X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!! Noisy Front Wheel Bearing ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 05:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation !!! Noisy Front Wheel Bearing ???

Hello Everybody.
I need some help with identifying the fault on my Jaguar X-Type 3.0 SE Manual Petrol AWD.
I suspect it is a worn front wheel bearing on the driver's side (UK - right-hand drive).
It started as a noise inside my car when on a motorway around 60 MPH about a year ago. I drive very seldom, so I just made about 1,300 miles since then. First I thought the noise might be related to the gearbox, propshaft, differential, etc. Then I thought it might be my tires. But about a month ago, I noticed a weird thing -> the noise stops completely when I make a slight right turn (changing lanes, or right-curved exits, etc.) - but when I get back to driving straight, the noise is back. The noise also remains when turning left.
I did an extensive research online in the past 2 days and it seems like a wheel bearing is on its way and it being identified as the one on the right side because it stops being noisy when turning right.
I used to do all these types of mechanical works on my own Pontiac GTO 1971 in California about 25 years ago... changing a wheel bearing was absolutely easy for me, like everything else on such cars.
But on this X-Type, after consulting my Haynes Manual, I don't think I can do it myself - they mention all types of special tools like 20-ton press, etc...
Does anyone know if it is even possible to replace the wheel bearing on my driveway? The part is only £30 at EuroCarParts, but the procedure seems to be rated at 2 hours labour. If I had the tools, I would definitely do it myself. But I don't even have that large socket required to remove the wheel nut, so I am going to have to buy that, including the torque wrench... But how am I going to press the bearing out of the hub-carrier/wheel-hub assembly? And how am I going to put the new one back into it without a press?
And also, I have read the stories of people doing it on their own driveways and screwing up their ABS sensory systems... the wheel bearing assembly actually has a component which is the part of the ABS wiring connecting to the hub-carrier.
I am tired of having the work on my Baby Jag done by the unscrupulous garages and auto shops, I just don't trust them any more, they make more damage to my baby then is necessary (like during the last full service, they stripped one of my safety lug-nuts and let it be - telling me that it was already like that... and other horrible stories).
Thanks for any help
Paul

Last edited by Pauljagpaul; 09-17-2016 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Car Identification In The Post
Old 09-17-2016, 07:16 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

The noise you're hearing could be a bad axle CV joint. One way to diagnose is to lift right wheel clear of ground, then grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock positions and see if you can feel any looseness. Repeat with hands at 3 and 9 o'clock to check the tie rod. Here's a video showing disassembly of the front suspension for shock replacement; you'll need to do this to get the front hub clear for bearing replacement. If you're able to do this much you could take the hub and new bearing to a shop that has a press.

The following users liked this post:
Pauljagpaul (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 07:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Paul, why not get something like this:

Front Wheel Hub Bearing Assembly 512305 for Audi A4 A6 A8 RS4 S4 Jaguar x Type | eBay

That has the bearing already pressed in for you. Then all you have to do is unbolt the hub assembly and put in the new. It will save you some time and probably money since you would be paying to have someone press out the bearing for you. Then all you are left with is getting a few tools to complete the job.

From what you describe, it sounds a lot like a hub assembly. Normally if a CV joint is starting to go, when you back up (straight or turning), the noise is going to change. So, a simple backing up check should answer that one for you.

Pauljagpaul (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

you could do it yourself with a few loan a tools.
remember that the new bearing has to go on with the magnetic side facing out towards the wheel bolts.

Pauljagpaul (09-17-2016)