X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Solution???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise Solution???

So was there ever a solution to the supposed drive shaft noise. I've had the X for about 9 months now and it just started doing this really annoying noise which seems to be what everyone else has experienced. Its louder around speeds of 55-65mph range. Any clue what the fix is.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
one
Default RE: Noise Solution???

Mine tends to moan a little around 30 mph under light (almost coating, but not quite) load.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

only fix I know was to sell it ;-)

Old 05-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights7.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  4.6 KB

Hey smokin..............mines gone all quiet.......lol.........only happens now n then, sorta like, when it feels like it and then not again for days, weeks even months[&:]
Similar to the door handle on the drivers side.........has been working fine for a long time now, and then all of a sudden it will play up for no apparent reason!!WTF!

JC

Old 05-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the driveshaft. In my opinion, it is not that difficult.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 PM

The carrier bearing goes bad and makes spooky moaning or howling noises. The noise solution is: replace the driveshaft and carrier bearing assembly (propshaft). Jaguar has revised the design and lowered the price. I was fortunate enough to get it covered under warranty this past winter.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 PM

BTW, a constant whining noise from the front or rear diff is considered "characteristic of the vehicle." Usually, the diff whine is loudest at about 70MPH. If this is what you are talking about, you wont be able to rid your car of this noise. The carrier bearings moan at lower speeds (15-40 MPH) and can actually cause driveline vibrations on the highway. Mine seemed to cause the most noise when it was very cold and below 35 MPH.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:56 AM

the dealer first claimed it was "tire noise." when i changed the tires and it persisted, the mechanic wonderfully "heard the noise this time" and it was not tire noise at all, but "normal drivetrain noise." so a car with 30k miles on it is "supposed" to make that noise. blah.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:03 AM

The tires create quite a bit of noise when the feather on the insides. The AWD X types, like many other AWD cars, are known for feathering the insides of the treads due to poor alignment. It often creates a road-speed howl.

If the dealer feels the tires are making noise, ask them to swap the wheels/tires from another X onto your X and drive it to see if the noise goes away. Make them convince you.

If it doesn't go away, it may be the typical drivetrain noise. AWD cars tend to be noisier than other cars because there are 2 diffs, a transfer case, a transmission, and two more driveshafts than usual. With all those extra gears meshing and bearings truning under load, of course they are going to make more noise!

One of the issues reviewers noted when the X was introduced into the 'States in 2002 was the gear whine. It's simply characteristic of the vehicle. Drive an Audi with Quattro or a Bimmer with X-drive. They all make some noise. Some people are naturally more tuned in to the noise and it bothers them more in certain cars than others, but this is why there are some many different models of cars to choose from.

Supposedly the dealers were swapping diffs and AWD units left and right for gear whine when the X was new, only to find that the replacement units were just as noisy and in some cases worse!

Once you know what the noise is, turn up the radio and ignore it.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it's the tires. :-)
Had the same noise, replaced my tires (needed new ones anyway) and the sound is gone.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To tell you the truth bo my car doesn't make any noises...well fromt the awd! My car has noises but I am **** about noises and mine are from my suspension all the way around the freakin' car sometimes you hear em sometimes not...I have however noticed noises from my tires...more and more...I can't wait to see what different noise the car would make with different tires...I feel bad for ya bo cuz you have had nothing but probs!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights7.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  4.6 KB

Jeez Aquill.........and then some, I mean with regardto Bo's problems. Man he's had more than his fair share, most of which he's posted about I guess.
To be fair though, he seems to have stuck at it and is gettin the car where he wants it to be.
Although he was thinkin about selling it, were'nt you Bo?

Jim

Old 06-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most jag dealers dont know squat about jags, most of u guys on here know way more. Oh and the service is not at all what u wud expect for ownibg a jag. when i go to the audi of vw dealer, they treat me like family, at jag they treay me like SH*T! thats why after the warrany is done, ill get my car fixed/serviced elsewhere

Old 06-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Those silly dealers seem to run potential Jaguar Customers away from the marque as well which is **** [:@]

Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah that seems to be the way...wish you guys were here in Michigan because the 2 dealers about 1/2 hour away (me driving[sm=gears.gif]) to either one have been nice as could be expected!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Customer service is really dealer dependant, no matter the brand. My purchasing dealer was crap; my current servicing dealer and another one I've used on the road were fantastic and the techs were extremely knowledgeable. I've personally worked for a mediocre dealer (Penske owned!) and the current Porsche dealer I work for is small and really dedicated to it's customers, which is why we are Porsche's newest Premier dealer![8D]

The biggest problem with noise diagnosis is the customer's complaints that are lost in translation when they have to speak to a service advisor, who often doesn't know a spark plug from a steering wheel. Then, they have to write a repair order and explain to a technician what the customer's issue is. It's such a crappy way to get things done. Often, direct customer to tech contact or a tech riding with a customer to verify the complaint will answer many questions and pinpoint issues well before the car is put on a lift.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah +1 up on that one sonic...got a noise to happen in my sisters grand prix for solid 15 minutes...took it to the dealer and talk to the guy who types the problem, than there was the main tech that would tell another tech about it and that tech would tell the actual mechanic to work on it! Rode in the car with the first (main) tech to show them what the noise was....than he took it to his tech who told the mechanic the problem and they couldn't get the problem to do it...they said it was a return line to the power steering pump or reservoir that vibrated really bad...not a problem or recall on that particular car but gm had tons of problems with it on the earlier montana van with the 3.8. That whole system is a joke!

Quick Reply: Noise Solution???