Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New X-Type: Scheduled Maintenance for Oil Changes and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New X-Type: Scheduled Maintenance for Oil Changes and Tires

Hi All!

I purchased a Jag yesterday; I am now the proud owner of an Ebony colored, 2005 X-Type 3.0 Sport with 18' Pirelli PZero low-profile tires. I've only had it one day, and I love it (hope this keeps up).

My car has been bought with 6,100 miles on it. I'm a little confused about when I should be taking the car in to get its oil changed. I have read some conflicting information.

1) On one hand, I hear people say that the car is good till 100,000 miles. After the car reaches 100,000 miles, I am to get my oil changed regularly (every 3k-10k miles, depending on what kind of oil is used and how I drive).

2) On the other hand, I have also read that I should be having scheduled maintenance at specific intervals throughout the lifetime of the car (e.g. at 7k miles, 20k miles, etc).

I'm not really sure which of the two ideas is correct. It's possible that I may have misinterpreted some of the information and the two sets of ideas are actually about different issues.

Can ya'all please clarify? How often and at how many miles should I be getting my oil changed? What kind of maintenance should I be doing at specific times? If this has been answered on this forum elsewhere, please point me to the right place.

Also, sortof along the same topic, how about maintenance on these specific types of tires? What are your opinions on when the tires should be replaced on 18' low profile Pirellis? 20k miles? 30k miles? (different people have different opinions). FYI, I don't really plan on pushing the car too hard. Going to be a safe and responsible driver (most of the time).

Your help and advice is appreciated. I read through several pages of old posts... I see there are many different personalities at this forum. Good stuff!

Thanks,
Happilute

Old 05-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New X-Type: Scheduled Maintenance for Oil Changes and Tires

Change the oil every 3000 miles. Rotate the ties every other oil change. Replace the tires when they are down to the wear marks or sooner if you feel neccessry.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (07-04-2013)
Old 05-26-2007, 08:42 AM

If you want to keep your warranty current it would be good to keep the scheduled maintenance current...You should have gotten a scheduled maintenance book with the vehicle...if not ask your local jag dealer for a schedule sheet...

Old 05-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

according to jaguar, the oil should be changed every 5000 miles, and i have attached the maintenance scheduel to this post. as far as the tires, rotate them with every oil change to get the longest life out of them. mileage will vary depending on your driving conditions, but you can look on sites such as www.tirerack.com and find your specific tire model to see what pirelli suggests as a treadlife.

[IMG]local://upfiles/552/AF30F07C2ACC406AB4CDAFE41CA5F0FE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Listen to Xtype750. That man knows what he's talking about. Engine oil is not meant to deal with more than 3K miles of heat and friction. Time is also a restriction. If oil has only been through 2K miles but it's been like 4 months, I'd change the oil. The Mobil Clean 5000, 10000, or 15000 sounds kind of iffy to me. I would use regular oil and change it like any other car. Extend the life of your car by treating it like you care about it. Air filter every other oil change, and oil filter along with oil every 3K miles, and the tires I would also rotate them every other oil change. Take a penny. If you face lincoln upside down, and you can see lincoln's head, then it's time to consider a tire change.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Nineball,its not 5000 its 10000 even on your sheet.
Here is a larger version:-

Old 05-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Unless you use a full synthetic change it every 5000-7500 miles or every 6 months whichever comes first .I was chancing it every 3000 miles in my 3.6 engine but it was a different story

Old 05-26-2007, 01:31 PM

buck, that is just a page i found somewhere online, and is only meant to be used as a guidline. i really don't think you believe that oil can be used for 10k miles before you change it. during my last service (30k) i asked the service manager this exact question, based on what the manual said. they told me that those are the schedueled service times for factory service to be performed by a dealer. this has nothing to do with personal maintenence that should be performed by the vehicle owner. do you only check the air pressure in your tires once every 10k miles too? more than likely not, but if you go by what the chart says that is when to do it, since it only lists 10k intervals. routine maintenence is just that - routine, and should be performed as needed by the owner.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Asked this question today when I visited a local dealer.The oil is changed at 10k.Betweenthe services (once a week) not only do I check the air in the tyres but also brake fluid/coolant AND ENGINE OIL and top up with Magnetec 5W-30 as used by the dealersif neccessary.This isthe oil yet other Jag dealers that I have contacted over here use andwasrecommended andused at my 70kservice the other week by an approved Jag trained technician ata dealership.According to my handbook Jaguar does not recommend the use of synthetic engine oils in the V6 engine and as they are quite a big company I will tend to stick with what they say as Im sure they know more about this than us.If you go to Castrols own website at http://www.ew2.lubesinfo.com/framese...6&langid=1and enter the details of my car (ie 3.0 Sport X type) it brings up the recommendations for lubricants for the car and guess what it recommends Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 as the oil to use (thus backing up what it says in the handbook NOT to use synthetic oil.
If the Jag was not normally aspirated then yes I would change the oil every 3 or 4k due to the extreme heat it would get to with the turbo thus breaking the oil down quicker.But it isnt so why change it every 3,4,or even 5k.Not worth wasting time money and effort on when 10k is recommended by Jag.The maintenece sheet is a copy of the same one on the JTIS for my 2002 3.0 which also has 10k intervals for changing the oil.There is a difference between changing and checking the oil which liek I say i do once a week..

