so now it is mine. I live in Rochester NY where finding a rust free car is a bonus. Not only do they use salt in the winter but they also use liquid calcium on the road. This car spend much of its life in Maryland and I am the 3rd owner of it. Very Clean, good car fax, 146k. I picked it up for 3 grand and I am very happy with the purchase. Of course today, the first day I have it the battery light comes on goes off comes on etc., yes yes I know replace the cables. Before I jumped online I was check it with a meter and it was charging fine but I noticed the positive cable was very warm, warmer than the negative and the negative was also warm itself. I plan to replace the cables and clean the connections this weekend. The battery is from 10’ and we have had cold winters but I will try cables first. Also it did have an alternator replaced @ 78,000 so I guess it could still be an alternator, not sure if 70-80k is average life for these alternators but from what I have read im starting with the cables. While I am no auto mechanic I am a small engines mechanic so tackling this battery issue shouldn’t be a problem. Still needs some detailing and brakes and rotors wouldn't hurt. Just wanted to say hello to everyone and poke around some.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

JB: Welcome to the Jaguar Forum. As you're already seeing, a lot of useful information is shared here. Your X-Type's AWD will be fun to drive on Rochester's snow, and this site will help you keep it going many more miles.

After you replace the positive battery cable and clean the connections, the battery light will likely stay off. If it comes back on, check the 5 year old battery and the serpentine belt & tensioner. Hopefully the alternator is not the culprit, as it's more challenging to remove from our X-Types vs. other cars.

When you work on the battery cables, also clean the connection between the negative cable and the chassis. Follow the negative cable under the battery to where it bolts to the chassis, behind the headlight.

Good luck, let us know what you find, and welcome to the forum.