X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW OWNER, FIRST CAR 2003 X-TYPE. How should i begin with making it run perfect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW OWNER, FIRST CAR 2003 X-TYPE. How should i begin with making it run perfect?

Like the title informs, just purchased this beauty and am looking for advice on how to perform maintenance under the hood and what products/brands are best for the tune up/fluids.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:59 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

How many miles on your car, and what kind of maintenance history came with it? Automatic transmission or manual? This an AWD car? For starters, send an email to forum sponsor SNG Barratt requesting a copy of their parts catalog. It's a great reference to help you learn Jaguar parts layout, etc. There are many X-Type DIY videos on YouTube; some very good, others so-so. To begin on this car I'd start with getting the battery tested. What kind of DIY work are you comfortable doing? As for fluids, I've been using AMSOIL for twenty years, and am convinced they're the best. Call or text me 682-465-6957 and I'll tell you how to get them.

Attached Thumbnails NEW OWNER, FIRST CAR 2003 X-TYPE. How should i begin with making it run perfect?-fluids1.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 12:45 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats on your excellent taste in an automobile, and welcome to the forum!

May I recommend you simply start out reading every post, all zillion of them, if you can. If that is not something you care to do, then may I recommend you use the "Search" function and enter some broad terms like "Best Oil", "Best Transmission Fluid", "Best Tires", and the like, just to read the various discussions and get some good ideas.

There is not a single part on your car that has not been discussed - usually at great length - on this forum. Every once in a while someone will send a photo of an obscure part and ask "what the heck is this thing???". The answer is usually given in under a day.

There is not a single problem with your new car that the solution cannot be found here.

My very best advice would be to not necessarily read by parts or units of the car, but by the author. There is no question whatsoever that the single most knowledgeable person in this sub-forum (X-Type) is Thermo. He is rarely incorrect (read: never), and has posted extensively on every aspect of the X-Type.

Just start reading his posts, and you will know more than most every Factory-authorized and trained Journey-level Jaguar Mechanic/Technician in the world by the time you finish. For starters, I would recommend you search for "vacuum leak" and start there with Thermo's posts (if you don't have a vacuum leak yet, you will: and it will scare the bejeezus out of you when it happens because the car goes into something called "limp mode"). Thermo will walk you though every single inch of what and where to look, and how to fix the problem before you even have it.

And he has done that for most every part, unit and assembly of your car already. You can find most every question you may have already answered, by using the "Search" function and starting with his posts. If he has not posted an answer, it is because someone else answered equally as elegant as he would or could have.

Oh, and when you get a "Check Engine" light and code(s), don't get too excited or worried and take the car to an expensive shop - the solution is usually easy and quite inexpensive, and found in this very forum.

Again, welcome!

(now, go spend $30 on ebay and get a chrome mesh grille for that 2003 and update it - make it look like a 2009, no one will know!)