Old 05-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I guess 10K sounds pretty convincing. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to do it every 3K miles, but it sounds like Jag knows what they talk about. I honestly don't trust it, so I'll change the oil like I'm used to, and the guy who owned the car before I did changed it every 3K miles. I don't mind spending 30 bucks once every 4 months. My car has 98K miles and no problems. I wonder if oil changes every 10K miles is the reason why our cars sell so cheap? Oil is not meant to take 10K miles of friction.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Obviously not convincing enough,right Bigdreams? otherwise you wouldnt still waste your time changing it more than is neccessary IMO.
Read the warning (in red at the start) here from the man himself Steve Hannes:-
http://jagmotorproject.blogspot.com/...al-fluids.html
Here he says:-"The fluids used in the Jaguar X-Type are a new generation "extended life", "long life" or "sealed for life" fluids. Be VERY careful replacing any of these fluids with traditional natural petroleum or synthetic products."
This seems to back up somewhat about the long service interval between fluid changes..
Talking of long service intervals my father who has retired as a Chief Engineer in the merchant navy (after 30+ years) has a Vauhall (GM)Zafira 2.0 TDi and the service interval in that says 20k between oil changes but he doesnt leave it that long and gets it changed every 10k too.
Why dont you do trustwhatJag says and who says the latest generation of oil recommended for the X type isnt meant to take 10k of use?Its not a turbo engine afterall is it?

Old 05-26-2007, 06:22 PM

to each his own. oil is as touchy a subject as tire choice. since my local dealer is performing the services on my car and they say 5k, and they are responsible for anything that breaks or fails due to an oil-related problem for the next 70ki will go with 5k. i personally would rather do 3k, but i will go with 5k. 10k is out of the question. ihave never heard of a dino oil claiming to last 10k per change.

btw buck, i dunno if you read it or not, but the castrol site says that magnatec 5w-30 is a synth, so that seems to beopposite what the manual says. taken from their description:

Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30 has been synthetically engineered to provide enhanced protection for modern vehicles. Every time you start your car it takes 10 minutes for the oil to work effectively because the oil cannot protect properly until it reaches a critical temperature. GTX Magnatec 5W-30 is different as it contains a unique synthetic ester that clings to the engine surfaces like a magnet, so it protects your engine from the moment you turn the key

now i don't claim to be an oil expert by any means, but i can read the word synthetic

Old 05-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Looking at this site http://www.carbibles.com/additives.htmlit looks as though chemists synthesized the oil to create ionization to give the magnetic characteristics to the oil so that it does what it claims and sticks to the magnetic parts of the engine when the engine isnt running.I'll look ino this with castrol...

Old 05-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Seems my handbook is out of date re not using synthetic oil.After contacting Jaguar here is their response:-
"Thank you for contacting Jaguar Cars

Further to your enquiry.

Having been advised by our Technical Team the reasons for not using fully
synthetic oil is that years ago
fully synthetic oil would cause damage to the oil seals. This is no longer
the case,
mixing semi and fully synthetic oil will not cause any damage.

We do not recommend Semi or Fully. Both are equally as good as each other.

Thank you once again for contacting Jaguar Cars."

Old 05-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, about this this since i see you all are very passionate about changing your oils and rotating tires.....
Instead of killing each other over it, how about you all change your oil whenever you feel like it???

What do you each think is the right interval??? Than do it.
Your momma don't have to tell you what to do anymore.....

;-)

Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 AM

I'd stick to the Jag recommended oil then it is once a year or 10,000 miles. As for tyresI had Pzeros on 17" wheels and did not even get 10,000 miles out of them. Great tyres but at £500 pretty expensive to be changing in under a year.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  4.7 KB

Nice point racer............everybodys different and has different opinions and beliefs......do what you feel is right for you!
Obviously after asking everybody else's opinion, checking the handbook, surfing the web for info and calling Jaguar helpline......lol
Ie - make an informed decision

Jim C

Old 05-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  4.7 KB

Me personally?
I pretty much go with the OEM's reccomendations, but as I said, everybodys entitled to their own views, whether you / we / think they're wrong or not.

JC

Old 06-02-2007, 07:13 AM

OK.

So I'm more confused now than I was when I first asked the question.

From hearing your points, my personal preference, then, will be to get my oil and oil filter changed every 4,000 miles, and get my tires rotated every-other oil change (unless my Jag dealer tells me otherwise). Thanks for all your info and research.

I still, unfortunately, am not able to drive my new car around. Purchased it over Memorial Day Weekend in Florida... got picked-up by the shipper/carrier this past thursday... not scheduled to get to me in Massachusetts till 6/14/07. :'( Ah well... I suppose I'll have to survive another two weeks without it.

Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure...
http://www.bitemyphoto.com/item/imag..._Main_View.jpg

Quick Reply: New X-Type: Scheduled Maintenance for Oil Changes and Tires