Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Stereo/Touch Screen Search For 2002 X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 02:17 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo/Touch Screen Search For 2002 X-Type

Hi again folks!

Yes, I know...I have the Jag fever again. Had it with my XJ12 and now that I am a 4 day old X-Type owner I just want to absorb as much information as I can to make plans to upgrade my new ride. Sorry if I am over excited and post a tad too much. I absolutely love this forum and all the people are awesome here (this could be the beer talking....heehee...I love you man!) j/k

I know there is a audio sub forum but these question are specific to an X-type especially my year which is a 2002. Before I post I want to make you aware I have put in hours of research on this and I am almost to the finish line but need some help and guidance getting there. So here we go ;-)

Bottom line is, the X-type I just bought is in mint condition. Totally gorgeous inside and out. However it seems this is one of those that seems to me as near basic as it could get. No heated seats, no Homelink, no sunroof and what seems to be the basic stereo and no CDC in the boot. All I have is the simple CD player and radio. I will assume this is not the premium Alpine with the fiber optics that some talk about? Anyhow, it stinks and I want a little modernization as far as my audio is concerned. As a matter of fact if there is a way I can get a great touchscreen with everything built in (bluetooth, CD, MP3, Navigation, etc...) that would be the way I would want to go.

So obviously I am going to want a unit that is double din for two reasons. One, I hope to have a nice touch screen which would require that kind of set up and 2nd, a one din leaves a blank area that would look kind of...bare!!! I know I could easily get a single din unit with a pop out screen, but that is not my first choice cosmetically. Just FYI.

Ok, so in my research here is what I found out and I would like confirmation before proceeding. I will list in steps to make it easy to understand.

1) It is my understanding that the 2001 - 2004 X-types have an air vent behind the controllers that will prevent many double din installs with a depth more then 6.25 inches. I have read that the maximum depth for the stereo unit is 160 mm which converts to 6.29 inches so the radio depth cannot be more than 6 1/4 inches? Is this true as this would cancel out many desirable units.

2) I will need brackets that I assume would come with the new aftermarket unit?

3) I would need an Antenna adapter - Model Metra 40-EU10 for VW/BMW but is that same for Jaguar?

4) I would need a Wiring Harness - 70-9500 - that can be bought at Into Car Wire Harness 70-9500 METRA ?

5) I would need a Axxess controller for steering wheel - Axxess ASWC-1 which is the necessary module to keep the steering wheel controls?

6) I would need a Faceplate Kit off amazon or eBay - Metra Kit 99-9501G is the model number. Metra 99-9501G if the car has the gray dash or 99-9501B for black?

So how does all that sound so far? I am on target or am I missing something?

I also wonder if you put in an aftermarket stereo/touchscreen unit, does it affect the cars computer at all? I have read a thread earlier where if you added in the CDC you had to take it to a Jag dealer and have them tell the computer you added it in for it to work. I mean the current stereo is associated with a code and the alarm system if I am thinking correctly...right? Any thoughts on that?

So...now on to the big question. For those of you who have done aftermarket installs on your 2001 - 2004 X-types, what have you done and what product did you install? I would like to install a modern touchscreen that has navigation, stereo, mp3 CD, radio, iphone compatible...the works but I guess it has to be less than 6.25 inches deep to make it fit right or otherwise I would have a portion sticking out the facia, which I really don't want.

So what have you guys done and are the items to complete this task I listed the correct ones to get the job done? Could you list model numbers of units that would work with a 2002 X-Type as that would be appreciated!!!!

All comments welcome but please keep it on the model years (2001-2004) I am talking about as I know the 2005-2009 Jags don't have the depth issue.

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

theres lots you can do mine was like yours it had nothing so i put a double din in and it worked fine ,easy to install,but i wanted a more stock look so i made a harness and retro fitted a sat nav the added a multi media

go to my thread it has all the info you need

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-info-102632/

Last edited by dennis black; 07-31-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm looking at the same thing for my 2001. The answer seems to be a Parrot Asteroid Smart with a Parrot module that does the steering wheel controls (needs a software update). Altogether should cost you 600 - 800 but then a fascia kit added to complete and you should be all good.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I opted for a Philips double din head unit, sat nav, bluetooth, usb ect all built in and crucially it just fits. CED 1800bt ebay about 250 fakra aerial adapter about 15 steering wheel control adapter 25 ish face plate 30 ish, reversing camera was thrown in with it

Old 10-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts