X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park aid (Back-up) sensor speaker. 04 xtype

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Park aid (Back-up) sensor speaker. 04 xtype

My sensors are working, heard the clicking sound with key in run position and trans in reverse. But no beeping. I have read the other threads on the sensor but see only vague instructions about finding the speaker (piezo?) under the rear package ledge. I can crawl in the trunk with the seat back folded down. Don't see anything suspicious or obvious. Anybody have more precise info on location of speaker and how to get access to it and, if I have to replace it, where to buy it?

TIA

Stephen

Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen11962
My sensors are working, heard the clicking sound with key in run position and trans in reverse. But no beeping. I have read the other threads on the sensor but see only vague instructions about finding the speaker (piezo?) under the rear package ledge. I can crawl in the trunk with the seat back folded down. Don't see anything suspicious or obvious. Anybody have more precise info on location of speaker and how to get access to it and, if I have to replace it, where to buy it?

TIA

Stephen
I have one in my parts car we just have to locate it if you are interested.

email me srybicki@comcast.net

Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SEBZX79
I have one in my parts car we just have to locate it if you are interested.

email me srybicki@comcast.net
The speaker is under the carpeted panel on the rear deck. It can't be accessed from inside the trunk.

You must remove (fold down) the rear seatbacks, remove the seat side bolsters, remove the rear quarter airbag panels, remove the three child seat anchors, then pull out the carpeted rear deck panel.

You will now see the small 2.5" speaker mounted face up just off from center, close to the bottom edge of the rear window.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM

The weekend has arrived and I have repaired the out-of-commission speaker:

First, no necessity to remove side bolsters and air bags. I have an 04 x-type. The steel under the back window ledge (accessible from the trunk) has two round cut-outs (5" diam +/-) for additional speakers (which I do not have). They are blanked off with sound-deadening board glued to the opening. The buzzer is located between the two speaker holes. I carefully dislodged the material on the closest to the buzzer and had easy access to the little buzzer which is held in place with plastic compression pegs. Squeeze the pegs and out pops the buzzer.

Second, go to Radio Shack and look in their 'buzzer' drawer and get a 12volt buzzer ($3-4. eBay is selling replacement for $80???). This will not exactly fit the casing which held the original buzzer. The casing folds 180 deg and snaps closed. Open it up and insert new. I took the old buzzer contacts and soldered the leads of the new to them, put glue on from glue gun to make 'new plug (into the female coming from the module).' The buzzer is polarized. One way does nothing and the other way works. This is highly not OEM, but it works, so far- about 20 minutes. And, it no longer has an English accent. I replaced the hole closing material without difficulty - the glue is permanently sticky!

Stephen

Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Excellent! Thanks for the update. Glad you could reach it with minimal work.

Just for clarification, I didn't say to remove the airbags...

Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 PM

Trouble in paradise.

It turns out that the new buzzer has a constant, low-level, high pitch when the ignition is on, trans not in park - just loud enough to be annoying. So, I have some questions of a fairly technical kind:

Why would there be current to the buzzer when not in Park? I wonder if there is something amiss in the park-aid module that knocked the original buzzer out? Does anyone out there have more info on the whole assembly - like specs?

The buzzer I got from RadioShack has a 3-20vdc rating. I bought another buzzer ( another $3.50 down the tube) with a 12 vdc rating and tried that. It works also, but too quiet to the point of inaudibility. I cannot tell if there is a high tone pitch from that one. That seems to indicate that voltage spec is critical. I put a voltmeter on the buzzer leads and I got 10.4 volts constant and a little spike (maybe .5 volts) that seems to trigger the
beeping.

I am puzzled.

Nick:

Apologies for misread about the air bags.

Stephen

Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Last comment:

Went to RadioShack again, different store, larger, and bought #273-0092 mini speaker ($2.79 +t). This works, without the high pitch squeal. It is not very loud. It does not fit in the case. Attached the speaker to the steel deck with Velcro and placed it further right under a grill to reduce muffling. Works OK unless the music is too loud.

But, there are still unanswered questions.

Stephen