X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie alert! Quick question and thanks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newbie alert! Quick question and thanks...

Hi there,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here for all your posts.

I've owned my 2002 X Type 2.5 Sport for a few months now and after reading up on this forum have just successfully managed to change my spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter.

My question though is...

Once the engine management light comes on do you have to have a dealership reset it for it to switch off again?

The reason I ask is that mine came on shortly after I bought the car and it was this that prompted me to do a semi-service as I suspected that it was due to the spark plugs. However, upon changing them, the light is still on so now I'm worried that I have other issues.

Many thanks for any help anyone can shed on this.

Kris.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome.
If you'd like go buy a obdII tester or go to autozone to reset it (the location is right under the steering wheel above your feet.) Once the lights light up they don't shut off until it is reset.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Kris, as long as the problem condition is clear, after 5 starts of the vehicle, the Check Engine light will go out. But, this assumes that the problem has been clear that entire time. You can cheat and pull one of the battery terminals and leave it off for a few seconds and then reconnect. That will be enough to clear the Check engine light and reset the computer. But, a few warnings before doing that:

1) make sure you have your radio code handy as it may be possible that you will need to input the code to allow the radio to work again.

2) this will reset the engine management system. So, the first time you take the car out for a drive, take it easy and do a few accelerations up to about 35 mph and then gently stop. This will give the computer a chance to learn what it needs to do in the way of when to disengage the torque converter, when to drop the engine RPMs, etc. You don't need to drive the car any way special. Drive it like you normally will. That way the car adapts to how you drive.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Looks like I still have an issue then as the Check Engine Light is still on.

Also, and more worryingly, I now have my ABS light on.
So I've obviously done something while removing the inlet manifold to change the spark plugs.

Any ideas at all?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I know the Jaguar dealership near me will charge me a small fortune just to plug in their daignostics.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Where are you located?

If you are in the states try finding a place that will check why your engine light is on. You can also buy one for pretty cheap if you'd like (that's the obdII tester I'm talking about.)

Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM

Hi Aquill,

I'm in the UK, North West to be a bit more specific.

After reading your advice I'm going to have a look on the ever reliable e-bay for a code reader I think. Looks like a good investment if they are as cheap over here as they are in the states.

After changing the spark plugs etc, I've got the bug now to try and do my own work on the car if I can. (Been stung and ripped off too many times from dealerships in the past.)

I'm currently searching through previous posts on here to see if the ABS uses any vacuum pipes or electronic connections that are connected to or close to the inlet manifold but nothing is coming up as yet.

Thanks again,

Kris

Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry I couldn't be of any help. I don't know how easily available the obdII is over that way. I'd assume you use the same system for diagnostic as we do. I've seen them over here for around $80 (American dollar) and can go much higher than that.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by aquill1
Sorry I couldn't be of any help. I don't know how easily available the obdII is over that way. I'd assume you use the same system for diagnostic as we do. I've seen them over here for around $80 (American dollar) and can go much higher than that.
Not a problem at all, I appreciate your replys.

Had an interesting chat with the Service Desk guy at my local dealers today.

Explained that I was purely there for advice and that I'd like to do the work myself and he informed me that my ABS light is probably to do with something coming loose on one of the rear wheel hubs. Going to hopefully get the car up on ramps at the weekend and look for anything loose.

Can't remember now what he called it but apparently they send the road speed signal to the ECU or something along those lines and are notorious for the spot welds breaking.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

IIRC the thing he's talking about has come up quite a bit on here. Try searching for abs light in the search area to find it. I never had the problem so I don't have too much knowledge on it.

From what my mind thinks it remembers-something to do with a sensor of some sort????