S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aircon odd, t-stat gauge odd, coolant keeps going. Connected??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircon odd, t-stat gauge odd, coolant keeps going. Connected??

I'm putting these together as I'm wondering if it's all connected. I'll keep it simple so I can understand what I'm writing

My car is a 53 plate S-type.

Problem 1) I have 5 air vents in the car. 4 in the front and 1 pointing in the back in between the 2 front seats. Since I got the car a year ago they were all blowing hot except the middle right one which would do as it's told. If I left the others open they would blow hot and middle right would be ice cold. If I closed them all except the middle right, it would blow cool but not icy (as if some of the heat was diverting into it)

NOW over the last few weeks (heading into winter time!) they've ALL started blowing much colder, even if I put the temperature up to "HI" It's not the gas as I alreayd had it regassed and it was spot on to begin with.

Problem 2) I can't say how long it's been like this but I've never seen my t-stat gauge go past half-way. it always goes up to the exact same point quite quickly and every time. In fact it looks almost like it is going up and then hitting a max point and staying there. I'm worried it's actually a lot hotter than the gauge is showing.

Problem 3) It's now started running low on coolant every 4 days or so. It doesn't take a lot to top it back up to max (a pint or less?) I'm not aware of any leak and the oil also appears to be fine. Is it boiling away? (see Problem 2)

Beyond that I'm not aware of any issues with the car given it's age.

Any help gratefully received.
Joe

Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The cluster gauge doesn't reflect the true temp. Sadly (?) now true of various cars. You can read the true figure using OBD or look on here for ETM (see my signature).

However, that value is not used by the CCM. There are a ton of threads on here which go into the gory details.

Your coolant is what matters. If you really can't find the leak - and bright orange is usually easy to find - I'd find a jag dealer or indy soon. Very soon.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 PM

OK.

Do you think the aircon situation is completely separate then?

Joe

Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Yes. But also to some extent irrelevant in the sense that I'd want to know the actual ECT sensor is OK and what the coolant issue is, and carrying out whatever fix is needed. That might (but may not) fix the a/c. If not, do that last. Losing coolant is a sign of possible damage / a risk of damage.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Unhappy

Thought I'd give an update here.

Last week I took it to a good private mechanic who immediately spotted that a coolant pipe from the top of the radiator down to the engine (?) had started to corrode and was losing water. Said to keep it topped up and he'd get a new pipe ordered to install this week.

Yesterday, unbeknown to me that corroded pipe completely came off at one end and all the water boiled away while I was on the motorway.

The engine packed in (probably head gasket blown) and I had to get towed off. The diagnosis is the car is not worth fixing and I should just sell it as a repair job to someone. (53 plate S-type that was in good nick otherwise, probably worth £3K) all for the sake of a £40 pipe fitting job that would take 5 mins

My man today has the right pipe to fix to the car. Sadly I don't have a car to fix to the pipe!

(
Joe