X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Gear Connection

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Reverse Gear Connection

I'm installing a new stereo (Pioneer Appradio) and I've got all the connections done except one.

In order for the head unit to detect when the car has been put in reverse gear (so that the backup camera switches on) I need to connect one wire to a lead that changes voltage when the reverse gear is engaged.

I can't find any such lead. Can anyone help?

I'm currently poring over electrical diagrams for the '03 X-Type, but these diagrams are killing my head. :-(

--
Bond

Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Bond, the easiest place to get what you are looking for is to tap off of fuse F79 in the passenger compartment fuse box. This is the fuse that powers the backup lights. This gets 12 VDC when the car is in Reverse. If you want/need another place, let me know and I will assist some more. For reference, you would be looking for a green/black wire coming out of the fuse box, running along the driver's side of the car to the rear of the car. Just keep in mind that not every green/black wire is the one you are looking. Look at Figure 08.3. That has the information that you are looking for.

The following users liked this post:
nycxtype (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Thermo,
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the info.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tap off fuse 79". I'm looking at the fuse now and hunting for this green/black wire. When I find this wire, I'm guessing you're suggesting I just splice my camera control wire into it?

I looked at Fig. 08.3 but I can't read schematics, so looking at the figure just makes my eyes bleed. :-(

Thank you again for your assistance. I'll buy you a beer (or six) if I can. :-)
--
Bond

Old 02-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

bahnjee, if you go to the auto parts store, they sell a little clip that will have a U on one end and the other end will have what looks like a spade terminal to it. You slide this piece over the prong of a fuse and this will give you a point to tap electricity off of. They are very small, so, you need to look closely in the wiring section of the parts store. Looking online, if you go to an Advance Auto store (or Kragen, Shucks, they are all owned by the same company), look for what are called fuse taps. They are like $7, they are a fuse with a wire coming off of the side of the fuse. Get the same current rating as what is in there now and you will have the power you need.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
docmo (08-08-2012), nycxtype (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Default Awesome!

I was hoping you'd say something like that! I mean, I was hoping for an easy solution. :-)

Soon as I get this car back to a drivable state, I'll head to Advanced Auto.

I'm serious about the beer too. I'm in upstate SC, if there's any way I can repay you, I'd be happy to.

Thank you again. These Jag forums are awesome and so are you!

--
Bond

Old 02-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Thermo....I have the same problem. I have an ECLIPSE head unit and can't figure out how to connect a back up camera...that's why I've been holding off on buying the proprietary Eclipse backup cam that costs $250!!
I thought that typically these back up cams connect to maybe the back up lights in the trunk. I took one look at the X Type tail light connections and I pretty much gave up on that idea! Our back up light internals look like a computer motherboard!!
So, Thermo, please correct me if I'm wrong here...connect the camera wire to this fuse with the wire sticking out on the interior fusebox fuse number F79 with the same amp rating and I'm good? I mean just take out the existing fuse (F79) replace it with the fuse with the wire and connect my cam wire to that?
Sorry if I sound stupid, it just sounds too simple. It sounds like I can just take a little wire and stick it on the fuse that's in 79 and connect the backup camera to it?! Am I way off here? sorry...

Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

NYCtype, yes, you can technically do what you are thinking and shove a wire down in with the fuse. The problem is that this stretches out the fuse holder and it can lead to lots of problems in the future. Where the piece I show is all going in addition too and it is rising the new wire up above everything else in the fuse box.

Bahnjee, all that I ask in return is one of 2 things (scared?). 1) Envoke the "Pay It Forward" concept. You have been helped, find someone else that needs a little something and help them out, only asking them to "Pay It Forward". Or 2), find someone online here and help them out. Again, tell them to "Pay It Forward".

nycxtype (02-07-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 PM

I'll do my best to pay it forward. Thanks much for your info. I was able to get the fuse tap and make the connection. In addition, with your tip that the wire is Grn/Blk, I was able to tap into the backup lights in order to power the camera.

This was my first install of such a 'robust' car stereo and I'm proud to say that after all the connections were made, everything worked right off the bat with no further fiddling required. (By "everything," I mean the radio, all four speakers, the iPhone, the GPS, the bluetooth to the phone and the backup camera). I'm right proud of myself and will post some before/after pix soon.

My wife thought I was insane for dissassembling the Jag as much as I did (most of the trim on the driver's side, the upper console, the back seat, the trunk and of course, the dash looked like there'd been an explosion at the spaghetti factory!).

Thanks again for your quick and oh-so-helpful information, Thermo.

--
Bond

Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 PM

NYCXtype,an
Connecting to the backup lights ought to be pretty simple. First, test the voltage jump on each wire leading to the lamp assembly at the rear of the car. Have a friend/wife/dog put the car into and out of reverse while you use a voltmeter looking for a jump in voltage. (I was lucky in that Thermo saved me the searching.)

Once you've located the positive lead (ground should be common to all lights and be a black wire), use a T-Tap (or better still, if you're handy with a soldering iron, do a more secure Western Union joint) to tap into both the positive and ground (negative) leads.

If you're not familiar with T-Taps or Western Union joints, ask Mr. Google. He knows everything ! :-)

--
Bond

nycxtype (02-07-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 2008 X-Type

If anyone is looking for the fuse on a 2008 X-Type, it's F2. I used the technique as described with that fuse and my Kenwood DNX9990HD does the automatic switch on reverse. Yay!