Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side main headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 04:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Passenger side main headlight

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I noticed my passenger's side MAIN headlight had blown. Fortunately I had the car booked in to replace those noisy Jaguar break pads. Upon doing some research, it looked like a replacement globe was not a part available from an "auto store" and going to be a very expensive part from Jaguar. Fortunately it wasn't! If you look under the bonnet the light is virtually not reachable. Some on this site have suggested removing the bumper for access....you don't need to.
After the globe was replaced by my mechanic I washed the car a few days later and noticed moisture in the housing. Not long after the globe had blown again. I decided to try and replace myself, given I knew the globe was readily available for about $15 AUD.
The process is pretty simple, but still a pain to do. Sorry I don't have photos.

Step one is to remove the battery and housing. The housing comes out very easily after the batter is removed. The is a cable that goes to the base of the housing which is easy to remove.
Step two is release the two clips holding the rear cover to the lamp and then remove the cover.
Step three is to remove the two wires attached to the globe.
Step four is remove the globe. The little clips holding the globe into the housing are annoying to get back on, so take a photo first of how the clock back on before removal or check the users guide.
Step five is replace globe - available from any auto store (I removed the globe first and took it to the auto store to make sure I had the right globe)
Step six and the hardest bit is to put the rear cover back on. It took me half an our due to the cramp location. Once you do, just put everything back together and your done!
My mechanic must have also had a tough time getting this rear cover back on, because when I removed it I noticed the rubber seal was twisted - thus moisture getting into the fitting. I managed to get it eventually back on perfectly, so no more moisture issues when washing the car. All up it took me an hour to complete.
I wanted to share this to help anyone else in the same situation.....on and you'll need a flash light.

Regards

Stu