X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Rear Door Locking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Passenger Rear Door Locking Issue

It's hard to believe that here I am already addressing issues only after a tad over a month of ownership. I was hoping I got a lucky one...

Anyhow, I never even noticed this until today and maybe this problem existed and I just never knew when I bought the car. So, I locked the car with my remote like I always have and for some reason decided to just check all the doors to make sure they were indeed locked. All doors were fine until I got to the rear passenger side door and when I pulled the handle the door opened and the alarm went off. Scared the crap out of me as I was not expecting that.

So I have ran a series of testing and it seems that door is not responding at all to any of the electronic locking either remotely or by locking and unlocking the latches from the drivers or passenger door. All other locks respond as should. So the only way to lock and unlock that door now is manually and that sucks.

I also ran a test on all the windows and they work fine and all respond to locking and holding the key to make them go up. So I think that would eliminate a fuse, right?

I am so pissed right now as I also noticed the headliner felt material just started a bubble meaning the glue is not holding anymore and I suppose I know what that means...it's going to get worse and I will have to have the whole headliner pulled out and have it re-glued. That is sad because it is in perfect shape...not a mark on it. Any ideas on how to get around what I sense will be a 300.00+ job?

So yeah...I am really let down right now. Bought what I thought was a perfect Jag with only 15k on her and as soon as I get her crap starts happening. Any and all help appreciated on these issues. Thanks folks ;-)

2002 X-Type - 3.0L

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 09-04-2016, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

What might be happening is that from lack of use through the years the lock might be sticking. When I had mine that happened to one of the rear doors. What I did was just push and pull the lock on that door a bunch of times and that was always enough to get it to start working consistently again for a while. Usually worked for several months I guess you could also try spraying some lubricant in there, but I never did.

As for the headliner, I guess that is to be expected from a 14 year old car, even one with that few miles. There are quite a number of posts on here about how to spot repair the headliner if you do a little searching. You can probably repair that small area simply enough to buy you some time.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:07 PM

The lock seems to be moving fine when I do it by hand...I mean it feels no different then any other lock on the car that I have manually locked or unlocked but I will give it a try. I have a feeling it is going to be something electronic. The good news is that as long as I leave the door locked I am ok security wise and since I hardly ever will have a rear passenger it won't be a big issue. HOWEVER I also know that by letting the little things go it will soon add up to "a lot" of little things I will never be able to catch up on and I want to keep this car in as tip top shape as I can with everything working as it should.

Thanks for the reply Alfadude and if ya think of anything else feel free to pass it on! ;-)

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 PM

Any other ideas or input folks? Someone must have surely had this issue before and solved it. Any and all advice welcome for sure....thank you!

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 10-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Default Update & fixed

So, since it is fixed I thought I would share how even though I still don't know what happened.

Since I posted this thread I just assumed the only way to open the back right rear door was manually since it would not open via the FOB or by manually moving the drivers door latch which should unlock everything.

Today I took my Jag in for a car wash which I have done at a detailing place. For $20 they do a killer job. Anyhow, I usually open all the doors for them so they don't have to mess with the FOB. I went around to manually unlock the back right door and it would not budge. I would pull on the lock/unlock latch and it would just snap right back into place and the door would not unlock. I was thinking to myself "freaking great...now I can't even open the damn door and I wonder what caused this to happen from being able to at least manually unlock it?" So yeah, now I am thinking of all the dead presidents that will be floating out of my wallet to get this fixed...great!

So, when I get home and park in my garage I decide to push and pull on things. I tried the key FOB again several times with no luck...I tried manually unlocking the door and nothing. I tried the drivers door lock and unlock a few times and nothing moved at all on that back right hand door....

UNTIL, I decided to manually lock and unlock from the passenger side door and boom!!!! The whole thing reset somehow and the door lock came back to life and works perfectly now with the key FOB and manually both!

Can anybody here tell me what the hell just happened here? Is there a way those locks can get out of sequence with each other somehow? Maybe it got unlocked manually and then when the unlock on the FOB was pressed it got confused...I am just reaching here so if someone knows...PLEASE chime in so others who have this issue know why or what to avoid doing.

Bottom line is it is fixed and working and all it took was moving the passenger side door lock latch back and forth one single time.

peace out,
daddylogan

The following users liked this post:
PanamaJag (10-29-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Daddylogan, that's good news. I just had similar thing happen in my 2004 3.0. I took half this week off from work and had a list of things to do on car. One was to replace door lock mechanism in passenger front. Even bought a used assembly with cable on eBay. Today was day I had set aside to take off inner panel, swap out the lock assembly, and planned to replace most of the door clips with ones I bought hearing I would break most in the process. So I pulled Jag into my garage and spread all my tools and supplies ready to spend awhile tackling this. I clicked the inside door unlock mechanism to make sure all doors were open and heard unfamiliar sound. I did it with key fob and heard that unfamiliar sounds again. Yep the door lock/latch on passenger front works suddenly. Glad that it's working but strangest timing I've ever seen. I've had the car 10 months and it's always had this issue from day one, and yet THE day I set aside to correct it this happens?

Old 10-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Yep...my car has a mind of it's own. Now I am having a key FOB issue where they work when they want. Completely frustrates me to no end. If your FOB is programmed, cleaned and has a new battery it should work every single push of the button...right? One would think so. Makes me feel like there might be a deeper issue going on RobinGA...you have this issue at all?

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 10-28-2016, 11:59 PM

When I bought the car used it came with two key fobs. One was worn from years of use. The other looks factory fresh and even has nice crisp jaguar head button appliqué. But of course it won't work ignition. It gives security warning light if you turn it to ON position in switch. I haven't ever tried to actually crank with it for fear it might disable car. I did get the programming to work on it so it unlocks or locks doors but it won't pass the ignition security check. So we just used the well worn one

Old 10-29-2016, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by RobinGa
When I bought the car used it came with two key fobs. One was worn from years of use. The other looks factory fresh and even has nice crisp jaguar head button appliqué. But of course it won't work ignition. It gives security warning light if you turn it to ON position in switch. I haven't ever tried to actually crank with it for fear it might disable car. I did get the programming to work on it so it unlocks or locks doors but it won't pass the ignition security check. So we just used the well worn one
Oh...I get the key part. I believe from the reading I have done here on the forum you can actually program the key yourself (if it is cut already naturally) if you have TWO other keys that work. However my problem is with the FOB remote part, which I know how to program and pair but buttons still only work when they want to. Then I bought a new one off eBay that will not accept the programming at all, so I am trying to return it and the place I bought it from is trying to tell me I have to have Jaguar do it so they are refusing my return so far...can you believe that? LOL

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 10-29-2016, 08:14 AM

No I only have the one working key

If it's the smaller part With the buttons that will slide off the entire key fob assembly then I bet you got a faulty one from your eBay purchase. I ordered new remotes for a Ford Explorer and they were duds. I hope you didn't pay too much. I just chalked up my bad Explorer ones to bad luck and bought another one which turned out to be a winner.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

daddylogan - Glad to see that you got your door locking problem solved. A few weeks back, the rear passenger door on my 2002 X-Type also became locked and would not unlock either manually on the door, using the f.o.b. or using the driver's manual unlock.

Thanks to your "by chance" trying the passenger front to lock and unlock and sharing your experience it encouraged me to try the same thing. And I experienced the same good luck you had. Now the rear right door locks/unlocks both manually at the door, f.o.b. and driver's manual lock/unlock. I cannot explain why this worked, but I have come to accept easy fixes as they present themselves - after all, they are few and far between!!