X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non matching wood trim 2007 SE

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Non matching wood trim 2007 SE

What is the official name for the standard wood trim found on a 2007 SE?

My X Type has on the “Dealer Vehicle Details” the following extras

Trim Details * Bronze Sapele Pommelle Veneer
Features * Wood/leather Strg Wheel

The steering wheel is a matching Bronze Sapele Pommelle Veneer.

The ashtray cover and the auto gear quadrant surround are a different wood finish. I am guessing that when originally ordered, an upgrade for these to match the rest of the wood was not identified / omitted / not specified.
This miss match irritates me and I plan to replace both items.
My local main dealer quotes approx £265.74 total for the pair.
I think I have little chance of finding these items from a breakers.

From what I read, replacing both items is a fairly simple DIY job.
I do not want to damage either the old items or even more importantly the new ones.

I plan to advertise my old wood items which are in perfect condition so knowing the correct description of the wood would help.

I have seen another SE advertised, similar to mine and it too had these items mis matched.

Although I like the standard gear knob the colour is not good.
I suspect a matching gear knob has never been produced but I will enquire.

Attached Thumbnails Non matching wood trim 2007 SE-dscf4078.jpg   Non matching wood trim 2007 SE-dscf4079.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Swapping them is very easy, I bought a similar set (ashtray & gear surround) for my manual X-Type. There are such sets of two available on eBay, and I'd consider it important to buy it as a set or to at least make sure they came from the same car. The shade of the stain may differ from car to car even if it is "the same veneer", and those parts are adjacent to each other so even a slight a mismatch would be very visible. Even if you order them new, there's no guarantee they'll be an exact match.

The big problem is, it's impossible to reliably identify the wood stain colour and shade from a photograph on the internet. Everything matters; ambient light when photo was taken, camera settings (white balance, flash, colour settings, other jpg processing) and the camera itself, whether the photo was edited afterwards, and finally the make/model/calibration of the monitor you are viewing the photo on.

I bought the two parts, as the stain looked similar. I don't have the ad photo anywhere, but here's one I took to compare the ashtray to the instrument cluster surround...

The following users liked this post:
henry k (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Very useful points.
It is good to have confirmation that they are easy to swop.
My photos were taken at the same time and no difference in settings etc so you can see the mismatch.
There are such sets of two available on eBay, and I'd consider it important to buy it as a set or to at least make sure they came from the same car.
I have only seen one set of any finish to date so I think I will have to buy mine from my main dealer especially as I think they are quite rare and an expensive option.
Buying from a dealer, I do at least have a chance of saying " Not a good enough match . Please try again !"
Having the Sat Nav fitted it does mean that the two new parts are not next to the existing wood so a slight mis match would be easier on the eye.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Unless you have all settings on manual, most cameras will choose at least the white balance (the "warmness" of photos, affects browns a lot) automatically whenever you point it at something new. However I believe you, and not only does it look like there's a stain mismatch (colour) there's also a pattern mismatch? The airbag cover has these lighter wavy areas, a bit like crumpled silk, while the other parts don't.

I might consider taking off some part and asking the dealer to match it. I'm under the impession that Sapelle Pommelle was the basic veneer in the US, just as Bird's Eye Maple was the basic veneer in Europe (at least until 2004), so it might not be impossible to find those parts. All automatic models had the wooden ashtray lid and a wooden gear lever surround, only manual models didn't. The only wooden bit that was an optional extra is the wood/leather steering wheel, but it was fitted as standard to the highest-spec cars. Also, only SE models and above (so no Classic or Sport) have the wood inserts on the doors.