X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member looking at a 2005 x-type 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member looking at a 2005 x-type 3.0

and have no idea what to look for or if this is a good idea.

details:

it's loaded - rear sensing, memory front seats, heated seats, looks like has sport package (wheels, painted trim, mesh grill), etc. 51,000 miles, autocheck is a 92, no accidents or anything on there.

BUT - cosmetically it's not pristine - needs a good cut/polish and wax. interior door trim on rear passenger side has 3 little cuts into the plastic just below window - i figure this could be patched fairly well.

one thing that really alarmed me was the rear seat bench was loose. meaning, i was sitting back there and could lift it up in the middle. WTF is that about?

it's at a LR/Jaguar dealer, but they offer no warranty at all, not even a 1 month/3000 mile. it's priced at $10,900. i don't get the pricing, KBB/edmunds/etc all have these cars at like $7k.

any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:39 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum ilcavallo,

I've copied this post from your Intro thread for input from members with the same model you are considering.

It may help them to know you are in North Carolina when considering the asking price.

Graham

Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

IMPO..Skip this car..it could be by the current condition you describe and that the dealer is hands-off for any kind of warranty, be a nightmare for you..And I think it is way over priced.

Read thorough these threads here on the X-type and make an educated decision on whether or not the X-type is for you..

FYI: The X-type is Ford's afterbirth of the Ford Mondeo, Which kinda is a European version of the Ford Taurus..It was Ford's/jaguar's idea for entry level Jaguar.

Last edited by DPK; 08-31-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:59 PM

DPK - appreciate your viewpoint. i'm very educated on WHAT the x-type is and how it came about. not so much on usual problems and whatnot. that's why i'm here reading as much as i can. i drove the car and it was very tight. seemed good mechanically, but i would have it checked out by a mechanic if i were to go forward with it before buying.

the cosmetic issues don't concern me a great deal. paint can be polished and usually interior blemishes can be fixed. my issues really are:

1 - back seat bottom cushion was loose. weird.
2 - what are these cars REALLY worth? i can't get a good read on it at all.
3 - at what price is this a decent buy considering no warranty is being offered?

Old 08-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

1) I can't help you there. It might be as simple as someone took it out and maybe it wasn't latched back in properly. You should be able to have the dealer fix that as part of the deal if you buy it. I wouldn't worry about that very much.

2-3) I thought that was a pretty high price too, but I just looked on Auto Trader and of all the 2005s they had listed around the country, actually that price didn't seem out of line with what was on there, especially with those low miles. I know used cars have gone up a lot the last few years, so maybe that isn't that bad. I would think you should be able to get 20% off the sticker though. Plus, you might be able to negotiate a warranty as part of the deal. Man, 5 years ago I bought my car for $14,400 with 42K miles and it was still under warranty. I see some cars on there now with that many miles and they are almost that same price.

By 2005 these cars were pretty much sorted out, so if they can show you it had regular maintenance you should have a pretty reliable car. Any usual issues these cars face as relatively few and fairly simple to take care of. Surf a lot around here to familiarize yourself with what can come up. Plus, if anything goes wrong, either it has been discussed on here and a fix was found. People here will help you. I say if the car checks out and you can negotiate a little it might be a decent buy with what used cars are going for now. One thing that does seem weird to me is that a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer is selling it and they didn't bother to detail it properly. That seems unheard of to me at a dealer. Maybe they just took it in and haven't had a chance to clean it properly. Plus, that should be one more thing you should be able to negotiate as part of the deal.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

ilcavallo, as for the back seat, odds are, it is simply that someone removed the back seat and didn't get one of the hooks properly set, so, there is nothing holding the center of the seat down. It can be a bear to get all the hooks redone if you pull the back seat out.

As for what you should pay for the car, I would say to use NADA and KBB as a general guide as to what you should be able to get the car for. Granted, it is also up to the buyer as to how badly they want the car. If you are getting the car just to have, then their price tag is way to high and odds are what you are willing to pay for the car will be lower than the KBB/NADA prices. But, if the car is your dream car and it is a MUST HAVE, then the price maybe just worth it.

Personally, from the sounds of things, I would walk in to the dealership, offer them say $7,000 and if they start giving you any other story than SOLD, you say "thanks, but I know of another vehicle just up the road, have a nice day". Give them maybe another minute or two to made a final "sold" statement. But, if they don't, then walk away. There are other X-Types out there, you can find another for a much better price.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

I see them all over ebay for less then that with the same amount of miles. They are a jag dealer so I am sure they will stick to the price. I would shop around. See what else is around. But like Thermo said, If its a must have then get it and enjoy.

