X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TCM need reflashing after tranny rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TCM need reflashing after tranny rebuild?

This is a continuing saga. 2004 X-Type 3.0L. I last posted at the end of March concerning a gearbox fault that was diagnosed as a faulty TCM. After after having Jag dealer replace the TCM, the road test revealed that the tranny was now banging as it shifted into 2, 3 and 4. Dealer wanted $8500 to replace the tranny, but I opted to have it repaired.
Had AAMCO rebuild it and the tranny worked flawlessly on an 1100 mile drive home. Car has sat in gararge unused for weeks, since. Wife took it to visit friends and called me concerning strange noises coming from under the hood (ok, bonnet).
I went over and took the car for a test drive and it slipped then banged on the first shift and every subsequent shift until it reached 4th gear. The same thing at every traffic light. It then began to slip in and out of gear rapidly several times (as if it was pulsing) as I accelerated from a light. Just made it into local AAMCO when it completely failed (no forward or reverse). Shut it off, restarted, it went into 1st gear then it went back to slipping in 1st, but at least I got it into the driveway.
My question, should the new TCM have been reflashed once the tranny was rebuilt? The TCM's first contact with the tranny was when the tranny needed to be rebuilt, so wouldn't that have "taught" the TCM how to shift based on a slipping condition?
If reflashing is necessary, is a Jaguar dealer the only place with the equipment to do it?
Thanks for any advise, I do appreciate the time you take helping other Jaguar enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

We puirchased a used (different) auto tranny to rebuild and put in our 2002 2.5 by an independent shop. It did not require any ECM reflash - that is something the shop would not have been able to do anyway.

I would be down at the local AAMCO hollering as loud as I can if I were you.

Also, did they flush out the torque converter and transmission oil cooler? There are more than a couple of quarts of old fluid in those, enough to have crapped out the rebuild if it wasn't done.

(The mechanic who rebuild ours insisted he replace the oil cooler, that he didn't trust it to clean out completely. He also insisted on using only the Jag Tranny Fluid [aka "Liquid Gold"]).

In return, he gave us a 5 Year / 100,000 Miles Warranty.

Just for starters, ask AAMCO if the fluid they put in it met the Jag specifications (read around the forum here, you'll find very few do). Right there may be enough leverage to get the work re-done and done right.

Best 'o luck!

The following users liked this post:
Timboy (08-12-2012)