X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No stepper motor movement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No stepper motor movement

Hello all, made my first post concerning climate control system on my new to me X Type with nav. The car was only blowing hot air out of the dash vents. I checked all fuses and confirmed the A/C system was working. After doing some research it sounded like a climate control module might be the trick, bought a used one but nothing really changed. Tried a reset, disconnect the battery and cycle the ducts, still nothing. I bought the stepper motor array, again used and tried plugging them in but still no movement. I noticed the air mixer valve was in full hot so I manually moved it and installed a replacement motor that happened to line up in this position. So at least I have cold air here in Florida, blowing out the dash vents, but still none of the 3 motors seem to want to move anything?
Any ideas? Anyone?
Thanks,
Jack

Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

There are three fuses protecting the climate control module and the items that that module powers. Two of the fuses also protect other circuits, such as the interior lighting, so you'd probably notice them failing, but F80, 7.5A in the glove box fuse panel is, iin practical terms, in a manual car, a dedicated climate control fuse so worth looking at. In an auto it also protects the J Gate.

The other fuses are F75, 7.5A and F99, 10A both in the glove box panel.

Last edited by astromorg; 05-29-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, when you mention glove box fuses, are you talking right hand drive? I'll double check, but those sound like the fuses I checked. Everything else in the car seems to work, but you mentioned the J gate, it does sound like a solenoid operating every time I release the brakes

Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

By glove box fuse panel, I mean the one that is inside the cabin as opposed to the one in the engine compartment. It's in the glove box in UK. Where is it in the USA?

Checking some other Jaguar training documentation I came across this statement that might be relevant?

''If, for some reason, a panel is disconnected without the battery being isolated, be sure to refit the black connector first, the white connector second. This enables power to be at the stepper motors prior to powering the climate control panel software.''

The trouble with this seems to be that none of the relevant wiring diagrams show a black and a white connector at either the stepper motors or the module! You might like to try connecting up with the battery disconnected if you didn't before?

Your problem in the J Gate is probably a faulty Not-in-Park switch. It's a simple microswitch, easily available at your local electronics store. It's easily replaced by carefully taking off the top of the J Gate - screws are self evident. Just keep a close eye on how all the levers and linkages fit together.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:09 PM

Well thank you for that, the control module does have a black and a white connector. So I should isolate the battery, disconnect the connections to the module, reinstall in the order you said, then reconnect the battery? Sounds crazy, but I'll try anything now!
On a US car the cabin fuses are just to the left and below the steering wheel, a small storage bin pulls out of the dash to expose them, I see the glove box on my car also has a pullout pane that exposes nothing on this car.
Thanks for the help!
Jack

Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

I just think that the reference to the order of connecting the black and white connectors suggests that you maybe did the job without disconnecting the battery and you reconnected in the wrong order. If that was so, it should only be necessary to either disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes reconnect it and see what happens! Or leave the battery connected, disconnect the black and white connectors and reconnect them, black first, white second. And hope!

Old 06-02-2013, 03:29 PM

well connected in order, black first, then white. Only real change I noticed is when full cold id selected the recirc button lights up. I hate to give up and go to the Jag dealer, but thanks for the help
Jack