X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type Valve Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type Valve Clearance

Does any one know the recommended interval to for a valve clearance inspection? I have a 2003 x-type with a 2.5L and 102,000 miles. I’m changing my plugs next week and thought it mite be a good time to check the valve Clarence.

Last edited by pmcnic; 03-06-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Never no adjustment necessary.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Never might be a bit of a exaggeration.
I checked mine when I was at 160 000km. ( about the same as you are at) and the clearance was within spec. I will re-check this spring when I do some other stuff that is due. I am at 266 000km now

Presumably there will be a point when the clearances will get tigher or looses, but it is quite amazing that for non-hydraulic adjusters, there is so little wear.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 AM

You can check it all you want but there is no method to adjust them short of replacing valve train parts.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned

the adjustment is done by replacing the shims.. common enough system.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by JagXV6
You can check it all you want but there is no method to adjust them short of replacing valve train parts.
I know how to adjust the valve clearance its shim and bucket very common on OHC (over head Cam) engines. You may want to read up on checking and adjust valve on OHC engines before you post never need to be checked and not adjustable, somebody may believe you.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by pmcnic
I know how to adjust the valve clearance its shim and bucket very common on OHC (over head Cam) engines. You may want to read up on checking and adjust valve on OHC engines before you post never need to be checked and not adjustable, somebody may believe you.
Wow, 4 post and you are already shooting off your mouth-you
will last long here. Do a search and you will see that very respected
member here named "Jag genius" gave the same answer as I
two years ago. He is a certified Jag tech. Thanks for filling us in
on your extensive Jag knowledge!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

simmer down, they are adjustable..... with shims, the part numbers exist for all the shim sizes.

Thankfully they dont seem to need any adjustment during the warranty period. JG would not see much use for adjusting them at his dealership. What we dont know is how long the valvetrain will say within spec, and whether or not they will eventualy become tighter or looser?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was at the dealer the only time we would adjust them if we did any engine work or if they would make nose on the old XJ40s. If the engine is not noisy and it runs good they do not need to be checked. I have seen a x-type run rough because the valves were to tight.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcnic
Does any one know the recommended interval to for a valve Clarence inspection?......
I don't think Clarence would appreciate that!
As other posters have told you, it's a bucket and shim assembly....no inspection necessary. If it's noisy, change parts. You might want to jump on Ebay and grab a JTIS CD.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by dana0330
When I was at the dealer the only time we would adjust them if we did any engine work or if they would make nose on the old XJ40s. If the engine is not noisy and it runs good they do not need to be checked. I have seen a x-type run rough because the valves were to tight.
“I have seen an x-type run rough because the valves were too tight.”

With a shim and bucket valve train, tight valve are typically the problem the valve seats and valve wear and cause the clearance to reduce, although this is minimized with harden valve seats. If the valve clearance gets too low “0” the valves don’t seat and can burn.
Cam lob wear and shim wear would cause excessive clearance.

My question was what interval does jaguar recommend a valve clearance inspection / adjustment also what is the clearance spec I am having a hard time finding the spec in my JTIS

Last edited by pmcnic; 03-06-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by PreJag
I don't think Clarence would appreciate that!
As other posters have told you, it's a bucket and shim assembly....no inspection necessary. If it's noisy, change parts. You might want to jump on Ebay and grab a JTIS CD.
Thanks for the reply

My question was what interval does jaguar recommend a valve clearance inspection / adjustment also what is the clearance spec I am having a hard time finding the spec in my JTIS

Also Noise is not the only issue to worry about on a mechanical valve train as dana0330 posted “I have seen an x-type run rough because the valves were too tight.”

With a shim and bucket valve train, tight valve are typically the problem the valve seats and valve wear and cause the clearance to reduce, although this is minimized with harden valve seats. If the valve clearance gets too low “0” the valves don’t seat and can burn at that point it’s too late for adjustments.
Cam lob wear and shim wear would cause excessive clearance

Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by JagXV6
Wow, 4 post and you are already shooting off your mouth-you
will last long here. Do a search and you will see that very respected
member here named "Jag genius" gave the same answer as I
two years ago. He is a certified Jag tech. Thanks for filling us in
on your extensive Jag knowledge!

Sorry did not mean to ruffle your feathers. But I do not agree with “Jag genius” how could I contact him? All good mechanics including myself (ASE certified, BSME, 10 years in Detroit with GM then Krupp Automotive we developed the camshafts for the Ford Duratec engine in the 90’s) know that mechanical valves trains need to be inspected periodically and possibly adjusted. The procedure is in the JTIS but it does not state the frequency. Perhaps the never needs adjusting is something jaguar is touting like the sealed for life Transmission and Transfer case. I’m not drinking that cool aid.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Default Good info on Shims

I remove covers to change the VVT Solenoid, found 1/4in of caked on oil. First thought was to change shims. 86d that ideal after reading the post.Question what's the best way to clean the carbon off the A couple dark cam lobes without head job???