X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak mystery

Old 04-25-2017, 06:39 AM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Oil leak mystery

I can't find an oil leak on my 2.5L. The engine is dry, i left a large piece of white plastic sheet under my car to target the leak. I checked the oil pan, bone dry. I went as far as taking off the manifold down to the knock sensor and that is bone dry. There is literally no physical portion of this engine that is leaking. I checked valve covers and removed coils and all of that is bone dry. Today I am removing the air compressor to check the oil pressure switch.

Yesterday the oil light went solid but when I remove the oil cap it is shooting oil all over the chain and the valves are not making any weird noises. I know the sensor reads pressure but it could be a wiring issue.

Any ideas would be great.

P.S: The car is not smoking or any weird smokes coming from the rear. The oil filter was leaking recently, but I fixed that issue. The car lost about 1/2 quart in a 30 minute drive. I haven't driven the car after this incident because the oil light scared me.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:53 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Hmm...no leaks, no smoke. Did you pull a spark plug or two to check them? If you had oil pump failure you wouldn't have been able to do that 30 minute drive. I suspect the oil pressure switch, p/n C2S52255.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 AM

I pulled all the spark plugs and they are bone dry as well. I just came inside from removing the compressor and the wire for the oil switch was yanked out a bit. The rubber insulator was half way out. I pushed it back in and there was no "click" noise. I am going to change the switch now and update. I am pretty sure the light will be gone once the wire and switch are secured.

This still doesn't solve the leak issue. The switch area was bone dry as well. I was thinking maybe rear main seal but surely the clutch would slip or the oil would have drained out the bottom seep hole between the trans and engine. Bone dry as well.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Hope a new switch solves the warning light problem. As for the oil loss, there's only two possibilities: A leak, or the engine's consuming it. From your description it's not leaking out. If new oil pressure switch solves the warning light issue, I'd continue to drive the car and monitor oil level.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 AM

I just came back from buying some oil filters. I just seen the possible culprit. The oil cooler adapter surface is dented. May have been when this engine was shipped in on a pallet. I can put a Ford Oil filter insert to bypass the cooler until I can buy another. They share the same filter and threads. If this is it then wow... just wow.