X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New X Type - minor problems

Old 10-25-2015, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New X Type - minor problems

Hi Guys

I've just picked up a 2004 X Type SE 2.5 AWD - it's a lovely car in great condition, only 75k miles and been well looked after. I've had it just over a week and I'm quite particular about cars being "right" - so I've got a small list of the things that need sorting, just wanted to run them past the experts to make sure I'm on the right track. Any thoughts on the below would be good

1 - Air con doesn't work, light comes on and compressor engages but doesn't get cold and the car mists up more than I'd expect. Assuming just a regas is needed, but any other common issues on these?
2 - Oil around the sump, it's not dripping but it's just a bit damp. Have read a lot about the sump gasket, assume it's that and not worth the time to sort it?
3 - This one is a bit weird, sometimes (not often) when I stop the car, there's a loud buzzing/rapid clicking noise coming from the front of the car. It goes on for about a minute then stops. It's much louder than I'd expect from anything normal, seems to be from the front of the engine bay, possibly towards the left hand side but really hard to tell. Have a hunch that it's to do with the air con so I'm making sure to run it with the A/C off to see if it happens again. Anything else this could be?
4 - Sometimes, normally when warmer, there's a bit of a whine from the engine. Happens in neutral so it's not drivetrain, sounds like a supercharger bit quieter. Guessing it's just a tensioner or bearing or something, possibly alternator... Any ideas for narrowing it down?
5 - Bit of noise from the PAS, quiet squealing when maneuvering - have read about additive oil that sorts this but can't find good instructions. Should I just chuck it in or is there more to it? Could the PAS pump be the cause of number 4?

Thanks for any pointers!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

#1- Not sure about the air con but i will say in my car it is the best of any car i have owned . While in florida this august the kids were whining in the back seat about they were freezing. The wife confirmed it was like an icebox. so i showed them the difference between hot and cold by turning off ac and locking open every window and sunroof. They valued the ice box after ten minutes of that

#2 - My 2006 has a leak at the valve cover. The under side is damp but it never drips. I took apart all of the components to get to the valve cover to inspect the spark plug holes. this is where the major problems arise as the oil will short the spark and cause misfire. Mine were bone dry however so i changed the plugs and put it all back together.The replacement valve cover gaskets are brand new in the box waiting till the day she drips

first thing i did when i got mine ( with 83,000 ) was to flush drain refill ALL fluids. The transfer case and transmission needed it badly

congrats on the new ride, i love mine

Old 10-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

IainD: Welcome to the Jaguar Forum. A lot of good folks here who enjoy helping each other with tips and tricks to keep our X-Types rolling smoothly down the road.

One suggestion so we can better help you: Tell us about yourself and your X-Type in your user profile and signature. On the top left of this screen, click on "User CP" (Control Panel). Then, on the left side of the screen, click on "Profile" / "Edit Your Profile" and scroll down to enter your location, your car description, etc. Click on "Settings and Options" / "Edit Signature" to describe your car "2004 X Type SE 2.5 AWD". That way, we'll all know what and where you're driving, and can offer better suggestions.

Regarding your 5 questions:

#1) Charge the A/C system with R134a Freon. It's a common maintenance need, and you'll find many 'how to' threads. This post has a picture of the Freon fill port at the tip of the screwdriver: AC recharge

#2) Oil dripping from the sump gasket is a common problem. It's messy, but not urgent. Keep an eye on the oil level - it's likely a very slow loss. But don't be surprised by an occasional whiff of burnt oil on the exhaust pipe under the engine. This forum has many posts with pictures of the repair, include the one oil sump bolt that's hard to access, and clever solutions.

For #3, #4 & #5, try this trick: To isolate an engine noise, get a ~2-3 foot length of slender ~1/2 inch PVC pipe, hold one end near your ear and very carefully hold the other and near or against noise source. Obviously be very careful around spinning pulleys, belts & fans.

#3) Possibly one of the engine cooling fans, the lower left one? Perhaps a bad fan bearing, or the fan blades hitting something? Try this: With the engine cold (e.g., in the morning), open the hood, start the engine with the A/C on, the passenger compartment fan to max, and the passenger temp to 'LO'. This should cause the engine compartment fans to run at high speed, creating a strong breeze. Listen for the clicking noise. Next, turn the A/C off, and the engine compartment fans should slow down. Did the clicking noise change? Is it coming from the engine fans, or the serpentine belt area?

#4) The noise could be a bad bearing on a serpentine belt pulley. Did the noise change when you turned the A/C on and off? The tension in the serpentine belt increases significantly with the A/C on.

#5) Does the noise change when you turn the steering wheel left & right while the car is stationary, which makes the power steering pump work harder, and puts more tension on the serpentine belt?

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.