X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion of Jaguar shop owner about Xs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
we'll program a key not purchased from us but it has to be a Jaguar key. Too many issues with ebay, aftermarket keys and remotes. Yeah its a standard 1 hour fee. time doesn't matter. You know overhead, damn Toughbook laptops that are $6000 and have to be used, we have 6 and many times we're waiting for someone else to finish. I would like to use my own $1100 touch screen laptop and just load software and buy a interface. BUT NOOOOO Jaguar can tell what we use and they wont update and bitch at dealers that try. Most all good locksmiths can do it as well and get around VCM programming or replacement like on the newer cars
Automechanics are good, it is service assistants rip off people. I usually go dealer to mechanics and talk to them.
I had a Mercedes once and couldn't erase engine code, dealer wanted 2 hours or so. Mercedes has some secret codes, which cannot be erased by non-Mercedes scanners, I tried bunch of different scanners. Finally I went to GM foreman mechanic, he erased it using some MACK(?) scanner.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

From my perspective, i have always said the xtype is the least expensive jaguar to buy and the most expensive to own.
'would you mind clarifying that statement please (and just for fun, maybe an anecdote or 2)?

" least expensive jaguar to buy" (When it was newly purchased or now (pre-owned)?)

"most expensive to own" (in terms of cost of parts, labor, reliability?)

Your response will indubitably assist those considering purchasing an X-Type, and quite possibly make me think that I made big mistake in buying 2 of them!

TIA

Last edited by BlownKitty; 03-20-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by car5car
I wouldn't pay more than $200, most likely AC doesn't work. Are wheels stolen or this is wheelless model?
I told you, Jags were not reliable cars, guy drove it on highway and wheels fell off!
Which truly shows your ignorance of Jaguar cars and what the name means.

The fact that you possibly bought (used) the single worse Jaguar ever manufactured...

Dude, You're boring.. My advice to you is to buy a "leaper" (or a "growler" badge) and install them on dad's Focus.. (PM me your address and I'll send you one for FREE)

You'll be a "JAG man" your friends will adore you because you own a "JAG".. and "chicks" love riding in your in (FOJAG).

Please check with your father before drilling holes into the hood of his Focus to mount a "leaper".

Old 03-20-2019, 10:10 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by car5car
I didn't diagnose it there. In FL:
1.I diagnosed it and was about 95% sure, it was instrument cluster. I went to talk to dealer mechanics, they said speedometers die all the time and showed me cardboard box filled with speedometers.
2.I talked to best mechanic there and guy said he could program used speedometer.
They made me buy key blank for $130(?), because second key was needed.
Everything cost me about $1000, including gas to tow.
That's what I meant. All the time and money you wasted going to Florida, coming back, and hauling it back to FL you could have just fixed it in Maryland.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 AM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownKitty
'would you mind clarifying that statement please (and just for fun, maybe an anecdote or 2)?

" least expensive jaguar to buy" (When it was newly purchased or now (pre-owned)?) BOTH

"most expensive to own" (in terms of cost of parts, labor, reliability?) BOTH, XJ, XK are imo better buys

Your response will indubitably assist those considering purchasing an X-Type, and quite possibly make me think that I made big mistake in buying 2 of them!

TIA
I Bought all 3 of my kids their first cars. you wreck, blow em up whatever. The next is on you. My oldest I bought a really nice 03 Xtype 8 years ago for $1500 from a customer I have known for years. Then dropped $2500 in parts and my free labor to bring it up what I expect in needed maintenance/repairs for a car . She totaled it 6 months later by rear ending another car. Those people drove away afterwards and she did not, got her car towed since radiator, condenser and front end smashed. I told my kids and others. BUY A CAR THAT YOU CAN NOT ONLY AFFORD TO BUY, BUT TO MAINTAIN AS WELL. All luxury cars with age and miles can be had a fractions of new price. BUT, the people the can really fix them and the parts are still at a luxury car price. I see a lot of people that buy cars they can afford to buy but freak out if they have to spend any money past a oil change. Buy a Toyota then. My 2 other kids have Toyotas and yeah I don't ever fix those. And yeah theyre boring but they don't care cause they say a car is just transportation (WTH your mom must have cheated on me with you 2 cause those words would NEVER come out of my mouth)

Last edited by Brutal; 03-21-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:20 PM

I (now) understand perfectly! I bought my daughter her first car 10-years ago. She wanted a E36 M3 (NOT going to happen!), was willing to settle for a 325i (Too much power and questionable M50 DOHC, Nope!) She ended up with a 318is. The car was reliable, safe, and could keep her from getting herself into too much trouble. Within a year the car was trashed due to her not keeping it up; A rock broke one of your fog lights? NP, I can get one for $20, you pay for it I'll help you install it, someone backed into the car and damaged the rear bumper? When you get the money from insurance we'll get a used (matching bumper) and install it. 2-years later she bought a new Jeep Compass and sold the BMW for a few hundred dollars with a broken fog light, damaged rear bumper, and a host of other problems. She has her Compass washed and detailed twice a month and the oil changed every 3,000-miles..

The following users liked this post:
AJ16er (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I see a lot of people that buy cars they can afford to buy but freak out if they have to spend any money past a oil change.
Exactly. Then they get on the internet and trash [insert premium make here] about how "unreliable" they are and expensive to fix. Just buy a Corolla from the get-go and be done with it.

Brutal (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Here is the difference between Jaguars and Toyotas:
Jaguars sell for twice I paid for them, but Toyotas sell for 3x-4x!
I am not complaining!

Old 03-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Jaguars, like fine women operate the same. You cant just get them and not expect to spend time and money on them.

AJ16er (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Yeah, they cost about the same to maintain properly.