X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No drive reverse park

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No drive reverse park

Interesting issue. While waiting in line I went to drive and NOTHING. I was thinking transmission but I think it my be the shift cable bc when I turn the car off it's still in neutral and it's not trying to go into gear. I have no fault lights or anything.

Does anyone has any further incite on this hopefully. This is just a uneducated guess on my part. Hoping it's not my transmission

Old 12-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Don, check the fluid level inside of your tranny. If your fluid level gets too low, it will cause the tranny to shift itself into neutral to protect itself (or with the older trannies there wasn't enough fluid to push the tranny into a gear). It can be something that simple. Otherwise, not sure what else to tell you. Trannies are my one weak point when it comes to cars. I know enough about them to be dangerous.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM

Funny thing. When I had it towed to the shop. The mechanic called and said everything was ok no issues found ???

Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Veteran member

Maybe the TCM got confuses and it simply needed to be depowered and then powered up again. Who knows.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Question thanks thermo

FFFFFFF*C*K... i got the car back and was driving it. after about 4 miles i get off the highway and BAM. Does it again. Funny thing is when i put it into park i here like a grinding sort of noise. Could this be a possible worn or bad shift link cable ??? very frustrating. funny thing too. I'm able to push the car while its in park. like the park gear isn't engaging ?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Don, it could be. About the only thing that I could tell you to try is to open the hood, get to where you can put your hand (or tool) on the gear shifter cable) and attempt to move the arm a little bit more to see if it will drop into a new gear. It could be possible you are between gears and everything is in the inbetween states (leading to the neutral condition). If this causes the car to go into gear, then the question is whether it is loose on the tranny end or the shifter end. That will take some investigation of touching the parts and playing with it.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default transmission

Hi Don
Ive jst finished rebuilding a 2.5 auto after an accident and the car wouldnt get the gears until the gearbox fluid level was right including grinding noises when going into park when not full
From under the vehicle on the bottom of the geatbox there are 2 bolts 1 large for the drain and 1 either an allen or commonly a 10mm just behind the selector.
If you indo the hex head 10mm one transmission fluid should come out a little if not it is down on fluid and would need topping up.
The refill is under the battery tray small pipe with pudh in stop.
There are several posts on the exact location of all part positions and also the drain refill procedure.
While you are under there you will also be able to check the tension of the selector cable.
Failing that try the tcm module
Good Luck
alex.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Smile Found the problem

Thanks ALL FOR THE FEEDBACK.. Well my mechanic informed me that my inner CV joint was bad and coming out of the transmission which is why i was hearing the grinding noise when i was putting it into neutral. I guess this transmission has a safety feature that kicks it into neutral to prevent damage to the transmission i'm guessing.

Happy Holidays all