X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Need Help Please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Need Help Please...

I'm Brady new to this site and just purchased my first Jaguar. I got a great deal on it due to a couple issues that I thought were minor then one I didn't know about. One is my glove box latch is broke and don't know how to get the glove box open to see if the manual is in there and also to replace it. Second is my Abs light is not on however when I go to stop it feels like something is wrong with the ABS. I was going to take the fuse out but have no idea which fuse it is. and third I did not know it had an electrical issue. My right back turn signal stays on and my right front headlight is very dim, I put a new bulb in so it must be related to the rear. If anyone can help me with any of this or point me in the right way would be greatly appreciated.

Part two what are the two middle lights next to the headlights, mine are a very dim orange looking light is this what they are supposed to be?

Old 10-02-2014, 05:10 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Hi Brady, If you have not already done so I suggest you head over to the new members section and do an intro about you and your car, also it is well worth selecting the CP button on the top right of any page here and updating your signature with your car details to help ensure you get the right advice.
I am sorry to hear that you have got so many issues with your new purchase. My very first thought to be honest would be your battery and especially the earth lead - this is the lead that goes from your battery to the chassis of the car - these two things can cause a number of the issues you have and are easy to check..

Old 10-02-2014, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

bknox, your headlight issue is most likely in the passenger side connector. Your high beams (on drawings will be called main beam) are being backfed due to a ground wire issue with the connector. What you will need to do is to remove the headlight and then do a search for the ground wire (a bolt directly under the headlight) and make sure that you have good connection. After that, you are most likely looking at a connector issue (corroded pins). If you want a wiring diagram to help you out, let me know.

As for your rear tail light, I would start with pulling the plug for the tail light and seeing what the pins look like back there. I bet you will find that one of the pins is going to have heat damage. BUt, I am making some assumptions here. If this is the case, let me know and we will see what we can do for you. Might have a few options for you.

Pictures will be worth a 1000 words.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

bknox: As Thermo notes, the headlights on our X-Types can have poor electrical connections, and can even melt wires and plugs if poor connections overheat.

In the thread below, scroll to the last page to see pictures of a headlight bulb modified to improve the connections. It may be overkill, but I find the bulbs last longer with better connections.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fo-2923/page4/

One caveat: Minimize touching the glass part of the bulb, and wipe it clean with a dry cloth before installing it. Finger oil, dirt and dust on the glass can cause a hot spot that shorten the bulb's life.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the help. I found the electrical issue a ground wasn't screwed in behind the headlight. Now I have to figure out the brakes.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

knox, like I mentioned, pull the connector off of the taillight in question and look at the pins. I bet you will find some heat damage on the second pin in on the connector.