Good luck,
The Dr!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM

thanks guys - good info on pricing and regarding the rear seat. glad to know that's not an issue.

i'm pretty close to making them an offer of maybe $8-9k, contingent on my mechanic looking it over well and making sure nothing is out of sorts.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Yeah..the backseat maybe nothing to it..BUT!..I would ask myself, Why did someone in the past want to remove the back Seat?....Typically one would think to go there to see if there is an access plate to the fuel tank/and it's connections (there isn't any)...These are red flags for me..So make sure the fuel gauge reads proper..this has been a problem in the past with these cars and the only way to fix it, is to drop the tank and that is labor intensive and expensive....I Hope I'm wrong.

I sincerely wish you good luck..

Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

I would think it would be more typical for someone to remove the seat bottom trying to get into the trunk if they locked their keys in it.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I would think it would be more typical for someone to remove the seat bottom trying to get into the trunk if they locked their keys in it.
That's also a possiblity..But the release for the back seats is only accessible from the trunk..

Alfadude..Where in Brewer town do you live?..I use to live on Wells ave..a block or two east of the Miller Brewery..Born and raised in New Berlin.

Last edited by DPK; 09-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

I live on the south side, about 5 minutes south of Miller Park. I work on 50th & State though.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM

went back for a 2nd viewing. back seat is not an issue. checked the outward parts of the bottom cushion, towards the rear doors, and they are secured tightly. it's just the middle that was a little loose, and i reached under there and couldn't find anywhere a clip/connector would be. i assume this is just the way it is.

rear tires were pretty worn down. dude said that wouldn't likely pass safety inspection in order to be sold. said they needed to run it through inspection and make any necessary changes. also said $10,900 was likely bottom dollar.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

I would pass on that car then and do some more looking. You can find just as nice of cars for cheaper.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Where are you located? The X-Type I traded for my S-Type 4.2 is still
for sale in northern NJ:

2005 Jaguar X-Type Used Cars for Sale in South Hackensack New Jersey - NJ.com

I can tell you pretty much everything there is to know about that car
if you're interested.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 AM

thermo - thanks for the advice. no way would i pay more than $10k for this car, and that's only IF they put new tires on it and detail the hell out of it so that i literally have nothing to do to it.

pab - unfortunately i'm in NC, so not terribly convenient to your old car. appreciate the thought though. on a side note - how do you like your S-type? especially in comparison to the X-type? any thoughts would be great.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Ilcavallo,
Thermo (Chris is spot-on), I have had 3 X Types and the 3rd is the one I drive now and I am not mechanically gifted as Chris is and I cannot recommend his view enough! The 2.5 Sport I have is a Lovely car but I have endured to make it better as it has had a fair amount of wear and tear. No warranty is a sign that once you drive off there is no accountability and I fear for your wallet. If the price is too high in your area or if you desparately need A CAR? I would take a back seat on the wish list and get a "run around" to tide you over until you get the car YOU REALLY WANT.
The X Type is a Great Car, but you have the choice as buyer so I'd kinda take my time if I were you!
However, on the plus side, I had a job interview today and the interviewing manager followed me out to the car park and stopped for breath...staring at my car...
The interview went well and I was offered the position, but I actually felt a lot better when he said.... "Wow, Nice car!"
Hang in there and if you have to wait... it'll be worth it, believe me!
Best regards, and Good Luck in anticipation of YOUR JAGUAR!

Long Live the Good Days and Godspeed the Dream! Stu

Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>how do you like your S-type? especially in comparison to the X-type? any thoughts would be great.

It's fine, somewhat up-market from the X (better leather and more of it, rear window sun shield, 300hp V8... ;-). Not much bigger inside (trunk is narrower), will miss the AWD in the winter and my X had the winter package with heated windshield that my S-Type lacks. The S is also heavier than the X and feels it. It does look very classy though.

However, there are fewer of them around which makes it a little more "interesting" than the X (and I don't get the snide comments about it really being a FORD). Did I mention the 300hp V8?

I miss the X but a newer (V8... ;-) S with 2/3 the mileage (and a Jaguar Select warranty until next spring) was too hard to pass up.

But I wouldn't really recommend exchanging an X-Type for an S-Type if your X is well sorted out and the S had higher mileage. I certainly wouldn't recommend an S-Type 3.0
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (09-06-2013)