Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd front end problem development

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 760 Likes on 677 Posts
Default Odd front end problem development

A bit of an odd thing fixed today. Redid the front suspension last fall (see my posts if interested with pics). After the nightmare of the initial installation, all was good.
About 3-4 weeks ago, noticed a slight metallic "banging" on rough roads or the winter pot holes. Not a shock bang, not a ball joint type, no feeling in steering, no change in handling. Sounded a bit like back in the old days where the front sway bar just behind the front bumper was bad. Was a little worried with all the cutting, etc. done to replace the a frame arms, that maybe the damn sub frame bolt that had spun the captive nut had loosened and maybe flexing up/down to make the sound (that would be BAD).
Ran the kitty out to H.A.F.B. hobby shop, lifted it up. Started grabbing all the stuff underneath and trying to flex it after first inspecting the sub frame bolts and securely still tight (whew!!).
Finally found the culprit = the new Front Stabilizer Sway Bar End Link bottom end nut on the passenger side had spun half off. That little bit of play was letting it move and bang. I can't for the life of me figure how that nut would back off with how you use a torx inserted in the bolt then tighten the nut to even get it on in the first place.
Tightened it back up and FIXED. :-) :-) :-)