X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member that need help and advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member that need help and advice

Hello everyone. Im Labspeed owner of 2004 x-type 3.0 AWD with 35,000 miles. Im so glad that there is a Jaguar forum that shares ideas and help each others. By reading some of the threads regarding x-type problems and solution. It helps me a lot by fixing it myself and saves me a lot of money. My Jag is my wifes car and she only used it occasionally because we have two vehicles and I am always deployed to Persian gulf most of the time. Three weeks ago while driving the Jag it suddenly lost its power while I was driving in the freeway. It was so scary because I lost power while I am in the fast lane going uphill. Theres no check engine light warning before it happens. I have a full tank gas. Everytime I tried to start the engine looks like wants to start but will not start. I also like to thank the San Diego HYPD for helping me out of the danger zone and push my car to the safe zone. I tried to start the engine again. The engine will start for at least 10 seconds and dies. until it will not start anymore. I called my mechanic friend to check the car. The reading is P0191 and looks like I have a problem with fuel. Then I went to this forum for a research and you guys were awesome for giving advice. We check all the fuses and relays and they were all fine. I even changed the fuel filter. Still the car will not start. So we check the fuel pump. Looks like the fuel pump is bad so I decided to change the fuel pump. I and the help of my friend mechanic followed some of this forum adviced and it was very helpful. We already got the fuel tank out of the car and ready to put a new pump. Now we have a new problem. The problem is we need a special tools just to unlock the fuel tank locking rings. It is the 310-072A tools. I check the price for this tools and it cost like $200 plus. My question is did some of you guys unlock the fuel tank with other tools besides the 310-072A or even used a universal wrench to unlock the fuel pump. Please advised

Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum Labspeed,

A forum search shows few have been unfortunate enough to have had to replace fuel pumps. From the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin), it looks to be a major piece of work removing the fuel tank to get to the pump.

This drawing of the Service Tool 310-072A and the pump retaining ring may prompt some suggestions for an alternative removal method:

New member that need help and advice-x-type-fuel-pump.jpg

How to approach this depends on whether it just rotates to release or has to be depressed and rotated at the same time.

Hopefully one of the Techs will jump in here and advise.

Graham

Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Labspeed, first off, welcome to the forums. As I am sure you have found out, we are a wealth of knowledge here. We like to pride ourselves in our friendly, helpful nature. But, we do ask two things in return. The first is easy in that when you learn something, be willing to help out others. The other is to stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself. We are quirky in that we like to get to know one another. Besides, that will also give you a chance to get to know who the movers and shakers are around here. Besides, you might get a few friendly surprises too.

As for your problem. I have had to remove that ring off of a few other vehicles. What I use is a square piece of wood (I found the wood handle to a small wire brush seems to work great) and a small hammer. From there, you put the wood perpendicular to the ring at one of the notches and tap on the wood and the ring will work its way off. Don't go King Kong on it, but you will find that after a few taps that move the ring, it will spin right off using your hand. You do the same thing when putting it on. Spin it on by hand and then use the wood to tap the ring into place. You will hear the sound change as the ring gets tight. Stop. Else you risk damaging the ring as you can only hit it but so hard.

The following users liked this post:
Labspeed (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 AM

Thermo, Thank you very much for your adviced. I will try it today. I will also introduce myself to the new member area today. plus I wil share to the group step by step and in detail how I removed my gas tank once I replace my fuel pump. Thanks again Thermo.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 AM

Thermo, I finally made it and replace my fuel pump and now my cat is running again. I followed your adviced but its to hard to move the lock. Then Jaguar tech here in San Diego gave me a tip how to unlock the fuel pump if I dont have the special tools. All I did is spray wd 40 on hole on top of the lock ring and let it soak for at least 5minutes so it can lubricate the oring or seal. Then I used a very dull chisel and rubber hammer and tap the side of the lock ring gently. All you need is one tap and the ring loosen up. Wow that was so easy. No need to buy the $200 plus special tools. Fuel pump changing is really a challenge, theres a lot of parts need to be move out before you can take out the gas tank. I will write it down in my next thread so people can do it by themselves.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Labspeed, good to hear that you got it changed. I have fought with a few other Ford gas tanks. They are all constructed about the same.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM

I changed my fuelpump without removing the tank.
Just cut the round hole bigger (2cuts) so you can remove the pump.
After the fine job of replacing the part bend the "flap" back in place.
Replace rubber seal and use ducktape to seal the 2cuts against gas fumes.
Its a 30 min job and all happens under the back seat so no one needs to know!
Keeping in mind de lovely cat will not run for ever and ever...

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that I doubt the veracity of this post about fuel pump access through floor under rear seat, but has anyone else ever done this? I have a problem of some kind on the upper surface of my tank causing a leak but the car is running with normal fuel pressure. Thank you. --Tom

Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Search this list this has been discussed a number of times in the last couple of years. The biggest problem that I recall is the danger of punching through the top of the tank when trying to cut through the floor pan under the rear seat. Mucho problems if you do...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons