Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default paint

planning on painting the engine cover, airbox cover, and rims, what do i need, cost, materials and procdure preferable, any tips and tricks are welcome!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

sorry dude im in canada, i know thermo's done it, hmm where is the guy thses day slol

Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Disco, sorry about that. Having computer issues and doing a bit of travelling. I did a high speed run from SW Maryland to NW Ohio. I-70 was a blast. Don't think I went below 70 mph the whole way.

As for painting, you will first need to decide if you want single stage or dual stage paint. Really the only differences is whether you are forced to use clear or not. Single stage it is not required, dual stage it is. Granted, dual stage paint will tend to run you a bit more, but will also tend to give a better finish in the long run. Also the dual stage paint tends to go a bit further.

As for painting, the big thing is plastic prep!!!!! You don't prep, you will not have paint for very long. As for supplies, this is what I recommend:
-adhesion promotor (special primer for plastic parts)
-colored paint (as mentioned above)
-clear coat paint (not required for the single stage paints, but I put some on anyways because I find the clear makes the single stage more glossy)
-reducer (aka, paint thinner): I recommend medium reducer to give you more time to get the paint flat without it taking forever to dry.
-hardener for the clear (when you buy the clear, they will sell you the hardener too as it is specific to the brand of clear you buy).
-course scouring pad or 400 grit sand paper (needed to roughen up the surface of the plastic to make it stick better)

After this list of paint supplies, you will need the basics: paper, masking tape, rags, spray gun, etc. I personally am not a fan of the spray can clears. I can never seem to get a glossy finish with them like I can with the spray gun paints. Not to mention the spray gun paints will cost a little more up front, but will go a lot further, so the cost is cheaper in the long run.

As for tips, do a little bit of looking online and you will find 20 different ways to do the same thing. The best advice that I can tell you is if you are in doubt of whether the paint is dry or not, let it set!!!!!! Normally after 24 hours, the paint is able to be handled and the next layer of paint can be added. You can also lightly sand out any runs using the 400 grit sandpaper. Then you can apply more paint over the top and you won't be able to tell that you sanded. Just don't sand out all the color.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you so much thermo, i just got back from a backpacking trip and busy too catching up to reaality. So now i ran into a few no related problems, adjustable drivers seat has seem to lost one of its function, the leaning the fron down button ( tilting the front) has lost its function, but the rest of the features work hmm. And suggestions, can i reset it like the sunroof.