Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OOPS....I murdered the jag!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default OOPS....I murdered the jag!

bought some rims on CL for $400 at the weekend...then damn it, i found an old can of tailight tint in the garage...the rest as they say ...is history!
I started with installing the clear side markers i bought a while back...then tinted the red and amber side lenses...then saw a pic on here with tinted tail lights...so i HAD to do those too :+)
I like the way it looks...but i'm not sure if i'll keep the tail lights...might be asking to get pulled over.
Have any of you guys with tinted lights had any problems?
When i bought the car, all the windows were tinted...looked great but decided to remove the front window tint for safety and less cop attention :+)

Attached Thumbnails OOPS....I murdered the jag!-001.jpg   OOPS....I murdered the jag!-002.jpg   OOPS....I murdered the jag!-003.jpg   OOPS....I murdered the jag!-004.jpg   OOPS....I murdered the jag!-005.jpg  

OOPS....I murdered the jag!-006.jpg   OOPS....I murdered the jag!-007.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

If you like it, that is all that matters. Granted, one thing that I think would add something to the car is what I did with the "Jaguar" above the rear license plate. On my car, I have the Jaguar in chrome while the rest of that piece is color matched to the car. On your car, I think that would look really good. Granted, at this point, it would be hard to do that without buying a new piece and then starting all over.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

thanks Thermo...i want to add the chrome J A G U A R above the license plate but not sure where to find them...i,m thinking of using some chrome paint..i should be able to make a nice job of it.
I like the Arden tail lights, but the price is pretty high. i may buy a used set of tail lights and just do some masking off and then use the tint again.
If anyone has the Arden lights for sale here i'd be interested.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

iownme, you will not find the chrome "Jaguar" only pieces. That is a custom thing that only I have done. It is easy to do. If you are interested in how to do it, let me know. You have to start with an all chrome piece, then you end up painting part of it. Trick is keeping things separated to make the Jaguar remain chrome.

My next idea is to actually cut the "Jaguar" out and then replace it with some clear acrylic letter blocks, then back light it with something. We will see what happens. To many other projects I want to do first.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

i too had thought about cutting and backlighting :+)
do you have a close up pic of your J A G U A R ?
i don't understand how you did it...seeing it may help.

i just saw another thread with a chromed J A G U A R...have to try and find it again...it was done on a green X sport...found it...post #45 in the thread "pics of your car right now"

Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on state laws with the tinted taillights. In Arkansas you have to be able to see them 200 yards away and with mine you can. I will try to post pics of how my car looks now. Wheels have been powder coated.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

ok..i understand.
i bought a chrome boot lip a while back as i was going to put that on my car...after i bought it, i realized it was a different shape and style to mine...only slightly different..but different!...it has a growler button on the front to open the trunk, where mine has the trunk button hidden underneath...is this a difference between sport models and non sport...or is it a newer/older style of lip?
if its a sport/non sport issue then i can't go that route and will have to think of something else....whichever...i'll figure out a way to chrome/silver my J A G U A R..LOL

Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

iownme, I believe it is a difference between the older and newer jags. It should match up wiring wise as the push button is only a 2 wire thing in both cases. But, you should be able to find a chrome version of the one that you have and simply paint it up like I say and you will get the best of both worlds. What I did to my car can be done to any car. It is all in how you prep the part.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

I think the rim lips should be black, too, for true murdered out look.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

i agree expat..but after a lot of reading about the legality of tinted rear lights i've decided to de-tint them...its just asking to be pulled over...somewhere...sometime!
I will do a re-tint now that i know the rules of what needs to be factory original.
I think as long as i have one "reflective" lens both sides for the tail-light and brake light i should be ok legally.
I will probably mask off two circles in a similar fashion to the arden tails.
The light is very visable...and needs to visible @ 500' to be legal...i'm sure mine are visible...but who wants to argue with a cop?..not me.
I'll post the re-tint

Old 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Re lights. I would just tint the white section heavily with a much lighter tint on the red parts. That is how the factory would do it if the option existed.