X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tranny limp mode

Old 12-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tranny limp mode

Just bought a 2001 X-type 3.0 with a bad tranny since I had a rebuilt tranny in the garage from when the engine went in my last Jag. My husband put the new tranny in and it's still in limp mode with all the tranny codes now. It did just have a gear box fault when we bought it. How can we reset the computer to read the new tranny. The battery was out the whole time he worked on it so I didn't think that would work.
TIA

Old 12-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag tech

Talked to a Jag tech they said it has to be flashed at the dealership $380
There must be a better way...

Old 12-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Jagmom, well, there is, but at the same time, it is not a cheap alternative either. If you look around, there are diagnostic tools out there that you can plug into a laptop (OBDii port on one end, USB on the other) that allows you to get into the computer and reflash stuff yourself. It requires a special program (called SSD). If you do some looking here, you will find a lot of posts on it and what versions work and what are a pain to work with. But, once you get that program, you can reflash the tranny yourself and have a computer that if you need to tweak anything, can do that too. This level of access can be a good thing, but can also be just as dangerous as you have access to EVERYTHING!!!!! So, if you start tweaking the shift points, engine parameters, etc, you can put things into a detrimental condition and cause other issues. Keep things simple and you can get a lot of stuff done for very cheap. This will still probably set you back about $200.