Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New X-Type Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default New X-Type Owner

New to the X-Type Group.

I cruise the Jaguar adds keeping up with price trends and news because I already have a 2004 XK8 convertible. This past summer I had two long trips and drove her daily and am really enjoying that car. I never planned on driving her in the winter and with last weekend’s first snow I put her away for the winter and started driving the Dodge Mini-van again. It just isn’t the same.

And then there it was; an add on Kijiji, Jaguar 2004 X-Type128,000 km. AWD. New cross drilled rotors and pads, shock absorbers and tie rod ends. Need to sell due to a growing family. I don’t have a family at home any more and no more camping trips so don’t really need the van. Turns out both vehicles are about the same value in Kelly’s black book, so I emailed him want to trade?He does. We make the switch on Saturdayand after looking over this forum I find a lot of the same issues discussed as on the XK-8 forum so I feel pretty confident that this is a well maintained car. I had a 1987 Audi Quattro Turbo many years ago and have always missed the All-Wheel Drive so it looks like I am getting that luxury back.
I will be here I am sure asking a few questions but as I know from the XK-8 forum everyone will be great help.
Question, is it pretentious to have a Summer Jag and a Winter Jag?

Old 11-25-2015, 06:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

daro, welcome to the X-TYpe world. You will like the car. The big "problem" that you are going to have is that the X-Type is not going to perform like you XK. This can lead to issues if you do as the transfer case will not like you too much. But, you treat it like the good kitty that it is and it will be a very reliable car. If you have any questions, let us know. I am sure someone will be along momentarily to assist.

As for having 2 Jags, one for winter and one for summer, you would not be the first to do something like that. Every kitty has its personality and I can see where the XK would be more of a summer kitty. You will find that the X-TYpe is going to do you well in the winter. The "concern" that I have is whether you have an early 2004 (ie, made before April 2004) or a later one. An earlier one, then you will be golden. If it is a later one, you will need to see if the car is equipped with the DSC or not. The later cars had a different transfer case which was more of an "open differential" setup. So, while all 4 wheels get power, in adverse weather, if a single wheel looses traction, it will suck the power from the other 3 wheels. The DSC prevents this from happening. Something to be looking for.

The following users liked this post:
daro31 (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 06:53 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default I drive my cars like an old man.

Thanks for your reply and I am not looking for a speedster like the X-K8, I never like to strain mechanical things, maybe because I am an automotive engineer and I break car parts on purpose and measure things as they wear through thousands of cycles, I know that you can bend, chip and wear things made of metal fairly easily.